Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by vail
Even worse--I was on the upgrade list and a family member checked in online and was offered the upgrade and paid and received it.
Mine never cleared.
He has no status--I have over 7mm miles.

AA has made a deliberate decision to sell upgrades to whoever will purchase them.
I agree with your sentiment but I'd like to re-iterate the biggest issue - they are not offering it to you. So it is not whomever will purchase but whomever is offered and purchases. Is it because they don't want elites to know what they are doing that they aren't offering the elites the option?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy
You're forgetting that they're not angering all the EXPs, but rather the 0.1% that are savvy enough to know the detailed workings the program (by reading this or other boards). That's a contingent AA can easily afford to piss off. Besides, where are they (we) gonna go?
You're forgetting the power of the internet and the importance of image, especially in these dark days of bankruptcy. How many times have you seen something thrown up on a blog or a major news source and all of a sudden it takes off like a forest fire?

This is not something that will endear frequent travelers, it certainly won't entice new customers to chase status for the perceived perks.

I'll see what their answer is tomorrow, then I'll go from there.

--wes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JMN57
Is it because they don't want elites to know what they are doing that they aren't offering the elites the option?
This is the way I'm seeing it. I checked in literally seconds prior to checking him in, so there was a decision made to not offer me the LFBU, instead asking if I wanted to be moved to the airport list.

--wes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
*Makes popcorn*

I enjoy my cheap fares too ESpen36

Maybe we all shouldnt be "elites" anymore and just buy the upgrades when offered?

And for the person who will be moving to WN, enjoy.

*eats popcorn*
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by wesmanz
You're forgetting the power of the internet and the importance of image, especially in these dark days of bankruptcy. How many times have you seen something thrown up on a blog or a major news source and all of a sudden it takes off like a forest fire?
A forest fire on the internet is but a warm puff of flatulence in the real world
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
I'm fine with AA making money on selling upgrades.. but for sure they have to be offered to EXP's when they check-in and EXP check-in should be before the rest also!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Confirmed - OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

0.1%? I think the exp league is pretty savvy and more than one in one thousand are on these type of boards. At least when I talk to other exp's flying out of dfw it seems they are pretty savvy to these things. I'm not on facebook, but I wonder, if this is true, is this the type of tip that AA wants its members to share there?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by galaticos
I'm fine with AA making money on selling upgrades.. but for sure they have to be offered to EXP's when they check-in and EXP check-in should be before the rest also!!

I'm 100% in agreement, but I'm not sure how that would be possible. Within 24 hours of departure time, any eligible pax can check in.

Maybe allow EXPs exclusively to check in 48-24 hours before departure? (but then the issue becomes, what if RM decides to release LFBU inventory after the EXP-only check-in window has passed, but still before sticker inventory)
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dopey!
*Makes popcorn*
You should probably also order a pizza. This thread is going to be hot for a while.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
I agree with your sentiment but I'd like to re-iterate the biggest issue - they are not offering it to you. So it is not whomever will purchase but whomever is offered and purchases. Is it because they don't want elites to know what they are doing that they aren't offering the elites the option?
Correct--they are NOT offering it to me.
Shocked--no--it is what I have come to expect from AA.
No matter how low they set the bar--I am never shocked.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Many (most?) EXP's expect to get free domestic upgrades if fc is available. Only after all of these (EXP's) have been accommodated, should AA then offer pax who have "stickers" in their account the opportunity to use them. EXP's should not even be put in a position of paying for an upgrade or waiting until they get to the airport and "hope" that they get upgraded.
If this new(?) policy has arrived, will SWU=EVIP usage be next? [Not open "C" class in advance, wait until T-24 and sell UPG's only.]
What would be the advantage of becoming EXP?
I am anxiously waiting to hear what OP learns after speaking with AA cr people?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
If AA is going the way of UA on upgrades, no reason to stay loyal IMHO. I was about to purchase a ticket (to reqal for EXP) back to Dallas last night on AA from Singapore. I will hold off until I hear what's going on

Originally Posted by nrr
Many (most?) EXP's expect to get free domestic upgrades if fc is available. Only after all of these (EXP's) have been accommodated, should AA then offer pax who have "stickers" in their account the opportunity to use them. EXP's should not even be put in a position of paying for an upgrade or waiting until they get to the airport and "hope" that they get upgraded.
If this new(?) policy has arrived, will SWU=EVIP usage be next? [Not open "C" class in advance, wait until T-24 and sell UPG's only.]
What would be the advantage of becoming EXP?
I am anxiously waiting to hear what OP learns after speaking with AA cr people?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:49 pm

Not all EXP are savvy about their membership. I personally know one who is not.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:01 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mach92
If AA is going the way of UA on upgrades, no reason to stay loyal IMHO. I was about to purchase a ticket (to reqal for EXP) back to Dallas last night on AA from Singapore. I will hold off until I hear what's going on
Many people earn their EXP status through lots of flying mainly because they HAVE to (most likely business related). I would expect lots of others (like me) who like(d) aa's program and did lots of leisure traveling with aa because of it (even putting up with TSA).
I (and possibly others) could find other leisure activities which does not involve flying.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Hey, what about the Platinums? I was one of the first EXP's on AA, a bit before the program was "official." I was EXP their first year ('98 I think). Though now LT Plat 2MM, I haven't requalified for EXP since. Back then you still had to pay for upgrade stickers, BTW. I'm actually on-track to requal this yr. for the first time in 14 years and from this thread, not that excited about it. Am I the customer you want not traveling as much? Should I hold of on all non-essential trips and just coast on my LT Plat status? These are the questions to be considered when making this type of corporate decision. I would be upset to miss an upgrade from DFW to SEA if a non-elite member was willing to pay approx the same amount I would pay for stickers as Platinum and get it first.

Can someone confirm that ALL elites are NOT offered the paid upgrade in ANY case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.