Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nevsky
I am flying AS for the first time in a year. Flying many flights in First, including cross-country. What happens if I do not pre-order a meal? Neither of the two choices interest me. Does that mean bringing my own food?
Probably, or get something in the airport.

One thing to be aware of is that airport restaurants may or may not keep the hours listed on their websites or the airport website. It's been very inconsistent.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
LAX-SFO Only a small bottle of water today. Something like a snack basket shouldn't be too much to offer, like the basket on the SFO-LAX flights. Otherwise, what is the differentiation?
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It sounds like Delta is adding additional food & beverage offerings on April 14th, including canned cocktails (https://tiptopcocktails.com/). It's not clear if this will even bring them to the current AS service level, but for our sake and the sake of minis returning, let's hope so!
I've heard there will be positive changes in April at Alaska as well. To what extent, I don't know - but I've heard additional options for food and possibly more drink options. I should stress - I got it second hand from someone that would know. I'm waiting for an announcement anytime soon.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I've heard there will be positive changes in April at Alaska as well. To what extent, I don't know - but I've heard additional options for food and possibly more drink options. I should stress - I got it second hand from someone that would know. I'm waiting for an announcement anytime soon.
I have no idea what song I'd have played in my head over the past couple of decades while reading such posts had Bananarama never recorded I Heard A Rumor. I just sincerely hope that this is not another Cruel Summer in the onboard F&B department, and when Venus is the name of my FA, that she's got it (i.e., my preferred F&B choices).
skyblue, AS Flyer, VibeGuy and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I have no idea what song I'd have played in my head over the past couple of decades while reading such posts had Bananarama never recorded I Heard A Rumor. I just sincerely hope that this is not another Cruel Summer in the onboard F&B department, and when Venus is the name of my FA, that she's got it (i.e., my preferred F&B choices).
If Venus brings your preferred F&B choices will it then be Love in the First Degree?
Eastbay1K, NoLaGent and pcoll like this.
Old Mar 25, 2021, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If Venus brings your preferred F&B choices will it then be Love in the First Degree?
It is currently too speculative to answer, but at some point, I may need to take the 5th. Besides, you never know when Robert DeNiro's waiting at the other end, and he don't mess around.
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:16 pm

UA is upgrading hot sandwiches to full meals on SFO/LAX-HI flights starting April 1. Will AS follow?
Old Mar 26, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
UA is upgrading hot sandwiches to full meals on SFO/LAX-HI flights starting April 1. Will AS follow?
There may be information about this, which I cannot disclose at this time. AS may
make an announcement about it at some point.
ual744777sta likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Mar 26, 2021 at 5:41 pm
Old Mar 26, 2021, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by anteater
There may be information about this, which I cannot disclose at this time. AS may
make an announcement about it at some point.
It's quite likely a possible maybe at this point, but time will tell. Or it won't. We'll see.

All I know is they have quite a list of announcements (SFO Lounge being at the top of my list) that many people are curious about, but you know what they say about curiosity...

Poor kitty.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Perhaps I'm missing some safety aspect here, but it seems to me that if Alaska crews and associated contractors can safely prepare, load onboard and dispense sandwiches, cheese plates, et al by hand, they could just as easily re-establish a relationship with Tom Douglas or someone of similar capabilities and safely offer First Class clientele hot meals such as the hot bowls they used to sell back in steerage for $6 or thereabouts. If nothing else, similar meals from the likes of Marie Calander can be purchased in the freezer section of your local supermarket for about $4. Here are some pictures of Tom Douglas's offerings for memory's sake...

Coconut Chicken

Louisiana Jambalaya Bowl

Chicken and Sweet Potatoes Dinner

Sonora Chicken Bowl

Scrambled Egg Skillet

Okay, I go away now
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Oh yeah - not like we'll ever see these again but I sure enjoyed those "Small Plates" meals while they lasted. Not poplar with the crews though...

Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I loved the Small Plates too! Reminds me of the HA service from just a couple of years ago.
eponymous_coward and 95037 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Oh yeah - not like we'll ever see these again but I sure enjoyed those "Small Plates" meals while they lasted. Not poplar with the crews though...

LOVED the small plates meal service!
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Quit making me hungry Seat2A !
Old Mar 28, 2021, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AS hasn't gotten the hot sandwiches yet so I dont see the jump from a cold turkey sandwich to a full meal in our near future...baby steps...lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.