Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OLCI purchased upgrade offer to non-elite before elite upgrades processed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

I called the EXP desk and they basically said that I needed to add myself to the upgrade list at the airport. She confirmed I was first on the list and that there was only one seat left. I went over my story and she of course said this is the first she's heard of it and that I should probably talk with Customer Relations about it since it's a policy related question. She took down my companions PNR and his name and said she would pass it along and that this all was very strange.

This is very troubling for me, as I'm a DFW based passenger that has on several occasions been trumped on the upgrade list by through passengers, this only adds another layer of people that can screw me now.

Basically what it boils down to is I'm pretty much screwed for this flight tomorrow as it's likely I'll get trumped by a T passenger or some other random non-elite passenger will be offered the last seat for upgrade.

--wes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I'm very concerned to hear that upgrade offers are being made to non-elites before elite upgrades are processed. Hopefully this is a system glitch and does not represent a change in policy. This used to occur at CO and then more recently on the combined UA/CO. Bad move in my opinion. Hopefully AA does not follow the UA/CO lead on this.

I have a feeling alot of people are going to be watching this thread and the AA response very closely.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for posting that dstan, I can confirm this is not at all how it's going down on this flight. I'm sure they will insist that this was a one time glitch.

Does anyone know anything about this customer relations group? contact info, hours etc? I'm sure they're open like Mon and Tues from 11am-3pmPDT or something obscure like that
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by wesmanz
Thanks for posting that dstan, I can confirm this is not at all how it's going down on this flight. I'm sure they will insist that this was a one time glitch.

Does anyone know anything about this customer relations group? contact info, hours etc? I'm sure they're open like Mon and Tues from 11am-3pmPDT or something obscure like that
Customer Relations keeps M-F business hours so if you call the EXP desk during that time frame, they can transfer you over to someone who will actually speak with you. The other option of course is aa.com which filters complaints from EXPs directly to Customer Relations.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sukn
Customer Relations keeps M-F business hours so if you call the EXP desk during that time frame, they can transfer you over to someone who will actually speak with you. The other option of course is aa.com which filters complaints from EXPs directly to Customer Relations.
Cool, I'll call the EXP desk tomorrow. It always baffles me when a companies customer service reps can't be reached on the weekend. I guess issues only happen M-F

--wes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Really worrisome. Might be worth a Tweet to get their attention, though that might backfire now that I think about it.
I'm not on Twitter, but would Tweet it if I were

--wes
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by wesmanz
I called the EXP desk and they basically said that I needed to add myself to the upgrade list at the airport. She confirmed I was first on the list and that there was only one seat left. I went over my story and she of course said this is the first she's heard of it and that I should probably talk with Customer Relations about it since it's a policy related question. She took down my companions PNR and his name and said she would pass it along and that this all was very strange.

This is very troubling for me, as I'm a DFW based passenger that has on several occasions been trumped on the upgrade list by through passengers, this only adds another layer of people that can screw me now.

Basically what it boils down to is I'm pretty much screwed for this flight tomorrow as it's likely I'll get trumped by a T passenger or some other random non-elite passenger will be offered the last seat for upgrade.

--wes
I paid somewhere around 70ish for an upgrade rdu to lga 2 Fridays ago and there were a couple elites on wl with f full. It was a great deal since I had 2 bags to check. I think it was going to cost more to check than upgrade. I get these offers often when checking in on ua but have never seen a price as low as aa offered
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I get these offers often when checking in on ua but have never seen a price as low as aa offered
Unless it has changed, I think it's still $45 per 500 miles flown. It's the counter price for a 500-mile upgrade sticker.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I agree that this is very disturbing!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I wonder if AA is doing this on select routes or in cases when coach is full. Perhaps they've been doing this for a while, and we don't notice b/c all elites still manage to clear the upgrade list.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Very disturbing. I hope this is a system error and not a change in policy...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When AA introduced UDU for EXPs more than eight years ago, I was against it for several reasons. But I didn't think that AA would sell the upgrades out from under the EXPs waiting on the upgrade list. If AA needs the cash, that's fine with me - but give all passengers, including EXPs on the upgrade list, the same chance to purchase the F upgrade.

I was fine paying for stickers prior to March, 2004 and I'd be fine with paying for them again.

But selling upgrades to nonelites while EXPs sit on the upgrade list?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by eethan
I wonder if AA is doing this on select routes or in cases when coach is full. Perhaps they've been doing this for a while, and we don't notice b/c all elites still manage to clear the upgrade list.
Not sure I follow you. OP is an EXP and so should have upgraded at T-100 hours -- long before people were being offered a paid option at T-24.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by phlashba
Not sure I follow you. OP is an EXP and so should have upgraded at T-100 hours -- long before people were being offered a paid option at T-24.
As an EXP I rarely get upgraded at T-100. It's simply when the window opens for EXP to be upgraded.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
When AA introduced UDU for EXPs more than eight years ago, I was against it for several reasons. But I didn't think that AA would sell the upgrades out from under the EXPs waiting on the upgrade list. If AA needs the cash, that's fine with me - but give all passengers, including EXPs on the upgrade list, the same chance to purchase the F upgrade.

I was fine paying for stickers prior to March, 2004 and I'd be fine with paying for them again.

But selling upgrades to nonelites while EXPs sit on the upgrade list?
Yup, and this is the main complaint folks have over on the UA board, as well. They kinda sorta mostly understand that the airline needs money, so they're going to sell upgrades before offering "free" upgrades to elites. However, the fact that elites on the upgrade waitlist can't purchase those upgrades leads to the infuriating "priority inversion" you're referring to, where non-elites actually have more opportunity to upgrade than do elites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.