Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by wrfrhiannon
From AA's site:
Q:Will the Confirmed Upgrade option (LBFU) reduce the number of premium class seats available to full-fare and AAdvantage elite customers?
A: No. Upgrades via Self Service will be offered only after we've determined that sufficient premium seats are available to accommodate customers who want to buy full-fare tickets and to AAdvantage elite members who wish to upgrade.
This is asked http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...8&postcount=35 and answered http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...9&postcount=36

"...seem to work in almost every case." Really??

Unfortunately, if you have read this entire thread, you will see that is not, in truth, what has happened in more than one case.
Something can happen more than once and still be rare.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by richarddd
Something can happen more than once and still be rare.
Perception is reality.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
"...seem to work in almost every case." Really??

Unfortunately, if you have read this entire thread, you will see that is not, in truth, what has happened in more than one case. This forum is a very, very small part of the entire EXP base. It's shown up here like an iceberg. 2/3 or more of it is underwater/unreported. Is there a point in remaining loyal by flying 100,000+ miles a year if non status/non AA members are being upgraded ahead of EXP? I'm pretty sure that all the EXP's who've missed upgrades repeatedly in the last few months would be unhappy if there was even a hint that this was happening.
Typically the specific gravity of an iceberg is 0.92 and of seawater is 1.025 (some variance due to mineral content). Therefore, 89.8 % of an iceberg is typically underwater. Even if an iceberg was dropped into the Dead Sea (specific gravity: 1.24), 74.2 % would remain underwater. Therefore, while it is true that 2/3 (66.7 %) or more is underwater, there is not much precision in your quantitative argument. Therefore, sorry if I don't place much weight on your meta-analysis of the information in this thread or the population statistic predictions you make from its extrapolation.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by richarddd
What is there to refute?

It appears that AA's policy is to give priority to elites over LBFUs, based on their revenue management models, but not guarantee priority. Their models seem to work in almost every case.
The problem here is that we don't have any idea in what percentage of cases their models work. We only know of this situation in a very limited proportion of the cases in which Flyertalk elites don't get upgrades - those cases where the Flyertalk elite is flying with a non-elite and is checking that non-elite in. In my entire experience as an AA elite, that has never been me - when flying with a companion, my companion has always been elite. Therefore, I have never seen this - but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening on flights I have been on, and it doesn't mean that I haven't been denied an upgrade because of this.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by gemac
The problem here is that we don't have any idea in what percentage of cases their models work. We only know of this situation in a very limited proportion of the cases in which Flyertalk elites don't get upgrades - those cases where the Flyertalk elite is flying with a non-elite and is checking that non-elite in. In my entire experience as an AA elite, that has never been me - when flying with a companion, my companion has always been elite. Therefore, I have never seen this - but that doesn't mean that it hasn't been happening on flights I have been on, and it doesn't mean that I haven't been denied an upgrade because of this.
For frequency of this happening, I'm relying on JonNYC's posts at travelingbetter, such as http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...6&postcount=12 and other posts in that thread, and the paucity of situations reported on FT and the like. Given that we don't have access to internal AA data, that seems that best we can do. It's certainly possible that there are large numbers of undetected cases, but it's the sort of thing I'd expect the online communities to notice.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
A few people here mentioned that they should offer paid upgrades to elites first then to everyone else and then have the upgrade list processed. That way if an elite really wants the upgrade, they can pay for it.

VX does this right now with its elite program.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Xero
A few people here mentioned that they should offer paid upgrades to elites first then to everyone else and then have the upgrade list processed. That way if an elite really wants the upgrade, they can pay for it.
If AA were selling upgrades and depriving elites of upgrades, then I would definitely agree that what you propose would be desirable. However, since AA do not offer LFBUs unless they have "determined" (i.e., estimated) that all elites on the list will clear, it doesn't make a lot of sense to offer paid upgrade to those on the list. In fact, if they offer LFBUs to elites already on the waitlist, it would be an indication that they were selling upgrades with the intention of depriving complimentary/500-mile upgrades to elites (which they have stated in no uncertain terms in not the case).
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by beerup
If AA were selling upgrades and depriving elites of upgrades, then I would definitely agree that what you propose would be desirable. However, since AA do not offer LFBUs unless they have "determined" (i.e., estimated) that all elites on the list will clear, it doesn't make a lot of sense to offer paid upgrade to those on the list. In fact, if they offer LFBUs to elites already on the waitlist, it would be an indication that they were selling upgrades with the intention of depriving complimentary/500-mile upgrades to elites (which they have stated in no uncertain terms in not the case).
I was just saying that one airline does that kind of system already. I'm completely opposed to the system. AA can just upgrade all the elites and clear the upgrade waitlist before offering LFBUs 24 hours in advance.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
My husband I are both EXP & on our last three flights we were the top of the upgrade list & denied upgrades even though at T-24 EF still showed several seats. I am not saying that LFBU's happened for sure on our flights, but I have to entertain that possibility after reading this entire thread. Yes, we bought the tickets months out & requested the upgrades then & at T-24 (exactly.)
Route?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
LGA/DFW
DFW/ANC
YVR/DFW (offered one- declined)
There have been more instances. These are our flights within the last five weeks.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA1MM;AA EXP;Hilton HHonors Gold; Hertz Gold; Emerald Club; Admirals Club;
Thank you for the link. I will start monitoring the travelingbetter forum as they seem to have more inside information on AA.

Last edited by wrfrhiannon; Aug 26, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reason: clarification
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:22 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The OP was going to contact CR and report back. Has his report gotten lost?
[So far there are few instances reported of paid upgrades (by non elites) trumping exp's (for free)--so I guess we should assume that this is not AA's new policy.]
[PS: being offered an international upgrade (for a fee) at the check-in terminal at T-3 hours at jfk (which happened to me a 18 months ago), while there was an EVIP = SWU upgrade list in place is a different issue(?)]

Last edited by nrr; Sep 4, 2012 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:39 am

EXP vs LBU UG

30 minutes prior to boarding, I was told I was #1 on the UG list for F for flight 712 from DFW to LGA, and that the flight was 15/16 sold, so as long as someone didn't jump the queue, I'd be upgraded... Upon return, I was told that a kiosk upgrade grabbed the last seat. These were the gate agent's words. I understand if a full F seat is purchased, but in what reality did I start losing upgrades to LBUs as an Executive Platinum?

I'm aware that any number of situations could have occurred, including the gate agent justnot asaying the right thing, but she explicitly mentioned a kiosk upgrade for the last seat.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Existing thread on the topic

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...processed.html

(Search term {"upgrade"})

This is the first time I've seen an explicit admission of this. Certainly disconcerting. I assume that you've already written AA to inquire about this. Please do report back since there seems no way to easily weasel on this one.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:20 am

Thanks brp.

Was having a hell of a time getting search to work on my phone's browser.

AA twitter responded that it was an AAirpass member, but the open seat is occupied by a girl no more than 25. Before you pounce me, FT, I'm not attempting to make any inferences from this, as seats change all the time, and her perceived age is in no way indicative of anything - just find it odd.

Would AAirpass members come through similarly to paid F?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.