Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
pkerr:

I'm having a hard time seeing why that is such a tough decision, but maybe my sarcasm meter is broken! (To put it in relative terms, I can cash in 20,000 Flex Perks for a $400 ticket. That trumps the *point alternative by a wide margin!)

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jun 16, 2010 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
We do not allow the combining of transactions in order to reach a certain threshold. If you do one conversion to get 40K AAdvantage miles, then you get a 35% bonus. If you transact twice to get 20K miles each time, you will only get the 25% bonus on each conversion.
I'm a little confused by this statement.
If someone makes a 40K transfer and then a 5K transfer will you get 35% on everything or only on the 40K transfer?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by YourAAdvantageVoice
-You can convert with as many hotels as you want and will get the bonus on each one. We do not allow the combining of transactions in order to reach a certain threshold. If you do one conversion to get 40K AAdvantage miles, then you get a 35% bonus. If you transact twice to get 20K miles each time, you will only get the 25% bonus on each conversion.

Hope these answers help clear the air!
still dont get a clear answer on the following. if I transfer from spg for instance, 60k spg to aa today, and again tomorrow, will i get 35% each, or 35% for first time and 25% for second transfer?
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I'm a little confused by this statement.
If someone makes a 40K transfer and then a 5K transfer will you get 35% on everything or only on the 40K transfer?
As confusing as the T&Cs are, I don't see how the clarification can be interpreted any other way -- you would receive a 35% bonus on the 40k transfer and a 25% bonus on the 5k transfer no matter in which order you submit them.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by moebod
still dont get a clear answer on the following. if I transfer from spg for instance, 60k spg to aa today, and again tomorrow, will i get 35% each, or 35% for first time and 25% for second transfer?
I think you are quite safe in assuming you will get 35% on both of your proposed 60k transactions.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
pkerr:

I'm having a hard time seeing why that is such a tough decision, but maybe my sarcasm meter is broken! (To put it in relative terms, I can cash in 20,000 Flex Perks for a $400 ticket. That trumps the *point alternative by a wide margin!)
Your Flex Perks might get YOU a $400 ticket but my SPG 20,000 pts only gets me a $265 ticket. And that includes all taxes and fees. So the initial ticket cost would be even lower. If I could get a $400 ticket then it would be an easy choice.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:50 pm

Never mind...
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:53 pm

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
Originally Posted by pkerr
Your Flex Perks might get YOU a $400 ticket but my SPG 20,000 pts only gets me a $265 ticket. And that includes all taxes and fees. So the initial ticket cost would be even lower. If I could get a $400 ticket then it would be an easy choice.
Convert the 20k *wood pts to 33,750 miles and use 25k miles for a round trip ticket anywhere in the 48 states on AA no matter how much the ticket costs. But I wouldn't even think of cashing in miles for a ticket that cost $265, would save it for the the $400+ or $500+ tickets. If the flight I wanted only cost $215 or $265 total, I'd be buying it and saving my miles for a big ticket.

To me, it's a no brainer, and you have an extra 8,750 miles leftover if you do it.

My marriott points all posted within 24 hours of my marriott online order, but my *wood conversion is 24 hours and not posted yet. we'll see tomorrow. will put me at about 2M miles and I can relax
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up

Great offer.

I finally pulled the trigger and transferred over 60,000 SPG points Once the 101,250 AA miles post, I will be within 90,000 miles of 2M, which I should hit by the end of the year easily. Thanks AA
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:55 pm

Your 20,000 SPG points actually gets you 33,750 AA miles at the moment. That seems to me to be a far better deal than a $265 ticket IF you use your miles wisely. I only brought up Flex Perks to show you that the alternative that you are apparently contemplating is not that special of a deal.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer1965
My marriott points all posted within 24 hours of my marriott online order, but my *wood conversion is 24 hours and not posted yet. we'll see tomorrow. will put me at about 2M miles and I can relax
Just an FYI, the word is that Starwood -> AA conversions post on the next Monday . . .
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just an FYI, the word is that Starwood -> AA conversions post on the next Monday . . .
There are going to be a lot more million miler shout outs in the coming weeks
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mktozd
There are going to be a lot more million miler shout outs in the coming weeks
I wish I was one, but I'll still be about 200K short after all of this.

On the flip side, last November, when I started this quest, I had about 70K lifetime miles, so I'm making better progress than I expected. My initial guess was 2 years to 1M.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer1965
Convert the 20k *wood pts to 33,750 miles and use 25k miles for a round trip ticket anywhere in the 48 states on AA no matter how much the ticket costs. But I wouldn't even think of cashing in miles for a ticket that cost $265, would save it for the the $400+ or $500+ tickets. If the flight I wanted only cost $215 or $265 total, I'd be buying it and saving my miles for a big ticket.

To me, it's a no brainer, and you have an extra 8,750 miles leftover if you do it.

In my mind, this is the dilemma...

Typically I do use my miles for a more expensive ticket and buy the cheaper ones. However, I'm finding that more and more with AA's cutbacks, that available and convenient Award flights aren't always to be found.

So I'm thinking that if I do the "purchase" option, I can have ANY flight option, along with an upgradeable ticket and earn miles.

So it's pretty much a per flight issue. Sometimes it might work out to do an award and sometimes, if I need specific days or times, use the "purchase" option.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Hmmmm...
Another wrinkle for you number crunchers.

I can trade in 20,000 SPG pts and get 33,750 AA miles.

OR I can use the 20,000 points and have SPG buy a ticket for me on AA valued between $215 and $265 that will earn miles and that can be upgraded.

Hmmmm.... What to do? What to do?
This depends on how you would use the AA miles. If you intend to get an award ticket, such as a 25k domestic round-trip, then I'd say have SPG buy you a coach ticket. As you say, you'll earn miles (both status and redeemable) and can upgrade the ticket. As you know, availability tends to be easer on a paid ticket.

Those of us who need to work at maintaining status try to avoid ever flying on an award, choosing instead to use miles for companion tickets, upgrades, or both. So, if you intend to use the miles for an upgrade, then go for the SPG->AA transfer and earn the double bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.