Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by vail
...There is no end to the nonsense that AA keeps coming up with.
If they would spend half that time running a decent airline travel would not be where it is now....
You do realize that AA is the last legacy (of 6) to file for bankruptcy? I would say they did a very good job. One of the legacies, US Airways, has filed for bankruptcy protection twice.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by mvoight
This is wrong.
If they have upgrades to sell at T-24, then they have they should upgrade the elites first.
And the OP (EXP) should have been UG'd days before. I can not figure out why AA could not UG the OP at T-80 hours yet could sell LFBU at24 hour mark.
AAvantage is so persistent/aggressive with 3-5 emails a day you would think it would be straight forward to send a notice that this situation was a Glitch (unlikely)or that AA's long standing procedures are changing and all elites can pound sand.
Silence is not Golden in this matter.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pssteve
And the OP (EXP) should have been UG'd days before. I can not figure out why AA could not UG the OP at T-80 hours yet could sell LFBU at24 hour mark.
EXPs frequently do not get upgraded until closer to the flight, so the supposition that the OP "should have been UG'd days before" is an inaccurate as it is irrelevant to this conversation.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
There are quite a few non-elites out there who are willing to pay for an upgrade at the gate. If this is an issue, then why leave elites out of the opportunity to buy an upgrade at check-in? That is better than making a statement where most elites believe they would not lose out on an upgrade because AA is selling them to non-elites. True the statement leaves room for AA to do this, but distorting something doesn't make it right.
It's getting the wording of the offer right that's difficult. Something like "We know that you have flown 100,000 miles with us this year, and we do remember that we promised you unlimited free domestic upgrades if we did not sell all the first class seats on your flights, but we have just discovered that Mr. Kettle might be willing to slip us 45 clams to sit in first. We have carefully weighed his 45 clams against your 100,000 miles, and have decided he wins. If you really want that seat, you have to pony up 45 clams, and do it before he does, so you better get right on it. And by the way, thanks for flying that 100,000 miles with us."
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by NauticalWheeler
You do realize that AA is the last legacy (of 6) to file for bankruptcy? I would say they did a very good job. One of the legacies, US Airways, has filed for bankruptcy protection twice.
Three times if you include America West's bankruptcy. Delta and Northwest both independently filed BK before merging. United filed BK before merging with Continental.. and Continental filed BK twice in the 90s.

Until the AA BK filing CO was the major most removed from Bankruptcy. (This is the main reason for the scope clause heartburn between CO pilots and UA pilots- CO has a great scope clause because it predates the most recent round of airline bankruptcies.)

In any case -- AA has done well so far but everyone else had their costs slashed in BK over the past 20 years so it became inevitable.

There remains one airline that's been in operation for over 30 years and has never gone BK. Southwest.

Also, investing in the airline industry is a terrible idea.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by gemac
It's getting the wording of the offer right that's difficult. Something like "We know that you have flown 100,000 miles with us this year, and we do remember that we promised you unlimited free domestic upgrades if we did not sell all the first class seats on your flights, but we have just discovered that Mr. Kettle might be willing to slip us 45 clams to sit in first. We have carefully weighed his 45 clams against your 100,000 miles, and have decided he wins. If you really want that seat, you have to pony up 45 clams, and do it before he does, so you better get right on it. And by the way, thanks for flying that 100,000 miles with us."
...or alternatively "Great news! We are so confident that we can give you yet another complimentary upgrade on this flight that we are letting Mr. Kettle try it out too. In the process we are collecting $45 towards improving the service in the future."

