Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
For a non-Hawaii redeye in First class these days, nothing offered right besides drinks?
My last red eye was usual non -Hawaii COVID service. FA didn’t initially offer the snack basket but prepared it upon request
ual744777sta and pcoll like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is also well-understood that airplanes have had queen carts on them for years, so really, "we" have afforded it far longer than you probably even realized Also, please don't confuse drag on aircraft with drag in aircraft!
Oh my god, I so miss queen carts. Western had the best ones domestically, given that they had the orchid-strewn volcano punch service.

Maybe it’s time for Alaska to return either Samovar Service or Coconut Grizzlies. No time like the present to end the second era of the Plain Plane (apologies to Braniff).

Old Apr 17, 2021, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Although it wasn't in First Class, today was the first time I've seen AS serve boxed water...actually, I think its the first time I've seen boxed water anywhere. Not sure if these will make their way to mainline AS flights, but they seem far more environmentally friendly than the little plastic bottles. These were servèd on a Q400 flight from SEA-FCA today.
TheBeerHunter and simonsuo like this.
Old Apr 17, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Having just flown on a Hawaii flight, it was great to finally have a full hot meal in F. I’m wondering when glassware, lemons/limes and rum/tequila will reappear? I guess I’m confused at why they rolled the service back only half way when there really is no difference adding back all the old options and individual glasses.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Just serve me all of the Peatos I can eat and I am happy. These things are good!!!

Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
SFO to LAX. Water bottle only. Nothing else.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that would be correct for a flight under 350 miles:
I was on that route and the same. But I recalled someone reported they had a full bar experience on this route. I forgot which thread I saw.

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
Just serve me all of the Peatos I can eat and I am happy. These things are good!!!
Hands down my favorite snacks among them all. Even after beef jerky (which I haven't seen for a long time).
Old Apr 19, 2021, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
^ I don't know if it's this thread or the comments one, but as noted several times by multiple posters, the SFO/LAX route is subject to the whims of the Skywest crews operating these flights. It runs the gamut. I've had all permutations of it, and when offered only water on my return leg the other day, my request for a vodka/seltzer was happily provided.

And beef jerky has been replaced by the Swedish fish.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Full disclosure, I don't like butternut squash but that's not something I would want...ever...looks like baby food. I'd probably go with the chicken (minus the pineapple).
Old May 24, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
5/23/2021 AS121, SEA-ANC, 8 P.M. departure. The most poor service I have ever experienced on Alaska Airlines. Drink orders taken prior to departure. I heard the guy on the row in front of me ask for a rum and Coke. I asked the FA if they really did have rum and she assured me they did. I ordered one since it is my go to in the evening (well, other than wine). After takeoff she came back and apologized but they did not have rum. I ordered something else which was brought to me a while later. Shortly after that the snack basket was passed around. After that, nothing, nada, nyet. She NEVER came around to offer refills, second pass of the basket...NOTHING. I watched her talk to another FA (she in the galley, the other one at the jump seats) for over an hour. After that she disappeared to the back of the plane to continue chatting with her friends. If anyone wanted anything, they used the call button. We were well into the descent into ANC before she showed up again to clean up the cabin. Fortunately I know this is very much a one-off situation, but still.....
Old May 24, 2021, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOB W
5/23/2021 AS121, SEA-ANC, 8 P.M. departure. The most poor service I have ever experienced on Alaska Airlines. Drink orders taken prior to departure. I heard the guy on the row in front of me ask for a rum and Coke. I asked the FA if they really did have rum and she assured me they did. I ordered one since it is my go to in the evening (well, other than wine). After takeoff she came back and apologized but they did not have rum. I ordered something else which was brought to me a while later. Shortly after that the snack basket was passed around. After that, nothing, nada, nyet. She NEVER came around to offer refills, second pass of the basket...NOTHING. I watched her talk to another FA (she in the galley, the other one at the jump seats) for over an hour. After that she disappeared to the back of the plane to continue chatting with her friends. If anyone wanted anything, they used the call button. We were well into the descent into ANC before she showed up again to clean up the cabin. Fortunately I know this is very much a one-off situation, but still.....
You're lucky...you at least got one pass of the snack basket....on ANC-PHX (almost 5 hours), we didn't even get a pack of pretzels.....my guess is that coach got more "food" than us.
Old May 24, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
You're lucky...you at least got one pass of the snack basket....on ANC-PHX (almost 5 hours), we didn't even get a pack of pretzels.....my guess is that coach got more "food" than us.
What is particularly grating is that a friend of mine was on the SEA-FAI flight last night that took off at 7:50 PM last night. He got a full meal service. Take off 10 minutes later and you get this!!!
Old May 25, 2021, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
It's probably just me, but to my twisted way of thinking ALL of the FA's on this flight described above were guilty of being slackers, not just the one assigned to First Class. Sadly, this is much to the detriment of the award winning reality of Alaska's other fine crews who routinely deliver superior service and definitely very much DO deserve the many accolades they've earned over the years. Meanwhile, most of us subjected to such occasional shortcomings just sit back and (sigh...) take itwhile the slacker FA continues on in their slovenly ways - casting a deleterious stain upon ALL Alaska FA's - especially amongst those passengers who haven't flown Alaska very often and so may not appreciate the greater volume of their fine work comparable to that of other airline's FAs. (Imagine thinking that flying aboard Alaska is about the same as flying on American or United ) What an eff-in' shame! Again, most of Alaska's FA's do a superb job, very much deserving of the accolades they garner. For any of them to not encourage slackers such as the First Class FA described above to get back to work reflects poorly on ALL of those so involved in the flight described above.

