Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:18 am

Expert flyer shows C3 for an international leg but AA Desk won't see it!

Hi there,

Trying to apply an SWU for an international flight that I have... for some reason Expert flyer shows availability "C3" but AA EXP Desk can't see it...

Have anybody faced this issue before ?

thanks!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by bilica
Hi there,

Trying to apply an SWU for an international flight that I have... for some reason Expert flyer shows availability "C3" but AA EXP Desk can't see it...

thanks!
Flight number? Date of flight?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
What would you do?

I've been reading the different upgrade threads and PALL list wiki and I'm still a little unclear on how things work, so I just want to through this scenario out there and get some expert FT advice.

My wife and I are traveling to YVR on Monday and are hoping to sit up front. We are on separate PNRs - hers booked in May and mine booked in July. When I booked her ticket I called to apply a SWU, but it wasn't available and went to the waitlist. When my ticket was booked, I requested the standard EXP sticker upgrade. Fast forward to today and we are both still waitlisted with the flight showing J2 (seatmap shows 4). For purposes of the airport standby list, would it be better to leave things as they are or to change her request type to EXP companion/stickers? As I understand it, there is really no difference between SWU/stickers once it gets to the airport list and with the SWU she would not be "sharing" my status level, correct? If I list her as a companion, should would at least share my status level, but the timestamp would be reset right?

Thanks a lot for any insights...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Hi there,

thanks!

What is your complete routing? all cities on the routing.

All AA flights? AA ticket? As above dates and numbers help
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Flight number? Date of flight?
AA 951 tomorrow
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:10 am

AA 951 tomorrow
I suspect that expert flyer just happened to catch C inventory showing while the AA system was releasing C space and upgrading the next people on the list.

Not uncommon.

Usually it is gone by the time you call. I also dont think an AA agent would grab those transient seats, although I am not sure they would recognize what is happening if you just happened to call and they found them.

All IMO
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I suspect that expert flyer just happened to catch C inventory showing while the AA system was releasing C space and upgrading the next people on the list.

Not uncommon.

Usually it is gone by the time you call. I also dont think an AA agent would grab those transient seats, although I am not sure they would recognize what is happening if you just happened to call and they found them.

All IMO
Thanks for the input - but it is still showing C3 when I pull out the flight on itself.

However if I pull the flight in conjunction with a connecting flight before it shows C0 for a couple of connections and C3 for a couple of other connections...

Just wondering if this is supposed to happen or if it is a glitch from EF
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Who gets all those business class seats? Do the actually sell a lot of them? This is my first shot at a mileage upgrade on AA. Had decent luck with United - until they started selling upgrades at the gate.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the input - but it is still showing C3 when I pull out the flight on itself.

However if I pull the flight in conjunction with a connecting flight before it shows C0 for a couple of connections and C3 for a couple of other connections...

Just wondering if this is supposed to happen or if it is a glitch from EF
For me, EF isn't showing C at all.

I'm seeing: F6 P5 A2 J3 R3 D2 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K4 M2 L0 V0 S0 N0 O0 Q0 G0

F looks wide open (only two occupied) while J looks pretty full. Y+ has a few open, but not a lot. My only guess is that if it was showing C3 before, there were considerably more than 3 on the upgrade list and they were just holding it to be run at the airport rather than clear anyone in advance. Just a guess on that one though.

Edit: okay now I see C0. Apparently you have to view that in the upgrade tab now.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:30 am

Im seeing C0 right now for AA951 JFK-GRU. Not sure what you are 'pulling out on itself'

There is a thing called married segments (I think) were odd things happen with 2 and 3 class planes:

For example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...estic-leg.html

might not be the same issue you have.

I am still wondering how I pull up the flight and see C0 and you do the same and see C3?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
For me, EF isn't showing C at all.

I'm seeing: F6 P5 A2 J3 R3 D2 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K4 M2 L0 V0 S0 N0 O0 Q0 G0
You need to look on the "upgrades and awards' tab on EF to see C inventory.

The line you posted above is for sold inventories
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by remedy
Who gets all those business class seats? Do the actually sell a lot of them? .
In my last 30 trips to Europe I bought business seats on 29.5 of them.... One leg I bouch coach and upgraded Y to J.

Yes, they sell business seats.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Im seeing C0 right now for AA951 JFK-GRU. Not sure what you are 'pulling out on itself'

There is a thing called married segments (I think) were odd things happen with 2 and 3 class planes:

For example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...estic-leg.html

might not be the same issue you have.

I am still wondering how I pull up the flight and see C0 and you do the same and see C3?
Thanks Exec_Plat - I did see C3 for approximately a full hour. However now it shows C0 again...

And I did had this problem of "married segments". Some segments were showing C3 while others were not.

The (probable) good news is that my seat on Economy it empty now... hopefully I have been upgraded.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:11 am

Or super bad news!

Probable good though.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Exec_Plat - I did see C3 for approximately a full hour. However now it shows C0 again...

And I did had this problem of "married segments". Some segments were showing C3 while others were not.

The (probable) good news is that my seat on Economy it empty now... hopefully I have been upgraded.
If your original seat in Y now shows vacant and you cannot access the seat map to select a J seat on AA.com call AA immediately! You need to sort this out and make sure that you've been upgraded and placed into a J seat. You definitely want to ensure you have a seat assignment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.