Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS First Class Catering - Comments, Criticisms, Suggestions and Service Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by leroix
That really struck a chord with me, I don’t know why I hadn’t thought about it during the reduced service for “my safety” over the last year — there is no way to eat those cookies without making a mess — not to mention the extra unnecessary catering and crew service interactions — hammers home that the continued reduced service is just cost cutting...
How to make the cookie less messy, so it can be eaten easily:
1. When food/drink order is taken, request that your cookie not be heated
2. Flight attendant removes one cookie from the pre-baked/pre-bagged set before re-heating
3. When distributing the cookies, yours is delivered at room temperature; sometimes before any of the others are delivered

The above has become my MO, when I am upgraded to F. I’d highly recommend this!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robt760
How to make the cookie less messy, so it can be eaten easily:
1. When food/drink order is taken, request that your cookie not be heated
2. Flight attendant removes one cookie from the pre-baked/pre-bagged set before re-heating
3. When distributing the cookies, yours is delivered at room temperature; sometimes before any of the others are delivered

The above has become my MO, when I am upgraded to F. I’d highly recommend this!
4. Save it in the closed bag and send it to PDXPremier
Old Mar 22, 2021, 4:55 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Bring back the butter pecan cookie please, ignore the haters
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
(Just think of Dusty Springfield singing this ....)

♫ You don't have to serve me Bordeaux, just give me the can,
Why you can't give me a mini, I don't understand,
Bai-leys, me, Bai-leys me ...♫
pmblinn likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I highly recommend trying the cookie not heated up. I was chatting with an FA a few weeks ago and she said she prefers it that way and asked if I wanted to try it. I did, and it was very tasty and didn't make a mess!
PDXPremier likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I highly recommend trying the cookie not heated up. I was chatting with an FA a few weeks ago and she said she prefers it that way and asked if I wanted to try it. I did, and it was very tasty and didn't make a mess!
Doing SAN-FLL tomorrow, I am definitely trying this. I have a huge red beard so trying to make sure chocolate doesn't nest itself in there is a massive challenge.
RAD_PDX and sassybritches like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:44 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I've flown AA first class a lot - and they offer FULL liquor service. Not sure why Alaska can't. ** granted economy gets NOTHING on AA. well, a ziplock bag with a small bottled water and I think goldfish or biscoff.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I've flown AA first class a lot - and they offer FULL liquor service. Not sure why Alaska can't. ** granted economy gets NOTHING on AA. well, a ziplock bag with a small bottled water and I think goldfish or biscoff.
Same with UA. As has been mentioned many times before, one can only surmise that it's a cost-based decision.
jjmadison and leroix like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; WN Rapid Rewards; DL SkyMiles; Mariott Bonvoy; Hilton Honors.
Early next month, I am flying in F LAX-DAL-LAX. Originally the aircraft was an E175 both directions. After the May schedule revise, I ended up rebooking the return leg to the morning DAL-LAX flight because of a connection I am making in LAX. The return flight to LAX was upgraded to a mainline A320. I was able to reserve a turkey sandwich on the OO leg, however I do not have an option to reserve any food on the return mainline leg. Is there a reason for that? Or just one of those commonly occurring computer glitches?
Old Mar 22, 2021, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by ACVFlyer
Early next month, I am flying in F LAX-DAL-LAX. Originally the aircraft was an E175 both directions. After the May schedule revise, I ended up rebooking the return leg to the morning DAL-LAX flight because of a connection I am making in LAX. The return flight to LAX was upgraded to a mainline A320. I was able to reserve a turkey sandwich on the OO leg, however I do not have an option to reserve any food on the return mainline leg. Is there a reason for that? Or just one of those commonly occurring computer glitches?
There is a reason and it's because AS doesn't have food catering at DAL. You'll get a shelf stable box, unfortunately, but it's actually not that bad. For the am flight it's usually yogurt w/dried fruit, etc. The A320 overnights there for the turn in the am.
ACVFlyer and navydevildoc like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I cannot wait for them to bring back the Crater Lake Hazelnut Espresso Vodka & Bailey's. Tastes just like a really good iced coffee, and I just ended up buying the bottles myself to make at home. It was also the time when the espresso martinis were becoming the drink of the day too.
beckoa, NoLaGent and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Originally Posted by HeyItsMK
I cannot wait for them to bring back the Crater Lake Hazelnut Espresso Vodka & Bailey's. Tastes just like a really good iced coffee, and I just ended up buying the bottles myself to make at home. It was also the time when the espresso martinis were becoming the drink of the day too.
Yes, agree -- the Crater Lake needs to come back pronto, and I also would not mind my usual gin and tonic!
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; WN Rapid Rewards; DL SkyMiles; Mariott Bonvoy; Hilton Honors.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
There is a reason and it's because AS doesn't have food catering at DAL. You'll get a shelf stable box, unfortunately, but it's actually not that bad. For the am flight it's usually yogurt w/dried fruit, etc. The A320 overnights there for the turn in the am.
When I purchased the ticket, I had planned on spending two nights in downtown Dallas. Since then, the Texas governor decided that Covid was over and masks are no longer needed. Not wanting to get harassed for wearing a mask, I 86'ed my visit to Dallas and bought a rt ticket on WN to MSY. Louisiana is taking Covid seriously. Both WN legs tie in with my AS flights with an 1.5 hour layover in DAL both directions.

Since muffuletta sandwiches from Central Grocery are shelf stable and known to travel well, I know what I will be eating while enjoying an IPA.
VibeGuy, beckoa, jrl767 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Same with UA. As has been mentioned many times before, one can only surmise that it's a cost-based decision.
You should enjoy the delights of pandemic F catering on DL sometime. Ziploc bag with goldfish crackers and a Kind bar, bottled water. Beer and wine, no minis.
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ACVFlyer
When I purchased the ticket, I had planned on spending two nights in downtown Dallas. Since then, the Texas governor decided that Covid was over and masks are no longer needed. Not wanting to get harassed for wearing a mask, I 86'ed my visit to Dallas and bought a rt ticket on WN to MSY. Louisiana is taking Covid seriously. Both WN legs tie in with my AS flights with an 1.5 hour layover in DAL both directions.

Since muffuletta sandwiches from Central Grocery are shelf stable and known to travel well, I know what I will be eating while enjoying an IPA.
Well played! I obviously approve, given the first 4 letters of my name here are representative of my old home.

(and you're right, my friends/family in New Orleans are doing well in that regard, altho the same can't be said for other parts of LA)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.