Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Delta DM
Update: 12 hours until flight and I'm #1 on waitlist. Crossing fingers!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:01 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Silver is basically a small acknowledgement of loyalty since you get free bag check, preferred seating and priority boarding. An upgrade is a "nice to have", but I rarely expect it.

When you get transferred to AA Gold, you might have slightly better upgrade chances because you have to pay for them in the form of $30 per 500 miles or spending the 500 mile "stickers" they give you at thresholds. There will be other Golds and Platinums who choose not to use their 500 mile upgrade certs (aka "stickers"), so the battlefield you are on will be smaller.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by tom911
If you're departing the UK, you're going to pay around $100 each in additional business class taxes to use a systemwide from there on your economy fare (no extra charge when you fly home from Dublin as I'm doing this week), so make sure you factor that in.

I've upgraded three on LHR-LAX this week but they all cleared at booking from hidden EXP inventory - Expert Flyer didn't show a single upgrade seat five months out. My understanding is that it's an "all or nothing" situation when you're all on the same booking - either you all clear or none of you clear. Last week I was on a flight that was C7 at departure and you all would have cleared. I think it's a big gamble to think that's going to happen months down the line.

I've split up the booking in the past so that I'd be treated separately on a HKG trip, and then sponsored two friends that were split off that did clear one-way while I cleared both ways. In that case the booking reflected the "TCP" (to complete party) command and they cleared at the gate in the one direction as the top two of four on the gate list. The downside for that, and the reason I won't do it again when we travel together, is irregular operations. We could end up on different routings when looking for the last remaining seats on alternate flights in a weather or mechanical delay. That might be a consideration when you travel with family.

If I were you, if I can find three upgrade seats up front, I'd book that routing, even if it's not LHR-LAX. Keep in mind some of that availability is hidden at the EXP level and only an agent, once they input your account info, will be able to see it. Might be worthwhile to speak to an agent, tell them what you're looking for, and see if there are any routings where they can come up with 3 upgrade seats today.
Thank you for the detailed input. I can confirm the same "hidden" availability as well as it happened a few times on my 10 DFW-HKG flights the past 6 months.

We are departing either OSL or CPH which sets their award taxes at ~$175, while the return fare is an incredible $425. However, I'm surprised ex-LHR would incur additional taxes with an SWU. Considering all the factors and that's only 2 months out, I'm probably just going to stick with me only on revenue.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Yeah, I wouldn't count on it. BUT things do happen. If it's a US marketed and operated flight, be sure to check in right at T-24. You can change your seat during OLCI and choose an open F seat if there are any. I scored several upgrades this way as Silver last year, including ATL-CLT and SFO-PHX. Congrats on making it into the elite ranks!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by tag1084
I am a low level silver preferred. I was actually 3 PQMs short of 25K and the airline graciously gave me a "bump" to preferred anyways. I'm curious what my chances are of actually scoring any upgrades since I know I will literally be the last person on any upgrade list.
One consolation... You may not be the very last person on the upgrade list. 😊

Many US elites earn on segments. Someone renewing Silver on segments may have as few as 15,000 PQM and it is PQM that prioritizes upgrades within a tier on US.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA exp
So here is new datapoint to ponder.....
I just got off phone with EXP desk regarding SWU for my flight in May, DFW-LHR(Y-J). When I booked in Jan. not available but flight wide open. In the past usually I have had good luck with clearing 1-2 months out if flight wide open in J. Today agent told me she doubts it will clear until T-24 out because of the merger of FF programs and the inclusion of the CP in the EXP group despite J being wide open. This is apparently a new policy until the merger of programs is complete.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I've been Silver since October and was upgraded LAS-DCA (on a Tuesday afternoon) and BOS-DCA (right after Christmas). I was very surprised both times but miracles happen I guess! Wondering if I'll get upgraded DCA-MSY and DCA-BUF in May.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moki1
....This is apparently a new policy until the merger of programs is complete.
That's very, very much to be determined until confirmed by at -least- more reports along the same lines (AAgents stating so, and, if they state it exactly like that.)
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Still waiting on my UPG ORD-LGA tomorrow night. As always this one clears much later than my outbounds LGA-ORD.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by moki1
So here is new datapoint to ponder.....
I just got off phone with EXP desk regarding SWU for my flight in May, DFW-LHR(Y-J). When I booked in Jan. not available but flight wide open. In the past usually I have had good luck with clearing 1-2 months out if flight wide open in J. Today agent told me she doubts it will clear until T-24 out because of the merger of FF programs and the inclusion of the CP in the EXP group despite J being wide open. This is apparently a new policy until the merger of programs is complete.
Color me skeptical. eVIPs are currently still clearing in advance depending on market and flight loads.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
Color me skeptical. eVIPs are currently still clearing in advance depending on market and flight loads.
I'm skeptical too. Is there an AA upgrade instrument for CP's I'm not aware of?

Either (1) the CP is also EXP, and is using his/her own SWUs, or (2) the CP is being gifted an SWU by an EXP.

Neither case has anything to do with the merger.

Unless I'm missing something...

Last edited by pmblinn; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:48 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Mar 18, 2015, 5:06 pm

Just cleared LAX-LHR on miles + copay. Check-in agent told me I was #1 on waitlist and to just wait. I was chilling in the lounge and then I heard a famous tennis player get called to the front desk (there's a big event in LA this week) so I decide to wander over and meet the guy. Took the opportunity to then check on my upgrade and the lady said I was still #1 but she could just confirm it right then (why couldn't the check-in agent??).

Anyway, confirmed into a good seat and I'm happy.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: BA-life Gold; AA-EXP 4m+; Virgin-Gold; SPG-Life Plat; Hilton-Diamond; Marriott-Plat; Amex Centurion
Airport upgrade waitlist on AA

Hello everyone. I have a question regarding complimentary upgrades for EP's and the airport upgrade standby list. On a recent flight from JFK-LAX I was number 3 on the upgrade list (using comp EP upgrades). Just prior to doors closing they cleared 3 passengers from the upgrade list - numbers 1, 4 and 6. My understanding is that the ranking on the airport list displayed both at the gate and on your smart-phone app takes into account status, time when upgrade requested and fare paid, so why wouldn't the upgrades be allocated in rank order? I have had occasions when my rank has altered due to new passengers being added to the list, but this was not the case. I remained in position 3, but they skipped me and upgraded numbers 4 and 6 instead! I enquired with the purser and he gave an excuse that 4 and 6 must have had higher fares, but doesn't the automated ranking take that into account. What is the point of a ranking if it doesn't mean anything?? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA exp
This does not concern eVIP's. This is over use of international SWU's if not cleared at initial booking as far as I understood it. In other words, we will all be holding our breath till T-24 if you are not able to get the UPG initially.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:01 pm

To further elaborate on AA136 LAX-LHR, three (of 5) passengers were cleared at the gate and I was #1 of that list at check in as a PLT who had booked his ticket less than a week before. So upgradability doesn't look too dire. At least on a Wednesday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.