Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I just did a dummy booking on PDX-SAN and did not see the new options. I wonder if this is limited to long haul flights.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I just did a dummy booking on PDX-SAN and did not see the new options. I wonder if this is limited to long haul flights.
Or perhaps Hawaii flights.. I can neither confirm nor deny. 🤙🏻
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I have an LAX-SEA 3 weeks out. It's already got a menu button but won't let me order once there. Still showing Harvest Smoked Turkey or F&C, but they've got some time to update it to something warm...
pre order available 2 weeks before flight....
Add my vote for something warm.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I fondly remember the grilled cheese with tomato bacon jam in Y. Those were sooo good.
warm, wrapped in foil..gooey. Yum.
I started making bacon jam after having that sandwich. Sandwich came from food truck here in Seattle, they gave catering the recipe.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll
As much as I would LOVE more hot food in F, I think this is probably in response to UA improving F catering on Hawaii flights...for "bread and butter" flights like SEA-LAX, I think there are a lot of fruit and cheese plates and Turkey sandwiches in our future. The "rumor" was that April would bring catering changes/updates but it's April and other than the Hawaii flights everything looks to be status quo. I won't complain too much as long as we get to keep those chocolate chip cookies and never go back to those yucky nutty ones By-the-way...I have discovered that eating them directly out of the bag decreases the mess factor.

Last edited by PDXPremier; Apr 2, 2021 at 9:40 pm
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcoll
I know. That's why it's weird that it's taunting me with an active button and showing a menu.

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for a smoothie shot, small salad, something warm for an entree, and a warm choclolate chip cookie.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
The Kind Bar is also a more substantial snack option.
I prefer something I can eat without touching the food.

However, I had the beef jerky and it is the most substantial snack that doesn't includes nuts. To prevent touching the food with my hands, I can shake the pieces from the bag into my mouth like a school aged child does in a first class lunchroom.
I'm glad to see someone likes the Kind bar....those always looked like tree bark covered in super glue...yuck. I would prefer a Quaker Chewy Granola Bar over that.

Last edited by dayone; Apr 3, 2021 at 12:24 am Reason: Fix quote syntax.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
The Kind Bar is also a more substantial snack option.
I prefer something I can eat without touching the food.

However, I had the beef jerky and it is the most substantial snack that doesn't includes nuts.
On PHX-SFO last night, snack basket contents were (1) chex-mix, (2) kind bar, (3) biscoff. That's it. Reminded me of (pre-covid) UA. One-off or downgrade?

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 3, 2021 at 8:12 am
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Kacee
On PHX-SFO last night, snack basket contents were (1) chex-mix, (2) kind bar, (3) biscoff. That's it. Reminded me of (pre-covid) UA. One-off or downgrade?
One-off. Usually includes popcorn, Swedish fish, and these cookie things too, but it can change by one or two items depending upon stations and catering availability. The Swedish fish replaced the beef jerky.

Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I got Swedish Fish (made in Turkey) that was past it's "expiration" date: end of March. I'll eat them, I don't think they expire. As they get older, they get tougher just like seasoned travelers.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
One-off. Usually includes popcorn, Swedish fish, and these cookie things too, but it can change by one or two items depending upon stations and catering availability. The Swedish fish replaced the beef jerky.

Right. There was no popcorn, no chips, no swedish fish (or beef jerky) and I especially missed the theo chocolate. They seem to have problems on the Skywest flights keeping the basket stocked and the FAs are generally pretty lazy (only one pass) compared to mainline AS. That said, AS still the best option on SFO-PHX, if the once daily flight times works.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I'm glad to see someone likes the Kind bar....those always looked like tree bark covered in super glue...yuck. I would prefer a Quaker Chewy Granola Bar over that.
I had to laugh at the super glue comment...I've never been able to eat it without actually taking it out of the wrapper, and you are right, I think it's messier than any heated cookie!
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
anyone missing the MVP/G/75k chocolate? During my past 10 flights or so, I got only 3 or 4 of them. Nothing even on the transcon, or I should say of course nothing on transcon.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 7:46 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by simonsuo
anyone missing the MVP/G/75k chocolate? During my past 10 flights or so, I got only 3 or 4 of them. Nothing even on the transcon, or I should say of course nothing on transcon.
Are you saying you received 3-4 of them per flight, or that 3-4 out of 10 flights you received one bar? If the former and more than a couple of elites are eating these they can and do run out of stock.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonsuo
I haven't gone past row 4 since thanksgiving, so I couldn't guess, but in the dark days of no food at all they were handing out the chocolate bars in F like, well, candy.

And I like to think that the hot chocolate chip cookies up front are to keep the ovens warm and the FAs in practice for operating them in preparation of the return of hot food on flights that had it in 2019.
ACBLtd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.