Wiki Posts
Search

25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

I'm sure a lot of us got the email. Not as good as the US offer, but not terrible.

Convert Your Hotel Points Into AAdvantageŽ miles
and Earn Up To 35% Bonus Miles Towards Your Next Trip
Now through June 30, 2010 you have a unique opportunity to convert your
hotel points into American Airlines AAdvantageŽ miles and earn a bonus on
the amount of AAdvantage miles you receive from the conversion.

Earn a bonus of:
When you convert hotel points to:
25%
1,000 - 20,000 AAdvantage miles
35%
More than 20,000 AAdvantage miles

For example, convert your points into 20,000 AAdvantage miles and earn
5,000 bonus miles from American Airlines to have enough for a round-trip
flight award. Convert your points into 40,000 AAdvantage miles and you'll
earn 14,000 bonus miles from American Airlines.

So 40k SPG would become 67.5k AA.

Details
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Interesting, but I don't think it's such a hot deal.

I currently have 140k HHonors points after going on a spending spree. That still gets me 3+ nights in a hotel despite the devaluation. 140k converted to aadvantage despite the 35% bonus gets me a domestic saaver ticket.

What do others think?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Could be useful when converting from SPG, IF this bonus is on top of the 25% bonus SPG adds when transferring 20,000 points (and it is, if I'm reading it correctly). I'm usually not too quick to part with SPG points but in this case I might jump on it.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Does anyone know how AA typically handles these sort of promos?

When I read the T&C, I see:

"To qualify for this AAdvantageŽ bonus mile offer, member must complete AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between 12:00 am CDT June 14, 2010 and 11:59 pm CDT June 30, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles."

When AA says "member must complete AA mileage conversion," I'm reading it as the points must be converted and posted within this period in order to qualify. Am I reading it correctly?

So, if I had placed a transfer let's say on June 1, but the points post between June 14 and 30, will the bonus still be awarded even though the the transaction might back date to the original transaction date?

Post date or transaction date?

Also, "Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles."

I'm reading this as that all Wyndham conversions will only receive a 25% bonus since their maximum transfer is less than 20,000 AA miles per award. Even if you are transfering 200K AA miles, they will be cut into many smaller separate transactions thus only earning 25% instead of 35%.

Last edited by BlissWorld; Jun 14, 2010 at 10:00 am
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
Could be useful when converting from SPG, IF this bonus is on top of the 25% bonus SPG adds when transferring 20,000 points (and it is, if I'm reading it correctly). I'm usually not too quick to part with SPG points but in this case I might jump on it.
Yes, the 25% or 35% bonus is on top of the 25% SPG bonus for transferring in 20k point blocks.

Here's a link to discussion of this promotion in the SPG Forum.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:58 am

Wow! This is a great deal if you are doing final Marriott/Airline mile packages before Marriott stops partnering with AA. I hate that we lose AA as a redemption option on packages but appreciate the bonus in these last days. I keep thinking maybe I am reading the deal incorrectly.

The only thing I am wondering, as so many hotel brands are included: How badly does AA need cash? This seems like a heavy push to sell miles to the partners.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayblue

Convert your points into 40,000 AAdvantage miles and you'll
earn 14,000 bonus miles from American Airlines.[/I]

So 40k SPG would become 67.5k AA.

Details
I believe 40k SPG would become 64k AA
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yojimbo
I believe 40k SPG would become 64k AA
40k SPG = 50k AA after SPG 25% bonus.

50k incoming from SPG x 135% = 67.5k AA after 35% AA promotion bonus.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:10 am

40k SPG = 50k AA after SPG 25% bonus.

50k incoming from SPG x 135% = 67.5k AA after 35% AA promotion bonus.
Gotcha....I hope you are right, but I'm not sure the 35% applies to the 5,000 SPG bonus miles.

Here's a quote from the email I received: "Convert your points into 40,000 AAdvantage miles and you'll earn 14,000 bonus miles from American Airlines."

I guess in your example, you are converting into 50,000 AA miles, so you are probably right re the 67.5K miles
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yojimbo
Gotcha....I hope you are right, but I'm not sure the 35% applies to the 5,000 SPG bonus miles.

Here's a quote from the email I received: "Convert your points into 40,000 AAdvantage miles and you'll earn 14,000 bonus miles from American Airlines."

I guess in your example, you are converting into 50,000 AA miles, so you are probably right re the 67.5K miles
But what you are forgetting is that AA doesn't know or care about the bonuses that various hotel loyalty programs offer. Every program is different. Yes, it's true that if SPG transferred 40k of their points to AA you would get 14k extra from AA. But in order to transfer 40k points from SPG you would have to initiate a transfer of 35k SPG. If you transfer 40k SPG you are really transferring 50k.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:19 am

But what you are forgetting is that AA doesn't know or care about the bonuses that various hotel loyalty programs offer. Every program is different. Yes, it's true that if SPG transferred 40k of their points to AA you would get 14k extra from AA. But in order to transfer 40k points from SPG you would have to initiate a transfer of 35k SPG. If you transfer 40k SPG you are really transferring 50k.
I stand corrected....thanks for the clarification
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:20 am

It's a good offer in the sense that I am not using my HHonors points as I don't stay with Hilton family that much. I will just transfer the points to AA and maybe get some good use out of them down the road.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: Marriott PP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelersWife
Wow! This is a great deal if you are doing final Marriott/Airline mile packages before Marriott stops partnering with AA. I hate that we lose AA as a redemption option on packages but appreciate the bonus in these last days. I keep thinking maybe I am reading the deal incorrectly.

The only thing I am wondering, as so many hotel brands are included: How badly does AA need cash? This seems like a heavy push to sell miles to the partners.
From T&C
"Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer."

Is this going to exclude Marriott Travel Packages?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles.
So if I make multiple SPG transfers on different dates all above 25K, they all get the bonus or not?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by stldude
From T&C
"Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer."

Is this going to exclude Marriott Travel Packages?
It probably should... assuming AA's systems are smart enough to tell the difference between Marriott posting miles from a transfer and Marriott posting miles from a package.

Anyone have any experience with this in the past, either similar bonus offers or even just how the MR miles line item appears on your account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.