Despite all the discussion and speculation in this thread and others, AFAIK, there has not been a single veritable instance reported on FT of an elite missing an upgrade when an LFBU had been sold on that flight. Maybe the OP of this thread came close, but unless he comes back and claims otherwise, the evidence suggests that he was upgraded (and no LFBUs were sold).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by beerup
Despite all the discussion and speculation in this thread and others, AFAIK, there has not been a single veritable instance reported on FT of an elite missing an upgrade when an LFBU had been sold on that flight. Maybe the OP of this thread came close, but unless he comes back and claims otherwise, the evidence suggests that he was upgraded (and no LFBUs were sold).
Might want to check out post 87:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19157023-post87.html
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sukn
Only a few of those even imply that an elite who had initially requested prior to 24 hours was denied. All of the "I was offered..." anecdotes are irrelevant as they are not germane to the central issue. So, the number of things that are even claims (not verified) are a fraction of that post. Tempest, meet teapot.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
...or alternatively "Great news! We are so confident that we can give you yet another complimentary upgrade on this flight that we are letting Mr. Kettle try it out too. In the process we are collecting $45 towards improving the service in the future."

If they had as much confidence in their ability to predict as you have, they would upgrade all elites on the list before selling LFBUs. AA believes that elites will lose upgrades because they are selling LFBUs.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
If they had as much confidence in their ability to predict as you have, they would upgrade all elites on the list before selling LFBUs. AA believes that elites will lose upgrades because they are selling LFBUs.
They make predictions of F seats going empty once elites are upgraded and sell LFBU accordingly. What is most surprising to me is that, despite this practice going on for some time, we have not had a case of an elite posting here that they were denied an upgrade on a flight where a LFBU was sold, and the claim being substantiated by those who have access to the relevant flight information. I, too, would prefer that LFBUs were not sold until my upgrade had cleared, but I understand the business plan and I think it is reasonable. AA has made a statement in black and white that they are protecting the interests of their elites while exploring options to increase revenue and, to date, they don't appear to have gone UA on us!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
They make predictions of F seats going empty once elites are upgraded and sell LFBU accordingly.
What???

Where did you find this official policy?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mark_T
The point of this thread is that the upgrades via OLCI and LFBU are not supposed to be offered if there are still elites with upgrade requests unfulfilled, deviation from this is the bit we are concerned about.
I believe that the way the software is programmed, it is after elites with upgrade requests _at the airport_ that are unfulfilled. Not simply all upgrade requests.

The elite must have been added to the airport list to take priority over the LFBU.

In the 24 hours before the flight, the LFBUs can clear as long as the airport
upgrade request list remains empty of elites (and I further believe that list may be populated only by physical presence at the airport).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fastflyer
I believe that the way the software is programmed, it is after elites with upgrade requests _at the airport_ that are unfulfilled. Not simply all upgrade requests.

The elite must have been added to the airport list to take priority over the LFBU.

upgrade request list remains empty of elites (and I further believe that list may be populated only by physical presence at the airport).
What is this "belief" based on, if I may ask? Since upgrades clear off the original list, and not the airport list, for about 21 hours after check-in is available, this belief makes no sense with regard to the way AA's systems currently work.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by sukn
What???

Where did you find this official policy?
Maybe I worded it poorly. What I meant was: if the estimation from the algorithm predicts that there are more seats available that elites on the waitlist (i.e., if under the counterfactual there would be seats available once all the elites have cleared), then LFBUs are offered.

Official policy according the the FAQs on AA.com:
Q: Will the Confirmed Upgrade option reduce the number of premium class seats available to full-fare and AAdvantage elite customers?
A: No. Upgrades via Self Service will be offered only after we've determined that sufficient premium seats are available to accommodate customers who want to buy full-fare tickets and to AAdvantage elite members who wish to upgrade.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs/...iceCheckIn.jsp

Edited to add: I must say though, it's interesting use of the term "determined" when they are accounting for "customers who want to buy full-fare tickets". If they base their actions on the output of an algorithm then it is generally a dynamic approximation which, by definition, is probabilistic rather than deterministic. It's highly unlikely that AA deterministically knows exactly who wants to buy full-fare tickets (even if they know why we fly).

Last edited by beerup; Aug 21, 2012 at 11:27 pm
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fastflyer

The statement of mine you quoted is inaccurate, rereading the original AA information on LFBU makes it clear that they are not actually clearing the upgrade list before selling LFBU, they are forecasting how things are likely to end up.

The airport list does not factor into this until the flight goes under airport control, up to that point the original upgrade list is still being processed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.