Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
ORD/DUS/ORD

AA 242 on 9/25 7 seats yet unassigned (2 blocked)
AA 241 on 10/4 16 seats unassigned (2 blocked)

Waitlisted for mileage upgrade for 2 pax (1 plat, 1 gold) on same PNR

Think we have a shot at upgrades (esp 242 over)?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a real head scratcher.
Booked tomorrow on AA #5922 SFO-LAX as an EXP and still haven't cleared.
The weird thing is the flight is showing F7 A7 P7 and show only 2 people in first along with MCE pretty open. I called the EXP desk and they confirmed my upgrade is still showing requested. If they think they will sell 10 seats in first good luck. Any insight?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:17 pm

Booked on AA 136 LAX-LHR on 8/15 (Saturday). SWU requested months ago, but hasn't cleared. EXP desk waffles about "it looks bad", but "it may clear any time". Any wisdom?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remedy

That's going to be a tough one. I would suggest making sure you're happy with your Y seats.

Originally Posted by brc757rr
The weird thing is the flight is showing F7 A7 P7 and show only 2 people in first along with MCE pretty open. I called the EXP desk and they confirmed my upgrade is still showing requested. If they think they will sell 10 seats in first good luck. Any insight?
It seems as though AA is now holding back upgrades within 24 hours no matter what the availability looks like.

Originally Posted by Astromiles
Booked on AA 136 LAX-LHR on 8/15 (Saturday). SWU requested months ago, but hasn't cleared. EXP desk waffles about "it looks bad", but "it may clear any time". Any wisdom?
EF shows J4, no C at the moment. There's a few open in Y+ so if you did in fact request months ago you could have a shot.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
6 open seats in F but F3. Does this mean they are holding space to 'roll'? They know they will oversell in J or Y, but will sell F3, upgrade 3, which will then open J space??

Currently 5 open J seats based on the map (of course who knows what is really open)

Just a rough guess they will upgrade a few to F; plus will have perhaps have 3 to 5 open in J ...so 5 to 10 people will get the Y to J nod.

All depends on where you are

They are oversold in Y. Y0 means they have oversold it as much as permitted.

I expect they will not clear anything until it goes to airport control. If they were to clear now it would allow deeper overbooking.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Aug 13, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
If it clears, it will be at the gate. LAX-LHR is a a tough route too.

As cmd320 said, make sure you have your Y seats. It's anybody's guess but with PLT/GLD, 242 (J4 right now) will most probably not clear. 241... still has few open seats.

Originally Posted by cmd320
It seems as though AA is now holding back upgrades within 24 hours no matter what the availability looks like.
I can second that. Many ex-SFO routes (to DFW/ORD/WAS) clear only few hours prior to departure.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by brc757rr
Naw. Just lazy? Sometimes the flight before will be F0 and they know pax on that short route may bounce to an earlier or later flight...but that F is wide open.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:06 pm

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 6:39 pm

Any chance at a sticker upgrade on Chirstmas Eve JFK-LAX 11:00 am flight for a gold?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cosmith
Any chance at a sticker upgrade on Chirstmas Eve JFK-LAX 11:00 am flight for a gold?
Flying on a off-travel day for business, you probably have better odds than normal. But I'd guess a Gold member on the A321T JFK-LAX has pretty low odds regardless of day. Just keep an eye on EF and cross your fingers.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:43 pm

Yes, same chance that Santa will be seated next to you.

IMO AA will **SELL** that F seat, no problem.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Is this the thread where we complain about the lack of international C availability or is that somewhere else? (pout)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
It will be a largely elite lite day so you will be basically competing with paid J. The $1200 transcon fares work against you but the situation is not as dire as others have suggested. In fact, double upgrades are known to happen on certain flights around the holidays when there is virtually no paid F or J and as such AA sells the heck out of Y.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
As cmd320 said, make sure you have your Y seats. It's anybody's guess but with PLT/GLD, 242 (J4 right now) will most probably not clear. 241... still has few open seats.

Bummer! We have 21 A&B.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

Bummer! We have 21 A&B.
That's good at least. Those are some of if not the best on the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.