Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: 1MM AA - finally
I almost had a problem at the AC board room today, but my card still has the AC logo so it got us in today. Am I also supposed to get an AC card? If not how will I get in when I get the new card?

Also, do the waived baggage fees transfer over to Alaska like it does for elite members? (I lose status in February and am flying on Alaska in March).
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: 2MM by 2013 AA
I Just used the card twice, once at LAX once at SFO, I show the card with chip and no logo, got in with no problem at all.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a new bonus this month - a little over a thousand miles labeled "AAdvantage® Bonus Miles - Cardmember". Anyone know what that is? I got about 50K points from regular charges.

Also, a friend and I both have this card, and we each lodged gentle complaints and got 5K miles each. Seems like they have that much ready to go, if you nudge a little. I complained about the low credit limit and the six-month policy on getting a larger line (and I've been prepaying to get around it) and that did the trick for me. He complained about all of the fraud phone calls for legit charges.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I got a new bonus this month - a little over a thousand miles labeled "AAdvantage® Bonus Miles - Cardmember". Anyone know what that is? I got about 50K points from regular charges.
Now that it's in AA, I can see that it was the double miles from charging AA flights - no MM credit there.

CITI EXEC AA PURCH 2ND MI. BNS
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Int'l Travel Hassle with Card

I had an unpleasant event with the new card while in Europe. My wife and I had a somewhat complicated itinerary, flying between multiple cities and I had purchased several separate airline tickets as a result.

When we arrived to London, I went to purchase our Heathrow Express tickets and my card was declined. When checking into the Hotel, same thing. We were already late for dinner, but I thought I better call the help desk to see what was going on.

When I got connected I got redirected to the Fraud line where they said "I see what's going on. Our systems show that you should be back home as of today". I asked them what they meant, and they said that their system showed that my itinerary showed me having completed my trip as of today. I know I NEVER proactively shared my itineraries with them, so this came as a total surprise to me. When I told them I still had more flying to do to get back home, their response was something along the lines of "the system could only handle one itinerary at a time", which is weird since I had a nested itineraries (3 separate tickets to different country pairs) on this trip and didn't have any issues with the card in those instances.

I had to pay some transactions with another card and now incurred the FOREX charges for those. I really thinking about calling Citi to have those credited. And on top of it all, due to all the hassle, we missed the cutoff for one of our favorite restaurants for dinner
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: AA P-Pro, Chase SP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I had an unpleasant event with the new card while in Europe. My wife and I had a somewhat complicated itinerary, flying between multiple cities and I had purchased several separate airline tickets as a result.

When we arrived to London, I went to purchase our Heathrow Express tickets and my card was declined. When checking into the Hotel, same thing. We were already late for dinner, but I thought I better call the help desk to see what was going on.

When I got connected I got redirected to the Fraud line where they said "I see what's going on. Our systems show that you should be back home as of today". I asked them what they meant, and they said that their system showed that my itinerary showed me having completed my trip as of today. I know I NEVER proactively shared my itineraries with them, so this came as a total surprise to me. When I told them I still had more flying to do to get back home, their response was something along the lines of "the system could only handle one itinerary at a time", which is weird since I had a nested itineraries (3 separate tickets to different country pairs) on this trip and didn't have any issues with the card in those instances.

I had to pay some transactions with another card and now incurred the FOREX charges for those. I really thinking about calling Citi to have those credited. And on top of it all, due to all the hassle, we missed the cutoff for one of our favorite restaurants for dinner
Pardon the dumb question (I ask my wife dumb questions all of the time, I just can't seem to help it), but did you by chance schedule a travel notification with Citi? I've used the card several times internationally (gone well above credit limit as well)without any hiccups. I did however go online and fill out the travel notification for each trip, but those were also simple trips, not complicated ones like yours.

