Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by tjtg
Thanks rjw242! One follow up question, does AA maintain a separate C inventory for the whole route (rather than aligning A availability on the domestic portion and C availability on the overseas portion)? I guess I'll just switch to another flight from DCA-JFK before or after to break up the flight numbers.
See if they will break it up for you as two segments. They dont have 'separate' inventory, but they cannot give you one segment of a 'direct' flight.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL Plat; CX MPC Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
See if they will break it up for you as two segments. They dont have 'separate' inventory, but they cannot give you one segment of a 'direct' flight.
That's really helpful advice. I decided to switch to the next later flight (since I have a B fare) so that I wouldn't be on AA 104. After getting transferred to the Tariffs Dept., bounced to a normal ticketing line, and then back to AAdvantage, I was able to explain on the third attempt that there was indeed C bucket availability.

Now I know to be careful about these "direct" flight numbers! Thanks y'all!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Hi, new to AA.

Will be matching over to ExPlat from United 1K.

Are ExPlats eligible for Business -> First upgrades on Transcon flights?

I'm booked in I on an upcoming MR (LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY) and wanted to know if I would be eligible for complimentary upgrades from business to First.

If not, what are the ways to upgrade? Are the 500 mile certs good? Only miles+copay? Only buyup?

Any insight would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find clear direction (other than the miles + copay option).
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1kIAH
Hi, new to AA.

Will be matching over to ExPlat from United 1K.

I'm booked in I on an upcoming MR (LAX-JFK-MIA-PTY) and wanted to know if I would be eligible for complimentary upgrades from business to First.

If not, what are the ways to upgrade? Are the 500 mile certs good? Only miles+copay? Only buyup?

Any insight would be appreciated as I haven't been able to find clear direction (other than the miles + copay option).
Complimentary EXP upgrades cannot be used for Business to First; they only get you out of economy to the next level of service. Your best options are to use a systemwide upgrade or miles+copay.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjw242
Complimentary EXP upgrades cannot be used for Business to First; they only get you out of economy to the next level of service. Your best options are to use a systemwide upgrade or miles+copay.
Thanks!

Looks like I need to decide if J > F on AA Transcon is worth $175 and the miles.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 1kIAH
I've heard mixed stories on whether this should happen or not. My wife & I are 1 for 1 on J to F upgrades from LAX to JFK (US flight #, AA operated A321T) as EXP (no 500 mile certs or SWUs used). Don't know if it's an exception or the rule.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
I've heard mixed stories on whether this should happen or not. My wife & I are 1 for 1 on J to F upgrades from LAX to JFK (US flight #, AA operated A321T) as EXP (no 500 mile certs or SWUs used). Don't know if it's an exception or the rule.
Was it an OP up, or an actual 'sticker' (or free for exp) upgrade?

Were you on a list and the upgrade was processed and clearer, check mark at name, etc??
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
BDL to DFW for Monday 7AM flight cleared at exactly 100 hours.

In the past month I have seen a change back to the more or less routine in upgrades.

Also spoke with a long time AA EXP, who reported that his regular USAir flights are starting to send upgrade notices at the 100 hour window as well.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
SWU and Miles will have same priority. I would ONLY change to an SWU if they can keep the same upgrade request date of 3 months earlier. MAKE SURE they confirm that before making any changes.
Is this possible? I will probably make EXP again this year so might request miles+money right away if I can change to SWU and keep the request date.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
MIA-ORD 8/29 AA1287, no F seat available at T100.
Same thing for the same flight on 9/12, I didn't know that this flight could be full 3 weeks before my trip ;-(.

ORD-MIA 8/30 AA2458 upgraded at T100
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
AA 153 ORD-NRT on September 2, 2015.

EF showing J7 R7 D7 I6 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 G7 O7
Says at least 7 J seats available, but shows C0.

Seat map shows 17 J seats available and MCE sparsely occupied.

I'm guessing they have not released any C inventory yet, but what do you think my chances are for miles + copay as a Platinum?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TheSinister

I'm guessing they have not released any C inventory yet, but what do you think my chances are for miles + copay as a Platinum?
I would say your chances are very good. 1A looks like it's blocked so that one is probably unoccupied as well. Even if everyone from the MCE cabin were to have requested an upgrade, they would likely all clear at this point.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:56 pm

"I6" is a good sign, they are offering Business seats at the deepest discounts.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
"I6" is a good sign, they are offering Business seats at the deepest discounts.
Now showing J7 R7 D7 I7 and is now T-24. Still C0 though.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Now showing J7 R7 D7 I7 and is now T-24. Still C0 though.
They'll probably release it around T-4, that's what they've recently been doing on domestic upgrades at least. Still looks really good for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.