Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
AA twitter responded that it was an AAirpass member, but the open seat is occupied by a girl no more than 25. Before you pounce me, FT, I'm not attempting to make any inferences from this, as seats change all the time, and her perceived age is in no way indicative of anything - just find it odd.

Would AAirpass members come through similarly to paid F?
25 is old enough to have earned an MBA or JD; while it can be unusual to see young people in F (judging from some of the incredulous looks I've gotten ), it's not beyond the realm of possibility. AAirpass can book into the equivalent of paid F.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
mmmm. now this thread has me thinking!

My upgrades in the last 2 weeks have all cleared a few hours prior. Also, I have had several flights not upgrade. (compared to a much more in advance clearing & several days in advance)

I'm EXP.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
25 is old enough to have earned an MBA or JD; while it can be unusual to see young people in F (judging from some of the incredulous looks I've gotten ), it's not beyond the realm of possibility. AAirpass can book into the equivalent of paid F.
If it was an AAirpass booking into the equivalent of paid F, then the GA was wrong that it was an LBFU, just to state the obvious.

Someone looking 25 years old is old enough to have founded a successful startup, inherited serious money, etc.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
If it was an AAirpass booking into the equivalent of paid F, then the GA was wrong that it was an LBFU, just to state the obvious.
Sure, and it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a GA invented something on the spot rather than just saying "I don't know" (or misinterpreted the data on his/her screen).
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:49 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by richarddd

Someone looking 25 years old is old enough to have founded a successful startup, inherited serious money, etc.
While all of this is true, the odds are against it. If one were to compute the mean and standard deviation for the age of AAirpass holders, I would expect the mean to be closer to twice that, and someone 25 to be more than 2 sigma out. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. Still.

Also, if one were to compute the probability of an AAirpass member being male (simply based on the current membership), I would estimate higher than 75% chance. And that is likely low.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by brp
While all of this is true, the odds are against it. If one were to compute the mean and standard deviation for the age of AAirpass holders, I would expect the mean to be closer to twice that, and someone 25 to be more than 2 sigma out. Doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. Still.
At the same time, 2-sigma outliers have a much higher chance of being reported on FT; if the occupant was a balding 50-year-old male in a suit, he wouldn't have warranted a mention.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
At the same time, 2-sigma outliers have a much higher chance of being reported on FT; if the occupant was a balding 50-year-old male in a suit, he wouldn't have warranted a mention.
Agreed. Just saying that, while it could be true, it is unlikely that the 25ish year old woman in that seat was an AAirpass member, for the reasons cited above.

At the very least, I would expect someone with the wherewithal to be able to afford that at such a young age to be cooler than to fly AA

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA G
I'm sure this has already been noticed by the UA-refugees, but UA has been doing this since March with 1Ks losing out on upgrades to OLCI and check-in buyups.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
I'm sure this has already been noticed by the UA-refugees, but UA has been doing this since March with 1Ks losing out on upgrades to OLCI and check-in buyups.
Oh yes. It is frequently cited as a reason for jumping ship. For the record, most alleged cases of this here have been subsequently debunked by knowledgable sources with inside information.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:47 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by brp

Also, if one were to compute the probability of an AAirpass member being male (simply based on the current membership), I would estimate higher than 75% chance. And that is likely low.

Cheers.
Meh. "looks 25" != "is 25."
Some people look younger than they are, and we have no idea whether this person was actually 25 or not.

Besides, someone with enough $$ to spend on either full F or AAirpass is also disproportionately more likely to have $$ to spend on cosmetics and/or plastic surgery, right?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:11 pm

Why wouldn't a non-elite purchase the upgrade? If a non-elite checks in with 2 bags, he/she already knows they will pay $60? for those bags. For $30 more, they can sit in F.

This is a problem on flights where the upgrade price is close to the baggage fee.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Sure, and it wouldn't be the first (or last) time a GA invented something on the spot rather than just saying "I don't know" (or misinterpreted the data on his/her screen).
Nor the first (or last) time a FTer invented something on the spot rather than just saying "I don't know" (or misinterpreted the data in this forum).
Old Oct 9, 2012, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by lightbulb
Why wouldn't a non-elite purchase the upgrade? If a non-elite checks in with 2 bags, he/she already knows they will pay $60? for those bags. For $30 more, they can sit in F.

This is a problem on flights where the upgrade price is close to the baggage fee.
It is only a 'problem' when RM guess wrong and leave an Elite on the list without their upgrade.

When RM get it right (which they seem to do most of the time) then it is working just fine to extract a few more $$ from a non-elite and fill the otherwise empty seat.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Thanks brp.

Was having a hell of a time getting search to work on my phone's browser.

AA twitter responded that it was an AAirpass member, but the open seat is occupied by a girl no more than 25. Before you pounce me, FT, I'm not attempting to make any inferences from this, as seats change all the time, and her perceived age is in no way indicative of anything - just find it odd.

Would AAirpass members come through similarly to paid F?
Admittedly a long-time ago but when I was 21 my job had me flying >100k miles per year all in F. It was around 1980 and there was no Airpass but I traveled with a stack of blank AA Airchecks. It's not the norm but it does happen.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by JMN57
…when I was 21 my job had me flying >100k miles per year all in F.
What kind of job did you have?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.