Mind you, I write from considerable experience flying aboard Alaska - 1,800+ flights and 1.9 million miles flown since 1976. I've often seen Alaska at its best and - although rarely - at its less than best. I appreciate that we like to focus on and commend the positives and - on those rare occasions when we do encounter poor service - prefer to dismiss it as an aberration unworthy of mention. That said, to me at least, the situation as described above is pretty egregious and should've been addressed by the other flight attendants on that flight - not as a formal write up per se but more a simple suggestion along the lines of "You know, you really oughta get back to work up there. I mean, it IS First Class after all...". My guess is that they probably just took it in stride and said nothing. Go along, get along. Ideally, I would hope those Flight Attendants would've responded with counseling their fellow employee to do the right thing. I've seen similar situations with a couple of young drivers where I work and our willingness to address these situations comes from pride in workmanship. We care.

Anyway, in today's laissez-faire culture I suspect my position is about as popular as a colonoscopy but to me many of these slacker FAs need to be written up and - if it happens more than once - dismissed in favor of work better suited to their laggardly ways - perhaps stuffing envelopes. They are a blight on the fine services rendered by the majority of Alaska's many fine FAs and other front line employees. Some might suggest one could write to Alaska Listens but from my experience that outfit is at most a joke - well trained in providing for the most part canned responses to both positive and negative reviews or descriptions of services rendered.

Sorry, I know we're all on the Prozac tinged "Alaska Airlines is Soooo Great!!!" thing here (And for the most part, I actually agree with that sentiment) but I'm just sayin'. And if you look at my past posts - well, it is me on one of my diatribes, after all... So there is that. Now where the hell did I put that bottle of Prozac? Or was it Woodford Reserve? Eh - whatever...

Last edited by Seat 2A; May 26, 2021 at 12:11 am
Old May 25, 2021, 11:01 pm

I hate to do this because I know it can effect other people, but I did send a scathing note to Alaska Listens about this. The FA definitely needs a "Tune Up" before she infects the AS culture. I did think about this, and you are right about this being the entire crew failing in their jobs.
Eastbay1K and anteater like this.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I hate to do this because I know it can effect other people, but I did send a scathing note to Alaska Listens about this. The FA definitely needs a "Tune Up" before she infects the AS culture. I did think about this, and you are right about this being the entire crew failing in their jobs.
I think it best to do what has been my general pattern over the years - compliment the good, criticize the bad. So, while I don't hesitate to complain about service bordering on atrocious or worse (ok to meh doesn't get a complaint), I also make an effort to compliment the really good crew. I do miss those certificates, as you could just express your thanks directly to the crew member. Too bad they didn't also give us red cards to hand out to a crew such as the one you just had.
Seat 2A and be_rettSEA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.