Sorry about your dinner, I'd be miffed as well. Citi should bear the burden of those additional costs IMO.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by onesocalkid
Pardon the dumb question (I ask my wife dumb questions all of the time, I just can't seem to help it), but did you by chance schedule a travel notification with Citi? I've used the card several times internationally (gone well above credit limit as well)without any hiccups.
No. Never have even when I using the Citi Platinum card previously. I travel overseas quite substantially and never have had any issues with any cards before over the years.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
I called Citi to let them know I was traveling, a couple of days before flying. The representative told me that they already knew I would be out of town, since I had used that card to buy the airline tickets on AA, but that they appreciated my letting them know, anyway.

Now, a question. I had $10K in charges post on my card on 4 Jan. Will those dollars count towards 2011 $40K spend or towards the new 2012 $40K spend threshold, to qualify for the 10K EQM?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
Now, a question. I had $10K in charges post on my card on 4 Jan. Will those dollars count towards 2011 $40K spend or towards the new 2012 $40K spend threshold, to qualify for the 10K EQM?

Thanks,
--woodstock
Likely depends on your billing cycle, but I'd venture to guess 2012, as they define the spend as per "calendar year"

--wes
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
(Kicking myself)... AA posted the 10K bonus EQM to my 2011 balance because I did not think to cross the $40K mark in January (or after) 2012. I already had PLT for 2012, I really wish I would have used my head and got those EQMs for 2013 qualification. DOH!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
There's a Japanese saying for that and it's called yokei na osewa.

Literally, the equivalent English translation could be "none of your business," but the underlying tone in Japanese means "I know you're trying to look after me as a service, but it's actually ending up doing much more harm to me than good."

Sort of like a royal food taster (Citi) whose responsibility is to check if there's no poison in the food (fraudulent activity on the card), except in the end the only thing the king (you, the cardholder) is left to eat is a small bite sized portion (limited use of the card itself).

This yokei na osewa service seems to be plaguing across America these days, and I have to wonder if such an equivalent idiom will eventually start becoming popularized on its own here anytime soon. Maybe "giving a drunken man another shot of whiskey."

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
There's a Japanese saying for that and it's called yokei na osewa.

Literally, the equivalent English translation could be "none of your business," but the underlying tone in Japanese means "I know you're trying to look after me as a service, but it's actually ending up doing much more harm to me than good."

Sort of like a royal food taster (Citi) whose responsibility is to check if there's no poison in the food (fraudulent activity on the card), except in the end the only thing the king (you, the cardholder) is left to eat is a small bite sized portion (limited use of the card itself).

This yokei na osewa service seems to be plaguing across America these days, and I have to wonder if such an equivalent idiom will eventually start becoming popularized on its own here anytime soon. Maybe "giving a drunken man another shot of whiskey."
Appreciate the Japanese lesson , and agree with you!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
(Kicking myself)... AA posted the 10K bonus EQM to my 2011 balance because I did not think to cross the $40K mark in January (or after) 2012. I already had PLT for 2012, I really wish I would have used my head and got those EQMs for 2013 qualification. DOH!
The counter resets each calendar year, so you'd need a brand new set of $40K spend in 2012 for the 10K EQM for 2013.. You couldn't have carried it over into 2012 to apply for 2013.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
The counter resets each calendar year, so you'd need a brand new set of $40K spend in 2012 for the 10K EQM for 2013.. You couldn't have carried it over into 2012 to apply for 2013.
I did not think about it like that, thanks for clarifying. I guess I have some time to earn this year's 10K!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:41 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by kman99
Did a search on their website and found this bullet point: "Receive employee cards at no additional cost – plus, earn AAdvantage® miles for purchases made on employee cards and set a unique credit limit for each employee2 "
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...age-visa-card/
I was back in the office today and checked my bills and saw they are charging me $25 for an extra card so I called them. They explained that you live with the rules as of the time you sign up and I pay $75 and then $25 for the first two extra cards as opposed to $100. That makes it a push for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.