Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist, IGH Rewards Club Spire, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by psyflyer
Has anyone had their Hyatt points post on AA? My SPG posted fine but my Hyatt are mia.... did anyone transfer hytatt --> SPG?
Hyatt does a sweep of it's accounts for miles transfers to American once every two or three weeks. The speculation by some people who keep track of this is that the sweep will happen over this coming weekend.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:58 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
I transferred some misc Hilton pts I had (<20,000) and I got the 35% bonus on them.
Maybe it was because they posted at the same time as my SPG's. (>20,000)
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:09 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
Originally Posted by psyflyer
Has anyone had their Hyatt points post on AA? My SPG posted fine but my Hyatt are mia.... did anyone transfer hytatt --> SPG?
have had 1 of my 4 hyatt stays post 3000+500 miles to AA. It was about 4 weeks ago, and posted quickly, i probably just made it under the wire for the "sweep." The miles show up on hyatt to be posted to AA, but AA hasn't shown them yet. My 5th stay and then 10k bonus is this weekend, i'm guessing by July 1 that I ought to have at least a few more of the bonuses post but I'm being patient for AA to catch the Hyatt AA bonus miles
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

does the 35% bonus apply only to American Airlines transfers? and not to Alaska?

I realize i can use AA to AS etc, but if i transfer to Alaska, no bonus of 35%?

ok, i went back and read, so no, cant get bonus on alaska...

Last edited by randys1; Jun 23, 2010 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 23, 2010, 1:10 pm

????????

Originally Posted by NM
My Diners Club points have now arrived into my SPG points. 60K of them on their way to AA now, and the remaining 60K will be set tomorrow. So another 202K AA miles should arrive on Monday .
With respect, why didn't you transfer your DC points directly to AA ? It seems to me that you would have ended up with more miles that way.

I am basing my question on the assumption that you are a USA based DC member.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Just to be safe- to get the 35% bonus, ...

-Kinglobjaw
When you transfer the 20K, SPG will credit you 5000 starpoints, and transfer the 25K AA miles. American will see the 25K and credit you it and another entry for 6250.

Here is my SPG history (60K transfer, but you get the idea)

# +15000 AIRLINE TRANSFER BONUS (06/14/2010)
# -75000 AADVANTAGE FLYER MILES (06/14/2010)

And the AA entries:

06/14/10 AADVANTAGE HOTEL PT TO MLS BNS 0 26,250 26,250
06/14/10 STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST 0 75,000 75,000
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
Thumbs up It was too good to pass up...

That 35% bonus was too much of an opportunity to pass up. I had 769,000 lifetime miles in my AA account. I had some 518,000 Starwood Points to transfer. On the day after the announcement I transferred 60K miles/day for 8 days. Sadly I had an odd number remaining at 38K. I had already purchased the maximum Star Points this year so I could not earn the extra 2000 points to get the extra 5000 bonus. Am I sounding like a points hound?. This locks me in to Lifetime Gold. I am now at 1.63 million miles. Gets me closer to Platinum. I hope to pass the threshold in about 2 years now. This was an excellent deal that has placed me closer to my goal. Now please American Airlines, stay solvent!
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:32 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by thebobmc
With respect, why didn't you transfer your DC points directly to AA ? It seems to me that you would have ended up with more miles that way.
The rate for Diners Club to AA is 2:1. The rate for Diners Club to SPG is also 2:1. By laundering through SPG I now get the 5,000 point bonus for each 20,000 points sent to AA, plus the 35% bonus for them arriving at AA.
I am basing my question on the assumption that you are a USA based DC member.
Nope, Australian Diners Club account. There are very few credit card options for earning AA miles when based in Australia and not having a US SSN that is needed to get a US credit card. Diners is the only Australian card I know of that allows direct transfer to AA. Amex can be laundered via SPG.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by NM
Nope, Australian Diners Club account.
Ah that makes sense to me now. Apologies for doubting the wisdom of your transfer.

