Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: AA Exp 1.3mm, HH Dia, SPG Gld, IHG Plt
IMHO, AA would be making a huge mistake implementing a change like this, especially now when all these UA 1Ks are jumping ship and are overwhelmingly happy with AA vs UA (based on the UA forum). The reason many of these 1Ks came over was specifically due to UA selling upgrades in front on elites. Crappy timing if you really want to make this change.

But, I really don't think they are making this change and hopefully it was just glitch. I've had 12 segments in the last 30 days and every one of them cleared (and all but a couple of the 300+ segments over the last 3yrs). Now they could have sold some seats prior to my upgrades, but as long as it didn't take my seat, no worries. And if this was being implemented, I would expect that more and more EXPs would be missing upgrades and posting here within milliseconds!!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Until AA says otherwise, the most we can draw from this is that something went wrong on this flight.
I think it speaks volumes about the trust deficit that AA's bean counters have created, though.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:49 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
This also occurred on Flight 1121 today. There were 7 open seats in first and Y was oversold by 8. Now Y is oversold only by 6 and only 5 seats left in first. Typically they assign all first seats but 1 by now. New trend? Only 90 minutes until take off / 60 until boarding.

None of the elites got the UG. There is one 1T in front of me.
OK, in my situation I learned afterwards that the two upgrades were actually volunteers from the last flight that was oversold. Both passengers already had confirmed first class seats. So I am fairly certain it did not happen on my flight.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
I have a management-level contact at AAdvantage, brought this thread to that individual's attention. Will let you know if I hear anything. From my experience with this person and others at AAdvantage, I can say that they really seem to care about keeping EXPs happy (for obvious reasons) and can almost guarantee this is either:

A) a glitch
B) a new policy that will soon allow EXPs to purchase upgrades, likely before others

However, I really don't see any possibility that this situation (allowing non-elites to upgrade, with no chance for EXPs to) is AA's endgame. It doesn't make any business sense at all, and AA knows where its money comes from.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
While everyone gets worked up about this and acts as if the sky is fAAling allow me to interrupt with an alternative view point and some objectivity.

AA has an obligation to their other stakeholders-not just FFs flying around earning AAdvantage bennies. Given the restructuring and rising fuel prices (anyone that pays attention to the capital markets would know oil is once again approach $100/bbl) its easy to understand why AA needs to raise cash.

They reserve the right, as ESpen36 pointed out, to change, modify, eliminate program benefits at anytime and we have no recourse. Plenty of other carriers engage in these schemes, most notably UA but I saw DL had a similar offer at DTW several weeks ago as well with Medallions still on the UG list.

It's not sustainable to have people purchase $99 transcon fares to fly on 767s in J/F on free UGs, I know many here enjoy this (as do I and have done so often in the past) but looking at AA's plans going forward it seems upgrades on those routes will be fewer and far between independent of any possible program changes.

There are definitely people that are over entitled when it comes to expectations of upgrades and FF benefits. Posters on the UA forum expect $500 compensation for having a complimentary upgrade rescinded on a domestic flight, demand to have multiple seats on the plane blocked (after only purchasing a single seat), cry and moan to the FA to get another $100.

Originally Posted by JWongInSF
I was upgraded 96 hours prior to departure and reserved 3C on A320

24 hours before departure, I checked-in for my flight. System said to "see agent". They had downgraded to A319, which means I lost of upgrade.

Received $500 and agent gave me emergency exit row. They said they blocked off the middle seat/window seat.

When I boarded, and door closed, a pax decided to move into the seat next to me. I complained to FA that the gate agent had purposely blocked off the seat because i was downgraded.

FA said the agent is not alllowed to block any seats.

FA gave me another voucher for $100.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19063925-post651.html

I imagine there will be some reforms to the AA program post emergence and many of them people here won't like.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
I imagine there will be some reforms to the AA program post emergence and many of them people here won't like.
If these were announced changes this would be a very different thread.

The concern so far is simply that what happened on this flight appears to be contrary to stated policy.

This isn't a matter of people lacking in objectivity, just tying to understand an apparent contradiction, if AA want to change the policy that is one thing, just ignoring it (if that is what happened) isn't acceptable.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
It's not sustainable to have people purchase $99 transcon fares to fly on 767s in J/F on free UGs, I know many here enjoy this (as do I and have done so often in the past) but looking at AA's plans going forward it seems upgrades on those routes will be fewer and far between independent of any possible program changes.
It is also not sustainable to offer UGs to non-status pax without even giving EXPs a chance to UG, which is what is so unnerving to many previous posters.

