Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by danielvdm
I guess I have no idea what I'm doing then.
Hey, it's complicated subject matter and a very common mistake to make.

Main thing I'd say to be prepared for (unless by some chance you've already been upgraded) is; very tough route to get an upgrade on. Last-minute purchase, so at the very bottom of the list of Plats using miles in all likelihood, and, obviously behind and and all EPs, last minute premium purchasers/flight changers, etc. Even the reality that any Plat that buys a last-minute economy B-fare at this point will trump if it comes to airport list

SO, just didn't want ya to see those 15 or 20 (or whatever it was) empty seats on the seatmap and think that meant that there really were that many seats available. It's a long flight (followed by a equally long one in your case!) so... rootin' for ya, but wanted you to stay realistic, keep an eye out for better-than-average coach seats (just in case) etc.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Cool thanks. I did call AA before booking the flight to get on the one with the least seats booked up to maximize my odds. And yeah, I do have a long trip ahead of me so I hope this clears. I managed to get the first row of MCE after a few cleared up (guessing some EXPs got upgraded). By the way, is the first row of MCE on the 77W a good idea?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by gohima
I'm trying to do a mikes + copay for a red eye lax-jfk due to my new lowly status of gold. I called in to wait list and they said I should receive confirmation within 24 hours.

I received nothing and online it shows requested for the 500 mile upgrade but nothing for the upgrade award. Any way to confirm wait list status without calling?
Most of the time it will show that you've requested the 500 mile upgrades even when you ask for miles & money. But I always call to confirm that's what they show on their end. I've been told that you can't do both.

I have gotten confirmation as early as a month out and as late as the day before on the miles + co-pay. It's been closer to the flight date since A rolled out the A321, so I suspect that they are holding on until the bitter end for revenue passengers. I booked my upcoming flight this Friday in January and there was only one seat showing sold in BCN at the time (I know....). Nthe re are still 6, so I'm still hopeful.

The only thing that truly annoys me is that they can't seem to process the co-pay when the upgrade is within 48 hours of the flight, so I have to check in at the airport.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Ive bought a ticket on AA136 at 27 days out, and as an EXP cleared at the gate @LHR. But that was fall last year, not sure what it is like now.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Ive bought a ticket on AA136 at 27 days out, and as an EXP cleared at the gate @LHR. But that was fall last year, not sure what it is like now.
Reassuring
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Well for one thing, there are two daily flights now, so improved odds all around.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
In the past I've always checked in online around the 24 hour mark to make sure my name got placed on the airport UG list. The last couple of trips however it came back with something like "unable to upgrade at this time check with an airport agent". Has there been a change?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Originally Posted by danielvdm
Cool thanks. I did call AA before booking the flight to get on the one with the least seats booked up to maximize my odds. And yeah, I do have a long trip ahead of me so I hope this clears. I managed to get the first row of MCE after a few cleared up (guessing some EXPs got upgraded). By the way, is the first row of MCE on the 77W a good idea?
Not bad but I'd personally go for the second row to avoid the bulkhead.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by sukn
Well for one thing, there are two daily flights now, so improved odds all around.
Yes, absolutely true. Plus tom911 reported empty seats on one of his mid week trips.

I think our old gun-shy mindset on LAX-LHR may need to be recalibrated.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:14 pm

Yes, absolutely true. Plus tom911 reported empty seats on one of his mid week trips.

I think our old gun-shy mindset on LAX-LHR may need to be recalibrated.

I'll be the judge of that if I clear this :P . About 30 hours to go!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
I'm a bit foreign with the chances of upgrading companions on the same ticket via my SWU's. Looking at LHR-LAX, my folks will be with me so I was wondering what are the chances and best way to request the SWU's 2 months out? Since we are a group of 3, would we skipped if only 1 opens up?

They are already booked in J on award but the taxes are $175 while the exact same flight on revenue is $425.. so considering just paying the difference and saving the miles.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If you're departing the UK, you're going to pay around $100 each in additional business class taxes to use a systemwide from there on your economy fare (no extra charge when you fly home from Dublin as I'm doing this week), so make sure you factor that in.

I've upgraded three on LHR-LAX this week but they all cleared at booking from hidden EXP inventory - Expert Flyer didn't show a single upgrade seat five months out. My understanding is that it's an "all or nothing" situation when you're all on the same booking - either you all clear or none of you clear. Last week I was on a flight that was C7 at departure and you all would have cleared. I think it's a big gamble to think that's going to happen months down the line.

I've split up the booking in the past so that I'd be treated separately on a HKG trip, and then sponsored two friends that were split off that did clear one-way while I cleared both ways. In that case the booking reflected the "TCP" (to complete party) command and they cleared at the gate in the one direction as the top two of four on the gate list. The downside for that, and the reason I won't do it again when we travel together, is irregular operations. We could end up on different routings when looking for the last remaining seats on alternate flights in a weather or mechanical delay. That might be a consideration when you travel with family.

If I were you, if I can find three upgrade seats up front, I'd book that routing, even if it's not LHR-LAX. Keep in mind some of that availability is hidden at the EXP level and only an agent, once they input your account info, will be able to see it. Might be worthwhile to speak to an agent, tell them what you're looking for, and see if there are any routings where they can come up with 3 upgrade seats today.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Upgrade Chances

I am a low level silver preferred. I was actually 3 PQMs short of 25K and the airline graciously gave me a "bump" to preferred anyways. I'm curious what my chances are of actually scoring any upgrades since I know I will literally be the last person on any upgrade list.

I have some flights next month from PIT-CLT-MEM and MEM-CLT-PIT. the first leg is Tuesday morning/late morning and the return is Friday evening. I figured my chances are slim to none given my status but I do realize PIT and MEM aren't necessarily huge markets so I'm holding out some hope.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tag1084
I am a low level silver preferred. I was actually 3 PQMs short of 25K and the airline graciously gave me a "bump" to preferred anyways. I'm curious what my chances are of actually scoring any upgrades since I know I will literally be the last person on any upgrade list.

I have some flights next month from PIT-CLT-MEM and MEM-CLT-PIT. the first leg is Tuesday morning/late morning and the return is Friday evening. I figured my chances are slim to none given my status but I do realize PIT and MEM aren't necessarily huge markets so I'm holding out some hope.
Congratulations! Without the gratuitous and very friendly bump, you'd not have these worries. good luck to you.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by tag1084
I'd say the routes from MEM gives you about a 25% shot...the PIT-CLT ones at about 10%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.