Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% to 35% Bonus miles on hotel point transfers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:00 am

Just called AA and they said it will take up to 7 business days, which I knew already but seeing others get theirs much faster had me worried...

At first she said "Did you register for this promotion?"

I said no, because you dont have to or you better not have to , she looked it up and said no, you dont have to register for it...had me worried there for a minute.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
My transfers posted from last week but without any hotel bonus yet.

Here are the full terms and conditions:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/b...conditions.jsp

AAdvantageŽ Bonus Mile Offer Terms And Conditions

To qualify for this AAdvantageŽ bonus mile offer, member must initiate the AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between 12:00 am CDT June 14, 2010 and 11:59 pm CDT June 30, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members can convert multiple times with multiple hotel participants. However, members cannot combine conversion transactions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants in order to reach a certain threshold for the bonus miles.

To earn the 25% conversion bonus, member must convert points from eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants that result in 1,000 - 20,000 AAdvantage miles within the Promotion Period. To earn the 35% conversion bonus, member must convert points from eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants that equate to 20,001 or more AAdvantage miles within the Promotion Period. Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer. This offer is non-transferable and non-reversible.

Bonus miles will be posted by American Airlines to the qualifying AAdvantage member's account within 7 business days after the initial conversion activity has been posted by the eligible hotel program participant. Bonus miles earned in this promotion do not count toward elite status qualification.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: A few
given the t&c's clearly state "initiate by 30th june" i've gone and lobbed another 40k spg over. guess it won't get there until next sunday sweep but should still qualify and if it doesn't am sure a call to customer service will get it there. nice promo i needed to boost accounts after depleting on a big asia trip
Old Jun 28, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Follow-up

Originally Posted by Alka
Interesting. My Marriott transfer took a few days to post -- but only the converted miles are shown, not the 25- and 35-percent bonuses.

I'll give it a few days and then contact AAdvantage CS. Anyone else encounter the same problem with a Marriott points conversion?
Just to follow-up on my earlier post as a FYI to those now taking advantage of the conversion bonus offer:

Eight days following the conversion of my Marriott points, I still haven't received the 25- and 35-percent bonuses (although the two transactions posted).

I called AAdvantage CS and, after a little investigating, was told that while the bonus miles initially posted very quickly, the bonus is now posting 7-10 business days after the conversion.

Alka
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:18 pm

Should I Convert MR Points?

Hello. I hope someone could provide some sensible direction here. Although I am a self-admitted hotel snob, I am no expert when is comes to $/miles and the appropriate use of loyalty programs.

I am currently AA EXP, SPG PLT, and MR Gold. My company pays for all of my business travel.

830K LT AA miles
190K MR points
100K SPG Starpoints

I prefer SPG and Hilton for business overnights, but will use Marriott when the only nice option, as well as for redeeming reward stays. I prefer to maintain my SPG PLT status as the hotel brand of choice.

Ideally, I would like to use points/miles for hotel stays for my family of 4 during vacation travel, and be able to upgrade when possible to business/first when traveling with the family.

I'll make 1MM on my own over the next two years, so there is no rush to get there since I should stay EXP. I like having points available for hotel stays, but I will always pay cash for cheap hotels or flights.

Should I take advantage of the conversion, or just retain the MR points for down-the-road hotel reward stays?

Thanks for any input!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:37 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Alka
Just to follow-up on my earlier post as a FYI to those now taking advantage of the conversion bonus offer:

Eight days following the conversion of my Marriott points, I still haven't received the 25- and 35-percent bonuses (although the two transactions posted).

I called AAdvantage CS and, after a little investigating, was told that while the bonus miles initially posted very quickly, the bonus is now posting 7-10 business days after the conversion.

Alka
What's the big rush?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:39 pm

Personally, it isnt about being in a rush, it is about it coming thru, period.