You Aussies get an even worse deal from DC for points transfer than we do in Canada. Makes our 1:25 to 1 DC to AA transfer rate sound positively generous.

You don't need a Canadian SIN to apply for a credit card in Canada ( something to do with our privacy regulations ). But you probably do need a Canadian credit history ?

As you are probably aware Citi hasn't been accepting any new DC applications in Canada and the USA for some time now. And the DC franchise in Canada and the USA has recently been purchased by Bank of Montreal so nobody really knows what is going to happen to the Club Rewards program. But once the purchase settles out it might be worth considering applying for a Canadian DC card if the Club Rewards program here remains better than the Australian version of the program.

But then if you do all of your spending in Australian dollars you would get hit with currency conversion fees, so it's probably not a good idea. If you're interested we can carry on the discussion in the DC forum.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc
That 35% bonus was too much of an opportunity to pass up. I had 769,000 lifetime miles in my AA account. I had some 518,000 Starwood Points to transfer. On the day after the announcement I transferred 60K miles/day for 8 days. Sadly I had an odd number remaining at 38K. I had already purchased the maximum Star Points this year so I could not earn the extra 2000 points to get the extra 5000 bonus. Am I sounding like a points hound?. This locks me in to Lifetime Gold. I am now at 1.63 million miles. Gets me closer to Platinum. I hope to pass the threshold in about 2 years now. This was an excellent deal that has placed me closer to my goal. Now please American Airlines, stay solvent!
Why not transfer 20K of the 38K in to get the 5K SPG bonus on that and a 35% AA bonus on the 25K?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:11 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Ah that makes sense to me now. Apologies for doubting the wisdom of your transfer.
My wisdom is regularly in doubt - normally by my three teenagers
You Aussies get an even worse deal from DC for points transfer than we do in Canada. Makes our 1:25 to 1 DC to AA transfer rate sound positively generous.
My Diners Club card is a corporate card issued by my employer. I have to use it for all business expenses and am not supposed to use it for any personal expenses. Follow those rules emphatically. Our corporate policy is that the company will not pay the rewards program annual fee, but if the employee pays the fee they can use the points as they wish.

So while I would not choose a DC card as my personal card (very poor acceptance generally in Aus), I have to use it for work expenses including all my work travel. So I have always planned to launder the points through SPG to AA and this promo gave me the catalyst to do it now and cross the 1MM threshold at the same time. I had been holding off on the 1MM threshold as I find it hard enough to use my 8 eVIPS for EXP and wanted to keep the eVIPS for 1MM as a backup to not requalifying EXP next year.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
I considered your suggestion

Originally Posted by merrickdb
Why not transfer 20K of the 38K in to get the 5K SPG bonus on that and a 35% AA bonus on the 25K?
Yes, I knew it was an option. The trade off on the remaining 18K miles was losing the Starwood 25% bonus but picking up the AA 35% bonus. Not optimal but still a 10% increase.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:56 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by FertilityDoc
Yes, I knew it was an option. The trade off on the remaining 18K miles was losing the Starwood 25% bonus but picking up the AA 35% bonus. Not optimal but still a 10% increase.
Buy 2k for your wife and transfer to your acct.
I bought 500 SPG - got me 8000 extra with the 35% bonus going from 19753 to 20k
8750 spg for $17.50 = 0.2 cpm = 0.125 cpm AA!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: A few
how long do the conversions take? I did a transfer wednesday (6/23) and they still don't show today (6/25). with the weekend coming up seems like today or monday will be the last day to get these through before the deadline
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:17 am

Same issue here

Originally Posted by Alka
Interesting. My Marriott transfer took a few days to post -- but only the converted miles are shown, not the 25- and 35-percent bonuses.

I'll give it a few days and then contact AAdvantage CS. Anyone else encounter the same problem with a Marriott points conversion?

Alka
My Marriott miles posted this morning, but no bonus yet. Did you have any luck with your bonus miles posting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.