As I said above, though, I really see no possible way that is a long-term strategy and is either a glitch or a transition period to a new system where EXPs can choose to buy UGs. If that's the case, it's bad, but not nearly as bad as not even giving EXPs/other elites the chance to UG.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
If these were announced changes this would be a very different thread.

The concern so far is simply that what happened on this flight appears to be contrary to stated policy.

This isn't a matter of people lacking in objectivity, just tying to understand an apparent contradiction, if AA want to change the policy that is one thing, just ignoring it (if that is what happened) isn't acceptable.
AA can change their policies and procedures at anytime and does not need to provide us notice. I'm not defending or condoning this but it seems to me on the proceeding two pages people are fairly riled up about this yet keep saying how they have 100% or near 100% upgrade stats it just doesn't make sense. It's like all the people here that are kvetching about AA switching to 3-4-3 on the 772 and new 77Ws, they probably rarely sit in international Y (thanks to generous SWU policy) yet praise EK constantly who operates the same configuration.

But I agree communicating these changes to customers would the appropriate thing to do.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:08 am

While everyone gets worked up about this and acts as if the sky is fAAling allow me to interrupt with an alternative view point and some objectivity.

If you were being objective you wouldn't have ignored the complaint of many that EXPs are not being given the opportunity to purchase these upgrades.
Objectivity requires looking at all the facts presented. Spin on the other hand only requires looking at those details that suit
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by nickflies
It is also not sustainable to offer UGs to non-status pax without even giving EXPs a chance to UG, which is what is so unnerving to many previous posters.
Well get over it, its been going on at CO for years and now the over entitled UA people are flipping out about it. Visit ATL or DTW, DL does it all day everyday as well.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:14 am

Well get over it, its been going on at CO for years and now the over entitled UA people are flipping out about it. Visit ATL or DTW, DL does it all day everyday as well.
No, I'm not going to "get over it" because I won't have to, and it doesn't make someone "over entitled" in any case to expect the chance to upgrade as an Elite (even if cash is eventually involved) when non-status pax are allowed to. This is not something the AAdvantage team is going to implement.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Difficult as it may be, we must try and avoid jumping to general conclusions on the back of this one 'confirmed' incident.
This isn't the first. However it is the first report backed up with jetnet evidence prior to the flight's departure.

Dec 26th, 2011

Originally Posted by reft
I was offered an upgrade today during OLCI for a W coach fare, for $135 (1200 mile flight; had been $105 in the past for same flight when offered at the kiosk) I did not [try to] check in at T-24, but more inside of T-18.

Feb 28th:

Originally Posted by ParsleyMay
My husband and I just came back from a trip to India (ORD-DEL-ORD), and requested to use our EVIPs on both legs of the trip. (tickets were purchased 4 months out).

The EVIPs didn't clear on either leg . We were feeling quite confident on the return, because there were several seats left in business class with less than 24 hours to go, confirmed by calling AA, in fact the agent seemed perplexed as to why our upgrades hadn't cleared.

Then, when we checked in online, we were offered to buy upgrades to business class for $800 apiece (LFBUs ?) If we hadn't been trying to use our EVIPs we might have taken the deal, but we really would have liked to use them.

On arrival to the DEL airport we were told that business class was sold out, so we spent the 15 1/2 hr flight in coach (thank God for Ambien and exit row seats, but unfortunately also with an inoperable entertainment device. Grrr.)

My question is, Is this common practice? And if so, are we likely to ever be able to use our EVIPs? Or is AA's goal to force us to use them on a domestic flight or not at all?

Most of our flying is on smaller one-class regional jets or international flights, so I already have a backlog of 30 500-mile upgrades that I don't seem to be able to use, either.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

(I wasn't sure whether to add this to the EVIP thread or start a new one. Also, I searched, and didn't find this answered anywhere.)
Originally Posted by ParsleyMay
So AA called me back and said that this circumstance was unusual, but that they were running a "special" in Delhi that gave LFBUs to non-elites priority over EVIPs, but that was "unusual" and EVIPs are still "very valuable."

Why do I not find this satisfying?

Feb 28th:

Originally Posted by chuck1
My friend, who has no status, received her 24 hour email reminder that it was time to check in.

When she opened the email, it offered her the option to buy an upgrade for $135 from DCA to DFW.

