Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
Yes it's based on revenue and a EXP are going to be spending a whole lot of more $$$ than a PLT... and that is why EXP upgrades are PRIORITY #1. If you read my post I'm upgraded 100 hour out on FREE UPGRADES. They are clearly upgrading me prior to PLT's who are using miles and a $75 co-pay.

Recently on a flight from JFK to LAX, a flight that was sold out 1 week before the flight, I was upgraded at the gate and told I was the only upgrade.... yes before any PLT.

My source.... American Airline staff who I know and one who happens to be my partner. PLT does not get upgraded before EXP... unless they pay full fare. I have a 99.9999% upgrade success on all my flights, I've only flown coach twice in the past 2.5 years and that was international LAX to LHR.
I did read your post and I'm happy for you that you get upgraded so consistently. I'm happy for me, too. I was recently on a similarly sold out flight and only one EXP was upgraded at the gate. I had already been upgraded the day before. So I will choose to believe the AA reps on this one.

And I still don't get why AA34 was cancelled for weather while AA2 and the 7:00 am weren't.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Funny... emailing crew to get super-special VIP treatment. How blowhardy.

I tend to feel awkward when I get the up in the air treatment...

Originally Posted by critterchick

And I still don't get why AA34 was cancelled for weather while AA2 and the 7:00 am weren't.
It isnt as linear as you might imagine.

I was on a DFW-SMF at 6:30PM that was cancelled. Weather.

Turns out the NEXT day they were expecting weather in dallas. As a result they decided to cancel the SMF-DFW that would land at noon in DFW. This was an effort to simply reduce the number of planes landing.

As a result the plane I was suppoosed to be on, the day before, which was GOING to be that SMF-DFW inbound, was canceled as AA didnt want to 'strand' the equipment in SMF.

Inbound traffic control can result in weird (frustrating) secondary cancellations.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Funny... emailing crew to get super-special VIP treatment. How blowhardy.

I tend to feel awkward when I get the up in the air treatment...

It isnt as linear as you might imagine.

I was on a DFW-SMF at 6:30PM that was cancelled. Weather.

Turns out the NEXT day they were expecting weather in dallas. As a result they decided to cancel the SMF-DFW that would land at noon in DFW. This was an effort to simply reduce the number of planes landing.

As a result the plane I was suppoosed to be on, the day before, which was GOING to be that SMF-DFW inbound, was canceled as AA didnt want to 'strand' the equipment in SMF.

Inbound traffic control can result in weird (frustrating) secondary cancellations.
Got it, thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I guess they do technically, but only after every other requested upgrade will be filled. Which might be why you havent seen them, it is my impression that many flights go out with upgrades still waiting.
I fly alot of 767 flights which for somereason seem to go with unsold J seats this is why I asked, I have never missed an SWU on AA80/81 but now no SWU so will have to ask if they are available and if so at what cost
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Plat
For your best chances, I'd suggest using an app like ExpertFlyer that can give you notifications when F seats become available within the 24 hour window. Wait to check in until you get a notification or you're at the airport, as once you check-in it's pretty much game over.

Good luck!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:04 pm

I have a question around how SWU wait list is processed.

I want to travel with my family to Europe (4 pax) and I am the only with status (EXP) and nobody else has any status. I am wondering if it is better to have 1 PNR or 4 separate PNRs.

I believe the wait list goes by Status level (EXP is higher than PLT than GLD and finally no status) and then time / date stamp of when you were placed on the list. Also, if we are all in a single PNR the entire family inherits the EXP status priority but not if we are in separate PNRs.

Hence I am wondering what happens if 2 SWUs become available and we are the first 4 on wait list and there is 1 more EXP and 1 more PLT on the wait list but with later time / date stamp than us. Will 2 out of family of 4 get upgraded or the 2 will get assigned to the pax lower down the wait list.

Also, can you put expert flyer alerts on SWU availability and proactively manage the PNR splits later as and when the SWU become available.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
SWU upgrades on LAX-GRU route

I have no insight to the popularity of this route. Thinking of making the route as ORD-LAX-GRU for more EQM rather than MIA/JFK. Even if agent calls it backtracking, I am happy to just use the SWU for LAX-GRU. Hopefully EXP status will clear the domestic segments.

Just trying to gauge an idea what are the chances here few months out? Is this like DFW-HKG where 20+ EXPs end up praying to be cleared at gate or is it better? I checked expertflyer for few random dates and it looked pretty busy in J cabin with 0 C inventory.

Suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:28 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Done it twice, and I think loads are somewhat inconsistent on the route. I've never seen C or A inventory much outside of a 7-10 day window, which seems somewhat consistent with other GRU routes.

Two of my flights were jammed in all cabins. Another had me and my travel companion in F (plus 1 pilot) on upgrades, and only 8-12 people in J. Y was jammed.

It seems to be popular but it also, IMO, is probably among the easier GRU upgrades in the system. Plenty of Brazilian VFR and tourist traffic in Y, not sure tons of premium demand.

OTOH, the F/A on one of the flights mentioned they have a robust cargo business, especially xLAX, which might explain why it's a 777 and not a 763 or 77W. Plenty of cargo space on the 777, but no need for the premium capacity of the 77W. DL used to run LAX-GRU on 763, so it's doable if they deemed it the right equipment for the route.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:46 am

Need some advice.

I am AA PLT and flying JFK-SFO AA 179 Sat 3/28 - I booked more than 45 days out

Right now, seat map says 9 Seats open in J. Y is packed. EF says: J7 D7 I6 Y4 B1 H1

Currently, no C upgrades available. Guessing that will change at T-24 or sooner.

The questions is, jump on the C upgrade when it becomes available or hold out for the sticker upgrade?

Recommendations?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA exp
Originally Posted by flyer229dm
Need some advice.

I am AA PLT and flying JFK-SFO AA 179 Sat 3/28 - I booked more than 45 days out

Right now, seat map says 9 Seats open in J. Y is packed. EF says: J7 D7 I6 Y4 B1 H1

Currently, no C upgrades available. Guessing that will change at T-24 or sooner.

The questions is, jump on the C upgrade when it becomes available or hold out for the sticker upgrade?

Recommendations?
You need to keep in mind that if you wait for sticker option you will be lower priority than any EXP on that flight and also any PLT that has a higher base fare so it is a bit of a gamble.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by moki1
and also any PLT that has a higher base fare
That is not correct, unless you are talking about Y/B fares. The upgrade list uses time of request within each status level.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by _kurt
That is not correct, unless you are talking about Y/B fares. The upgrade list uses time of request within each status level.
An important correction.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Globalist
SWU Odd for TATL Flights

Long time reader, first time poster....not the first to say this.

Curious to know how things look for an AA EXP getting a SWU to clear for AA50 on 15 April from Coach to Business and the same for return on 19 April on AA51

Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Traveling LHR-JFK-ORD on 4/5. Used miles to upgrade LHR-JFK but waitlisted for upgrade on AA 199 back to Chicago. Looks like flight is F3A0P0 at the moment. Does AA typically open up "A" class before "X" or will I be battling for my place with the sticker crowd?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by cwiderst
long time reader, first time poster....not the first to say this.

Curious to know how things look for an aa exp getting a swu to clear for aa50 on 15 april from coach to business and the same for return on 19 april on aa51

thanks
when did you request the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.