Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by DrewBr
Thanks so much for your input.

Yeah, choose one of three, lol

Will report back about glassware, hopefully w/pics.

And cookies too. Will report back.
AFAIK glassware in FC resumes 11/4.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Originally Posted by flymonthly
If you click on "Details" for the flight when making or looking at your reservation, it lists the aircraft type.

... you can add your AA FF #. For existing reservations, if there is no FF # at all in the reservation, I believe you can add it through the website. ...

All 10 A321s .... have 2ku.
If you want certainty in pricing, you can buy day passes (good for a year) ahead of time for $19 at https://www.gogoair.com/for-passengers/
Very helpful. Clicked on that detail link, but never scrolled down to see all the details.
Both flights are on A321neos.

That is our AA FF # case, No # now on PNR. Will try to add later on desktop.

Will look into internet options for flight. Thanks for link. Sounds great actually if onboard they want $30,
$19 for all day pass for flights using Gogo. Awesome.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS G75k, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It still qualifies. I just had one clear yesterday and another today.
What if the award ticket is booked using AA miles (but your status is on AS)?

Additionally, would free same day flight change still qualify as Gold 75k award ticket booked using AA miles?
Old Nov 3, 2021, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by icejan
What if the award ticket is booked using AA miles (but your status is on AS)?

Additionally, would free same day flight change still qualify as Gold 75k award ticket booked using AA miles?
When you make the reservation on AA, be sure to enter your AS #. The only hassle will be when the AA website wants to delete everything in the passenger details section of the reservation. If you have already made the reservation, you will need to call AA to get the FF# changed.

Way in the past I was able to use DL SkyPesos on the DL website to book a flight on AS. I then entered my AA FF# into the reservation on the AS website. At the time I had AA status that allowed be to select better seats. So this is possible, and allowable.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by DrewBr

WIFI / Internet;
How much is the fast WiFi / internet cost each way for these flights?
I tried to search - I got $16-19 for day pass?
Are the two aircraft flying this route upgraded to the new fast gogo 2ku sat internet?
Anyway to determine in advance?

Am I correct included is the ability to perform some social media and text amongst the pax aboard?
Or does that require paying for fast internet?
What is required for a pax to take pics aboard and send to friend on earth in real time?
What about live face time, w/apple iphones? Fast internet required?
I understand about the streaming IFE available for free. They will bring laptops.

Just to temper expectations in your party as you said some of these questions pertain to others within your traveling group, but when/if you buy a GoGo pass even if the onboard Wi-Fi was fast enough AS (thankfully) doesn’t allow Wi-Fi calls or video calls like FaceTime during the flight.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rtainment/faqs

Also texting (actual text, no pictures) is free/included/capable throughout the flight when connected to the AS Wi-Fi/Beyond Alaska IFE.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
Also texting (actual text, no pictures) is free/included/capable throughout the flight when connected to the AS Wi-Fi/Beyond Alaska IFE.
To be clear, SMS texting (e.g. Apple to Android) does NOT work since that relies on cell signal. Messaging apps like Facetime, WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc. DO work.
minhaoxue and Arsene Wenger like this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
To be clear, SMS texting (e.g. Apple to Android) does NOT work since that relies on cell signal. Messaging apps like Facetime, WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc. DO work.
That depends on your carrier and your phone. My SMS texts on my android phone with Verizon do work on wifi if the cell signal is not available.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K
On T-mobile I have to turn on "wifi-calling" and texting will work.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
On T-mobile I have to turn on "wifi-calling" and texting will work.
I have that enabled on my T-Mobile phone but texting never works. Similarly on an android GoogleFi phone texting never works.

😓
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Don't care where I go

I am sure this has been discussed at length so I didn't want to make a new thread. I have over half a million miles and feel like booking something to Europe. I really don't care where, or when. I am located in Anchorage but can position myself in SEA or LAX/SFO if necessary. The only thing that matters is the long-haul is in First or Business. To date I have flown four-class first on CX and BA, and C/J plenty of times on DE. My strategy will be to look at all the possible city pairs on partner airlines between SEA, LAX, and SFO and Europe. I probably could do this in excel in a few hours, rank by desirability, and then just start plugging them in the AS calendar. I'm assuming a lot of our partner airlines will not show up on the AS website though. I've used Expert Flyer in the past when I had specific destinations in mind but no longer subscribe. Am I on the right track?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:20 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I am sure this has been discussed at length so I didn't want to make a new thread. I have over half a million miles and feel like booking something to Europe. I really don't care where, or when...... Am I on the right track?
I think you're on the right track. I guess my couple of notes:
1) I'd personally look at Alaska's mileage chart and see which airline has a desirable stop over, in case that's a consideration, and then secondly look at which airline product seems best.
2) One place to check award availability on Oneworld airlines is using the AA website.
3) Europe generally has higher taxes and fees, and BA charges through the wazoo. Aer Lingus, Finnair, AA, Iberia could be the better options to Europe. Condor and Icelandair aren't great products, so maybe not what you're looking for.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by anteater
I have that enabled on my T-Mobile phone but texting never works. Similarly on an android GoogleFi phone texting never works.

😓
It is a bit spotty and inconsistent but on my west coast to Hawaii flights that's about the best the internet ever is (even with the 2ku enabled planes). It seems like I get the best results by toggling wifi calling on/off a few times.
anteater likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
I can confirm FaceTime works. I was flying from JFK-SFO and around Colorado, my phone lit up with my wife trying to call me. It scared the S out of me because I did not expect it.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I can confirm FaceTime works. I was flying from JFK-SFO and around Colorado, my phone lit up with my wife trying to call me. It scared the S out of me because I did not expect it.
Did the notification appear or did the call actually go through? Those are two different types of data.
minhaoxue likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
Originally Posted by anteater
Did the notification appear or did the call actually go through? Those are two different types of data.
Agree that FT calls won't connect (typically, at least). I accidentally accepted a FT instead of declining it when one came through in-flight once, and it briefly connected, showing us both our faces, then within less than a second immediately failed. I have, however, been able to stay connected to Webex and Zoom meetings before, though have only ever listened in on meetings, as I'd never want to be that guy chatting away on the plane while in the air (or on the ground..) or risk getting in trouble for breaking some wifi rule..
anteater likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.