When that csr asked me if I registered first, i got one of those ice cream instant headaches, without the ice cream

No, I didnt, turns out didnt have to, but those are the kind of things that can screw you up so until the bonus posts, if you are like me, you are not sure it is going to.

and just so no confusion, NO you dont have to register first
Old Jun 28, 2010, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
given the t&c's clearly state "initiate by 30th june" ...
I "initiated" a transfer of some Choice points last week, but they haven't hit as of today. Can I assume the "initiation" date is the date when AA gets the transfer request, not when you did it?

For the record, my Marriott points showed up with the bonus within three days of the transfer. My SPG points showed up today, but no bonus as yet. Apparently, it's going to happen eventually, so I shouldn't worry.

And randys1, go easy on the ice cream, OK?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
... Can I assume the "initiation" date is the date when AA gets the transfer request, not when you did it?
...)
I would read it as being from when you did it:

"...member must initiate the AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between...".
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Is the 25% versus 35% bonus based on each individual transfer, or the total number of miles transferring in during the period?

For example, if you have already transferred in 50,000 miles, and then do a transfer of 15,000 miles, will the second 15,000 transfer get the 25% or 35% bonus?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, *wood Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm confused: how can I guarantee the 35% bonus instead of the 25% bonus?

say I have 100K SPG points. Should I transfer them in groups of 20K? or groups of 20001 SPG?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:58 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by nologic
Is the 25% versus 35% bonus based on each individual transfer, or the total number of miles transferring in during the period?
For example, if you have already transferred in 50,000 miles, and then do a transfer of 15,000 miles, will the second 15,000 transfer get the 25% or 35% bonus?
for 65k miles

50= 50+10+21 = 81k
15= 25% only = 18750.
65 = 99750
If you had done 60, you would have got both the 25kx3+26500 = 101500
60=101500
5 = 6250
65=107750 You get 8000 more by hitting the 20k targets

If you want, you can do
40= 50+17500 = 67500
25= 30+10500 = 40500
65= 108000, the best method

The most miles are by transferring a multiple of 20 and doing the misc miles along with 20 at the end to get 35% bonus and not 25% bonus (you can get that anytime with a 20k transfer)

Last edited by ffI; Jun 28, 2010 at 8:04 pm
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Did anyone else transfer Hyatt points ?

I swapped 50K Hyatt GP into 20K AA and that should have gotten me a 5k bonus as well. However Hyatt had an IT issue on their end and only posted 20k now they pushed the missed 5k as well but I see what will happen: I will only get 25% instead of 35% because it's 20.000 and not 20.001+ miles.

Answer from Hyatt: We dont have a contact at AA. If it doesnt post correctly (and it wont) get in touch with them and they shall contact us. w t f !?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GrizShel
My transfers posted from last week but without any hotel bonus yet.

Here are the full terms and conditions:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/b...conditions.jsp
I have just reviewed the T&C (link below from the offer email) and there seems to be a discreptancy. In your link, it says:

To qualify for this AAdvantageŽ bonus mile offer, member must initiate the AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between 12:00 am CDT June 14, 2010 and 11:59 pm CDT June 30, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members can convert multiple times with multiple hotel participants. However, members cannot combine conversion transactions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants in order to reach a certain threshold for the bonus miles.
In the T&C link from my promotional email, it says:

To qualify for this AAdvantageŽ bonus mile offer, member must complete AAdvantage mileage conversions with eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants between 12:00 am CDT June 14, 2010 and 11:59 pm CDT June 30, 2010 (the “Promotion Period”), and be in good standing in the AAdvantage program. Members cannot combine AAdvantage mileage conversions from the same or multiple eligible AAdvantage program hotel participants to earn the bonus miles.
http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu...onv_Legal.html

Note the "complete" vs. "initiate" conversions found in your link - I'm really not sure what will happen if I start a conversion now and it doesn't go through to AA until after July 1. I'll call AAdvantage customer service tomorrow (they've gone home) and double/triple/quadruple check.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Still waiting for bonus

Tomorrow is my 9th day since posting on aa.com. Still no bonus. I guess I need to call tomorrow. Any others in the same boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.