25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy

So far, from the posts on this thread, it seems this transfer is beneficial to
the majority of people. Apparently those who chose to transfer have their logic to do so also.
In earlier posts you seemed to be dismissing the logic of those who preferred to use the starpoints to buy tickets, rather than awards, indicating that it didn't make sense.Obviously it does for some, even if not for you. If I misunderstood your criticism of other people's logic, my apologies.

Show me a one-way ticket IST-LHR-MIA can be found in under $500, and upgradable on AA, I am all ears.
I would never fly that, so whether it exists or not is irrelevant to me. There are many expensive flights that I wouldn't take that you can use to make your point, but they're only relevant if someone would fly it. When we went to IST, we bought tickets so we could earn EQM,and upgrade as far as LHR. One way tickets from IST to the US do not interest me. That's my logic.

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I converted from Marriott because I wanted to nail my 1MM on AA, and because I never use Marriott points.
Sounds like we are on the same wavelength
Since so much of the thread was about converting *wood points, I was curious if others were converting sizable quantities from other programs as well.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
In earlier posts you seemed to be dismissing the logic of those who preferred to use the starpoints to buy tickets, rather than awards, indicating that it didn't make sense.Obviously it does for some, even if not for you. If I misunderstood your criticism of other people's logic, my apologies.
Apologies accepted.

Originally Posted by brp
I would never fly that, so whether it exists or not is irrelevant to me. There are many expensive flights that I wouldn't take that you can use to make your point, but they're only relevant if someone would fly it. When we went to IST, we bought tickets so we could earn EQM,and upgrade as far as LHR. One way tickets from IST to the US do not interest me. That's my logic.
For the same logic, you dont use this type award does not mean others would not.

The reason for my post is - there are situations that a 20K or 25K AA miles worth a lot more than 20K SPG points and I provided a real-life scenario for those who may have such needs.
Or better yet, to make others aware that such possibility exists.

It does not interest you, that is fine. However, it may interest others who have the need to fly One-Way to / from North America - and the miles would become quite valuable in this case.

As a matter of fact, I would not be able to use the miles this way had AA not go to One-Way chart. Nor would I be able to construct an itinerary that could take full advantage of the North America gateway stopover, had it not for reading several informative posts on AA forum about how to construct such an itinerary.

As a reminder, the itinerary is IST-LHR-MIA-LAX with MIA-LAX remains open.

I sincerely thank those (especially guv1976) whose posts have helped me to save quite a bit on this trip.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 17, 2010 at 5:31 pm
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:45 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Apologies accepted.

For the same logic, you dont use this type award does not mean others would not.
Yeah,my bad. I took your comments

That is how miles should be used for, even for award in Y.
Your SPG pt bought ticket would probably require you to make cash co-payment to upgrade on top of the miles required.

I could not even see the logic to use such analysis.
to say that there was just one way for "how miles should be used" and that there was logic lacking in an analysis other than yours. Thanks for straightening things out.

Glad we got that straightened out and those of us who have absolutely no use for miles and/or one-way itineraries from IST have been deemed OK as well

Cheers.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:18 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by horseguy
I believe the eVIPs would expire on Feb 29, 2012, so you would have more than 20 months to use them. I'm personally in the process of converting all my SPG miles to AA miles because of this conversion bonus. That should push me through 6MM and 7MM.^
I am curious about your logic on this as I am in the same position. I have decided to sit on my SPG miles for hotels and airplane tickets that I can pay for with SPG points and still get miles and credit towards status. Do you really think the AA miles are worth that much more than starpoints???
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:42 pm

Question will bonus post if you use base points??

Sorry if this is a dumb question- I have just joined AAdvantage to take advantage of this offer. I have transferred SPG points to my new AAdvantage account. Hope to get the points soon!

IF i redeem these points as soon as they hit my AA account will I still get the 35% bonus points 7 days later or should I wait and make my redemptoion once the Bonus points have also posted into my AAaccount. Hope any AA gurus can help me. Thanking you in advance
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Glad we got that straightened out and those of us who have absolutely no use for miles and/or one-way itineraries from IST have been deemed OK as well
Cheers.
Hmmm, it seems to me you still dont get it - it is not for itineraries from IST, it is for itineraries to / from North America One-Way. But so be it, as you always claim you never use miles unlike many of us mortals here, who are always busy in accumulating and consuming the miles. We are of different types and that makes FT interesting.

On parting note, the OP who feels he has a tough decision to make whether 33,750 AA miles would worth more than 20K SPG points, is supposedly a LT PLT. Not sure a $216 worth SGP bought ticket would add much to that already achieved lifetime status. Hence the reason I posted my side of equation on how AA miles might worth in certain scenarios.

