Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by econ
I always thought it was odd that there was only a knife provided. If there was a fork, I probably wouldn't need the knife at all.

It would also make it a lot easier to detach the grapes from the stem.
I use the knife to slice the brie (or whatever that cube/wedge is) into thinner slices to put on the crackers. How would you do that with a fork?
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I use the knife to slice the brie (or whatever that cube/wedge is) into thinner slices to put on the crackers. How would you do that with a fork?
I'd probably manage to slice through it with the side of the fork. Or just pick it up with the fork and take small bites out it.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I always take the rhind off the brie with the knife.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by econ
I'd probably manage to slice through it with the side of the fork. Or just pick it up with the fork and take small bites out it.
I have to ask...is this because of Covid, or is this how you have always eaten your fruit plate (without touching anything?). You do know that whatever you fear is on the fruit and cheese ends up in your stomach, right? And if you clean your own fingers before eating, I'm just really confused...
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I have to ask...is this because of Covid, or is this how you have always eaten your fruit plate (without touching anything?). You do know that whatever you fear is on the fruit and cheese ends up in your stomach, right? And if you clean your own fingers before eating, I'm just really confused...
As others have mentioned, the brie & fruit can be sticky and/or slightly messy.

Also, I tend to nibble at the F&C plate over a longer period of time, so if I'm using a laptop/tablet/phone/etc. I don't want to get them all messy or have to keep cleaning my hands.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Requiem for the Ham and Egg Salad Wrap

O Hark, I ate you yesterday. I added pepper to assist. It helped you on the way down.

While I won’t miss your passing that much, you were better than a Delta snack box.

Always washed down with a can of wine, in a pandemic pinch you did me fine.

But now, unlikely to ever see you return, your memories shall remain eternal, or until the Flyertalk database meets the giant electromagnet in the skies.

Amen
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
(Plays taps slowly)
Old Apr 11, 2021, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Requiem for the Ham and Egg Salad Wrap

O Hark, I ate you yesterday. I added pepper to assist. It helped you on the way down.

While I won’t miss your passing that much, you were better than a Delta snack box.

Always washed down with a can of wine, in a pandemic pinch you did me fine.

But now, unlikely to ever see you return, your memories shall remain eternal, or until the Flyertalk database meets the giant electromagnet in the skies.

Amen
Love the requiem, but I think this would be more appropriate when the egg salad wrap goes away...unless you're lucky enough to be flying in F to Hawaii, it sounds like this culinary delight is going to be around for awhile...it could be worse....they could have wrapped the egg salad in kale
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Love the requiem, but I think this would be more appropriate when the egg salad wrap goes away...unless you're lucky enough to be flying in F to Hawaii, it sounds like this culinary delight is going to be around for awhile...it could be worse....they could have wrapped the egg salad in kale
Don't be giving them any ideas.

Although, I wouldn't mind a ham and egg and rice misubi kind of deal with a seaweed wrap.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

Although, I wouldn't mind a ham and egg and rice misubi kind of deal with a seaweed wrap.
Ewwwwwww.....
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
it could be worse....they could have wrapped the egg salad in kale
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
<quietly hides his letter asking for for an egg salad and polenta kale wrap>
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm glad I'm not the only one who would pre-order that if given an option for breakfast LOL
Old Apr 13, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Don't hide that letter. Burn it
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:31 pm

Look for more positive service changes in May. Don’t have details but expect that you’ll see hot meals on more flights.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking

Originally Posted by brentyb
Its a full sandwich or cheese plate, plus a big cookie, and then whatever you want to grab from the snack basket. Does one really need that much more food to sustain them for 5 hours?
Yeah, its a snack sandwich, medium cookie, and random assortment of snacks. Maybe if I had the whole basket...

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Interesting. To be honest, I'm a little shocked to hear that they wouldn't announce this return to meal service, albeit on a limited basis, internally to those that are tasked with serving it before introducing it. But to be fair, they're playing catch-up with HA and UA in the HI market on this front.

And as I mentioned before, if it's actually a filet, they're leap-frogging ahead of them.
Wish it was sans shrooms.

Other than adding back some alcohol, I don't understand what changes are happening on April 13th....changes I would like to see would be allowing beverage service at least in F on flights under 350 miles (like PDX-SEA) and having more than just water/OJ/beer on the Q400 flights--especially the longer ones that are well over 350 miles.
FAI-ANC-FAI has been quite lame too. Water. Sometimes offered a refill, sometimes they don't even offer that.

Originally Posted by logicalrealist
LAX to Hawaii, 4/29:
  • Butternut squash risotto - Mascarpone butternut squash risotto with roasted butternut squash, herb marinated roasted tomato, wilted spinach, and smoked tomato cream sauce
  • Huli Huli Chicken - Grilled Hulu Huli Chicken, with saffron scented jasmine rice, garlic and lemon marinated Tuscan kale, grilled pineapple, and pineapple barbeque sauce
  • Fruit and cheese plate
Huli Huli yes please. Now, how do they fit that rotisserie on a plane?

Well, that's an easy choice....omelett hands down.
Umm... Kalua Pork any day for me

Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
Still no Crater Lake. I guess I'll have to settle for Bailey's and actual coffee.

Sad- I need to refill my collection.

Still excited for my weekend- will have to see how it goes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.