I mentioned this to an EXP agent who said she has only seen this at the kiosk and never online. I said I certainly hoped it meant no elite members, including Golds, were waiting for an X seat to clear.
Originally Posted by nomaadic
my non-elite brother was offered a $90 LFBU on AA699, BOS-ORD on February 22nd. via online check-in.

April 2nd:

Originally Posted by rikramer
I was sitting in my LGA-ORD X seat the other day and the man beside me told me how he got to sit in first. He told me that he doesn't have status, he purchased a cheap (~$200) fare in economy, and then when he went to check in online he was offered the ability to move into first for only $90. Can someone please explain to me how this works? The upgrade list was over 20 people long for this flight. How exactly does AA determine how many of X inventory to sell as upgrades vs. providing for "free" to those with status?

April 12th:

Originally Posted by HNL
LFBU has been pushed to OLCI too. My non-status spouse was offered a LFBU for $90 on an ORD-DCA flight last week - the flight was F6X0 and went out with First Full. When I got to the gate at T-35 min there was 1 person on the UG list.

In the case of the OP, the people on the UG list could have only requested their UGs when they checked-in and asked to be added to the UG list.

April 4th:

Originally Posted by nrr
The following situation, while not exactly the same as the main gist of this thread, is related:
I had an evip pending for jfk-zrh, in Feb. 2010 [I could not do OLCI since the evip was wait listed, and since ranking is based on when you did OLCI, I was #7 (per AC agent) on the list. At jfk while printing my bp from the kiosk, I was offered the upgrade for $3000. I don't know if anyone "bit" at that price.
The GA, announced at the start of boarding, that NO upgrades or standbys were going to be processed, since the flight was "sold-out". BUT I did get a notification from expert flyer (time stamped 5 minutes after departure) that one "c" class seat was available.

May 30th:

Originally Posted by cover point
Flying to Boston today with some colleagues and found that my upgrade had not cleared this morning. Printed my coach boarding pass and got ready to leave for the airport. Another colleague with no status flying with me shows me their boarding pass and it had first class on it. He said at check in the night before he was offered first class for $80 and took it.

My upgrade eventually cleared a couple of hours before departure but I was curious. Do lfbu upgrades clear before exp upgrades? I was also travelling with someone with life time gold who wanted to use stickers and their upgrade did not clear.

And then there was this "statement" from AA's official presence here:

Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
American Airlines policy is to always confirm existing elite customer upgrade requests before offering Load Factor Based Upgrades to non-elite customers. However, in some situations, we are unable to account for unexpected additions to the upgrade waitlist which occur within 24 hours of flight departure time. Elite customers requesting an upgrade are advised to add their names to the upgrade waitlist as early as possible.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by nickflies
This is not something the AAdvantage team is going to implement.
Based on the example in this thread, it seems they already have.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:20 am

Based on the example in this thread, it seems they already have.
Anecdotal evidence ≠ new policy.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 8:23 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
I would expect lots of others (like me) who like(d) aa's program and did lots of leisure traveling with aa because of it (even putting up with TSA).
I (and possibly others) could find other leisure activities which does not involve flying.
Like you, I am 100% leisure travel and made a conscious decision about a month ago to not go for EXP again this year with 85K EQP in the bag by EOY. Now I am even more happy I made that decision. My rationale prior to this was that the extra $2600 it would have cost me to make EXP just didn't make sense when I can purchase 2 RT F tickets to Vail for the same price, and most of my other travel is international travel on AONEx and ACIRnn fares or TATLs on I/D fares. Why do I need EXP? I will miss the F lounges on international flights that don't have F or I have purchased I/D, and I will miss the I/D to F upgrades on AA. I can live with that.

With LT Plat, I also won't hesitate to book other airlines if the fare is better. I do that now booking paid UA F to Vail once a year. This appears to be an AA bottom line motivated move. Well AA it's my money, not my company's, and I have a bottom line too! FWIW, the writing has been on the wall for a couple years, so not a big surprise and something I have been preparing for strategically.

It seems that US FF programs with the current consolidation is undergoing a reduction in benefits across the board and will so on a going forward basis IMO.

One reason AA could do this and get away with it, is because UA has already done it so there is no benefit for us to switch allegiances as we are already vested in the AA program. This was one factor that did differentiate the two programs and with it gone will level the playing field IMO.

This also explains why AA removed the visibility of X Fare Class a few months ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.