Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by nor4
The problem is one that I've only learned about on FT. If you don't request at T24 you disappear off the UG list. This is new to me and nothing that I saw in the material sent to me with my EXP card.
That is not true, actually. I've received numerous upgrades within T-24 without having added myself to the airport list.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by Science Goy
That is not true, actually. I've received numerous upgrades within T-24 without having added myself to the airport list.
Just so I'm clear, it is NOT necessary to request a domestic upgrade for an EXP to get an upgrade?

All EXPs will always be on the UG list from the time they make a rez and be upgraded before anybody else...unless the outcome of this thread tells us otherwise?

That is what the material I got from AA suggested but I thought the reality was a bit different.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Just so I'm clear, it is NOT necessary to request a domestic upgrade for an EXP to get an upgrade?

All EXPs will always be on the UG list from the time they make a rez and be upgraded before anybody else...unless the outcome of this thread tells us otherwise?

That is what the material I got from AA suggested but I thought the reality was a bit different.
No, you always have to request it.

What he's saying it sometimes upgrades clear between T-24 and T-3 before going to airport control.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by andreirublev
No, you always have to request it.

What he's saying it sometimes upgrades clear between T-24 and T-3 before going to airport control.
So every time I make a rez I have to request a UG at time of making the rez and will not have to do anything at T24?

And, based on the discussion on this thread, my UG may be superseded by a LBFU at T24.

So there is nothing for me to do at T24 except hope AA hasn't decided to use their LBFU powers on my flight?

And once I get to the airport (assuming I did OLCI) using the kiosk will not afford me the opportunity to get a UG either via my EXP status or LBFU?

And once I get to the gate I'm still at the mercy of LBFUs?

What a minefield. And there's nothing I can do but wait and watch after I make my initial UG request during the rez?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:30 pm

So every time I make a rez I have to request a UG at time of making the rez and will not have to do anything at T24?

So there is nothing for me to do at T24 except hope AA hasn't decided to use their LBFU powers on my flight?
Yes, your position on the upgrade waiting list depends on the time you first request the upgrade (at the time of purchase, for most people). In principle the time at which you check in and add yourself to the airport list isn't supposed to matter.

However, in a previous thread, the official AA representative AmericanAirlines cited a system glitch that sometimes offers LFBUs before all elites are upgraded. His/her suggestion was to always check in as early as possible (at T-24 exactly if you can) to prevent this. Whether or not there's been a system or policy change since then is unclear.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT

And, based on the discussion on this thread, my UG may be superseded by a LBFU at T24.

And once I get to the airport (assuming I did OLCI) using the kiosk will not afford me the opportunity to get a UG either via my EXP status or LBFU?

What a minefield. And there's nothing I can do but wait and watch after I make my initial UG request during the rez?
Yes, you have to request the upgrade at booking every time. The sort order uses time of request within status and thru/originating, so it's advantageous to request as soon as possible.

If it doesn't clear prior to check-in, you have an opportunity to standby for upgrade (this is the gate list) from the kiosk or OLCI (or agent).

There's nothing else to do at T-24, and check-in time should have no bearing on the upgrade processing between T-24 and when the list transfers to airport control.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:42 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, you have to request the upgrade at booking every time. The sort order uses time of request within status and thru/originating, so it's advantageous to request as soon as possible.

If it doesn't clear prior to check-in, you have an opportunity to standby for upgrade (this is the gate list) from the kiosk or OLCI (or agent).

There's nothing else to do at T-24, and check-in time should have no bearing on the upgrade processing between T-24 and when the list transfers to airport control.
This applies for te domestic "sticker" upgrades.

The SWU upgrade process is different, and the check-in time does matter for the airport list. These are all well documented in the wiki. Required reading for new AAdvantage elites IMHO.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mark_T
having the ability to add yourself to the airport list via OLCI is about as far as we could reasonable ask them to go I'd have thought, and we already have that..
I disagree. We could definitely ask them to go further. I'd say that having AA automatically add you to to the airport list (if you've already requested an upgrade when making your reservation) would be more than a reasonable request. Why the airline thinks that I no longer want an upgrade after check in opens when I've been on a list for months before makes no sense to me.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Why the airline thinks that I no longer want an upgrade after check in opens when I've been on a list for months before makes no sense to me.
It makes sense to me. By checking in, you're asserting your intention to actually take the flight. I don't see why AA should hold upgrades for those who may end up being no-shows (and as noted before, this in principle only affects people who check in after the flight goes to airport control; what happens between T-24 and T-3 should be irrelevant).

In any case, the comment you quoted was referring to people who don't even request their upgrade until check-in, so your statement about being on a list for months doesn't apply.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
Why the airline thinks that I no longer want an upgrade after check in opens when I've been on a list for months before makes no sense to me.
I've requested 3 months in advance, not cleared at T-24, and not asked to be on the standby list because I made additional reservations and decided to husband my stickers.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would imagine there is a fairly sizable number of elites that do not understand the upgrade process of how it changes once everything goes to the airport list, until they become frustrated and a GA, TA or AC staff member explains it to them. On numerous occassions I've walked by or stood in line at the AC front desk just to hear staff explaining to a poor lost soul of how it actually works.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver

Let's be clear. Unless you don't want an upgrade:

1) You should request it upon ticketing.
2) If not cleared, you should request being but on the airport upgrade list at time of checkin.
3) You have to do it before the airport starts clearing the upgrade list once the process is transferred to the gate attendants.

This thread is confusing because of the way people are asking questions. Better to ask what you have to do than what you don't have to do . You don't have to do anything at T-24, but if that is when you are checking in, you should (you could do it a couple of hours after check in, but not sure why you wouldn't do it at the time of check-in if you want it).

Better yet, look at the stickies which document the process.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Let's be clear. Unless you don't want an upgrade:

1) You should request it upon ticketing.
2) If not cleared, you should request being but on the airport upgrade list at time of checkin.
3) You have to do it before the airport starts clearing the upgrade list once the process is transferred to the gate attendants.

This thread is confusing because of the way people are asking questions. Better to ask what you have to do than what you don't have to do . You don't have to do anything at T-24, but if that is when you are checking in, you should (you could do it a couple of hours after check in, but not sure why you wouldn't do it at the time of check-in if you want it).

Better yet, look at the stickies which document the process.
OK, just so I'm clear.

1) I DO have to request a UG when I make a rez.
2) I DO have to request a UG when I OLCI at T24 if not UGed.
3)I DO NOT have to do anything at T3 (airport control) I will be listed based on the time I made the rez/original UG request.

Is that correct?

I don't have any stickies. It might be helpful to see the language on the stickies if anybody has that.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Is that correct?
Yes

I don't have any stickies. It might be helpful to see the language on the stickies if anybody has that.
The "stickies" are the pages that remain "stuck" at the top of the AAdvantage FlyerTalk Forum. In particular, you will want to look here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ere-first.html
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Just a Reminder. As of now, there is no word from AA about a change in policy.

We do not know if this is a glitch or a screwing.

OP cannot talk to Customer Relations until Monday.

Lets ALL breathe!!
Just checking- This was post #64. So far NO News from OP or AA? CORRECT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.