From the posts of people who reported taking this bonus offer, it is obvious that many think the bonus offer tips the scale.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 17, 2010 at 6:56 pm
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Well, just realistically, how many EQMs a $216 ticket could gain anyway?

Sticker upgrade I can see because it mostly likely would be a short hop. SWUs - would anyone waste a SWU on a short hop, except the SWU would go expired anyway?
Well, I think that sticker upgrades are probably the most likely places this scenario would come in to play, since there aren't many international flights for $216, although I could understand using a SWU on LAX-JFK or the like.

You can often find SFO-BOS, SFO-JFK, or SFO-FLL and similar routes for $216 or less if you are flexible with dates, although of course prices fluctuate, but those routes can net you a decent number of EQMs.

The differentials in mileage required between the offpeak Y award and the J award between Europe and N America is simply too big for us so we redeemed our first coach award since 2007 on any airline.

At 20K versus 50K, and at close to $1000 cash outlay for a pay ticket, it is a no brainer for us to tough out the AA coach LHR-MIA.
I don't think I would be willing to do TATL coach, that's pretty brutal, but I'm all for you continuing to redeem Y TATL awards, since it is less competition for my J redemptions or upgrades.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by luvtotravel72
Sorry if this is a dumb question- I have just joined AAdvantage to take advantage of this offer. I have transferred SPG points to my new AAdvantage account. Hope to get the points soon!

IF i redeem these points as soon as they hit my AA account will I still get the 35% bonus points 7 days later or should I wait and make my redemptoion once the Bonus points have also posted into my AAaccount. Hope any AA gurus can help me. Thanking you in advance
Yes - you will get the bonus even if you redeem miles immediately. Your outgoing miles don't affect the fact that you will earn bonus miles on the inbound transfers.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14131885-post45.html

By the way, I think you are skipping the week of June 21. This promo is still good for 13 more days.
Well, no question I've got the dates all FUBAR in my head.

But, my original concern still stands for transfers in that last week. Quoting from our lurker:
As long as you make the transaction within the time frame listed....
When these transactions are posted to the AA site, they reflect a transaction date of either late Sunday or early Monday every time I've done them, not the date that SPG tells me they executed the transfer.

The comments from the lurker don't indicate which date prevails. Have I "made a transaction" if AA hasn't acknowledged it yet?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 8:07 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
Originally Posted by luvtotravel72

Welcome to AA!

I read elsewhere that SPG points transferred to AA usually post Sunday or Monday weekly. I'm waiting for mine to post from a transfer earlier this week.

My Marriott miles transferred over within 24 hours. the 35% bonus miles post at the same time as the main transferred miles. there was no lag at all.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by abk
I am curious about your logic on this as I am in the same position. I have decided to sit on my SPG miles for hotels and airplane tickets that I can pay for with SPG points and still get miles and credit towards status. Do you really think the AA miles are worth that much more than starpoints???
I redeem miles mainly for first class international travel. For example, last year, my wife, myself, and an old college friend of mine flew roundtrip ORD-LHR in first. It cost me 750,000 AA miles. I just got a quote from spg.com and that same trip quoted at 2,145,000 SPG points!

As far as status, it hasn't been a problem yet (we fly a great deal).

There is another issue for me that makes the conversion quite nice. I get a huge kick out of chasing million mile multiples on AA. This conversion will push me through two more multiples.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:21 pm

Programs: QF OWE, HH D, HGP D, Starriott Plat, AA/LM/SQ/VA/QF/AS/BA
Is anyone else having problems transacting via points.com? I'm trying to purchase SPG and then loking to transfer to AA. A couple of months ago I made several transactions on 3 of my CC's (4 tx each) for the US Airways Div Miles promo and now points.com wont accept any of my cards. Message is "We are unable to process your credit card transaction. Please contact your credit card provider for further details."

Is there a maximu transaction count for CCs on points.com? Does this max expire? Anyway to get around it?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: AA 1mm, Starwood gd, BA, Delta, Cont, United, US air
My SPG miles transfer showed up on AA this morning. I did in fact get the 25% SPG bobus plus 35% SPG bonus on a 40000 mile transer.Sure wish I had waited to tranfer 60000 I trnsfered several months ago.rbc100
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by rbc100
My SPG miles transfer showed up on AA this morning. I did in fact get the 25% SPG bobus plus 35% SPG bonus on a 40000 mile transer.Sure wish I had waited to tranfer 60000 I trnsfered several months ago.rbc100
same here in the wife's account...^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.