Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Is there a Wiki etc for new MVPG75s to learn the extra ins and outs? Subtle brag :-)
Old Oct 18, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by tobikosan
Is there a Wiki etc for new MVPG75s to learn the extra ins and outs? Subtle brag :-)
Welcome to the club! Don't stop flying, 100K is in reach. This is honestly a pretty good page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

Did you have any specific questions?
tobikosan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 9:45 am

I had a question regarding an Alaska + Partner booking.

I have a flight IAH-SEA on AS followed by SEA-NRT-BKK on JAL (all on one mileage booking).

I know AS will not add infants in lap on the partner leg, but could I:
1. Add her to the JAL booking as an infant in lap by calling JAL and paying 10% of the fare
2. Add her to ONLY the AS part of the flight

My guess is the fact that all legs are on the same PNR will block me unless I am willing to shell out an additional 12.5 K miles for the one-way IAH-SEA to put it on a seperate PNR. Please let me know if anyone has done this.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Welcome to the club! Don't stop flying, 100K is in reach. This is honestly a pretty good page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

Did you have any specific questions?
Thank you! Oh yeah 100K is locked up, it's the segments that were going to be a problem but AS dropped so many non stops to LIH that now I'll hit the 24 organically. Cool part (though there are many) is that you break the 75K if flying AS, land and the miles are in your account etc. I've only not been upgraded once this past year SEA-OKC and just flew the new 737-9 Max HNL-LAX which I like better than what they had in and out of LIH itself. Thanks for the page and I'm just generally wondering if there is a thing like "First things to consider when you hit 75K", which I plan on being for a month or so until 100K :-)
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:03 pm

Silly question, but that's what this thread is about right? I've been mileage running recently and since I crossed 50k, I occasionally get offered the chocolates, but not all the time. Do you normally have to request the chocolates, is it just dependent on the FA, or if not offered they don't have any? Similarly for the premium drink, it says complimentary on main cabin, does that include saver fares in the back? For the mileage runs I've just been booking saver seats to save a few $, if it were business or leisure travel I'd book regular seats. Thanks!
aquanine likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by TheXMan
Silly question, but that's what this thread is about right? I've been mileage running recently and since I crossed 50k, I occasionally get offered the chocolates, but not all the time. Do you normally have to request the chocolates, is it just dependent on the FA, or if not offered they don't have any? Similarly for the premium drink, it says complimentary on main cabin, does that include saver fares in the back? For the mileage runs I've just been booking saver seats to save a few $, if it were business or leisure travel I'd book regular seats. Thanks!
The FA should look at their phone/handheld/seat map to see where their elites are as it doesn't matter where you're at within the main cabin/what your fare type is your benefits still apply*, but from my experience its hit or miss if you're in the back/on a saver fare and they check as they often assume everyone is bunched in the "elite" area in or behind PE. When that happens I either ask nicely if I may also have a chocolate or if I order a "premium" drink they'll grab their handheld/phone to process the payment, but I apologize like I misunderstood the rules to save face for them and discreetly say I though it was a benefit of being a gold (Under either scenario they then check and typically apologize back and sometimes even give me a double drink/chocolate to make up for it). You dont need to do all this though, just simply ask for your benefit, as I just go out of my way to save face since the last thing I want to do is come off as a DYKWIAer over a chocolate bar or a can of wine lol.

*The benefit states you'll receive a chocolate or a premium drink in main cabin, but most will thankfully give you both.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Arsene Wenger
as I just go out of my way to save face since the last thing I want to do is come off as a DYKWIAer over a chocolate bar or a can of wine lol
thank you! This is exactly what I was afraid of, so I'll try to take your approach as well.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I've been flying 3-4 segments per month throughout the year as a MVPG+ and the chocolate offering is about one out of three flights. My FC upgrade % has been about 90% though so I'm getting plenty of food/drinks so I never ask.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,

Quick question,

Will AS ever go back to flying OAK/SFO- KOA direct again?

Thanks for any replies
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by mtofell
I've been flying 3-4 segments per month throughout the year as a MVPG+ and the chocolate offering is about one out of three flights. My FC upgrade % has been about 90% though so I'm getting plenty of food/drinks so I never ask.
I was told by a FA that the chocolates are supposed to be just for MVPG+ passengers sitting in Premium, not Exit Row seating, or First Class. I'm sure they'd give you a chocolate in F if you asked, and I even got one in an Exit Row, but the FA said they don't carry that many on board.

Over the past 6 months I've only received the chocolate when I'm sitting in Premium, and even then it was about 50% of the time. It is a pity, I think some smart VP in Loyalty came up with the idea and then failed to execute consistently on it. A welcome/recognition and premium chocolate bar goes a long way towards customer delight.
mtofell likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:40 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by joachimm
I was told by a FA that the chocolates are supposed to be just for MVPG+ passengers sitting in Premium, not Exit Row seating, or First Class. I'm sure they'd give you a chocolate in F if you asked, and I even got one in an Exit Row, but the FA said they don't carry that many on board.

Over the past 6 months I've only received the chocolate when I'm sitting in Premium, and even then it was about 50% of the time. It is a pity, I think some smart VP in Loyalty came up with the idea and then failed to execute consistently on it. A welcome/recognition and premium chocolate bar goes a long way towards customer delight.
IIRC, When the chocolate bar first came around years ago, it was basically a way to offer a benefit to mvpg members who didnt drink (and thus couldnt take advantage of the free drink benefit). This was long before premium class was even a thing.

You should still be receiving a chocolate bar in the back of Y - and I do every time Im in the exit row.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sturges
IIRC, When the chocolate bar first came around years ago, it was basically a way to offer a benefit to mvpg members who didnt drink (and thus couldnt take advantage of the free drink benefit). This was long before premium class was even a thing.

You should still be receiving a chocolate bar in the back of Y - and I do every time Im in the exit row.
Correct! The chocolate bar is for MVPG+ Elites traveling in the Main cabin (Premium, Economy & Saver) in lieu of a complimentary premium drink. (alcohol) It was one or the other & offered something to non-drinkers.

When Premium was introduced, a Premium drink was included in the "package." MVPG+ Elites in Premium are (should be) offered the chocolate bar. Since a premium drink is already included, the chocolate bar isn't in lieu of but in addition to. While many have received them in F it was never the intent nor policy to offer them.

James
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:34 pm

I did SDC and checked in to the new flight.
Its 2 segments (SAN-SEA-JFK).
I only see the waitlist for the 1st segment. I don't see the waitlist for the 2nd segment on the app.
Has this happened to anyone before?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
I did SDC and checked in to the new flight.
Its 2 segments (SAN-SEA-JFK).
I only see the waitlist for the 1st segment. I don't see the waitlist for the 2nd segment on the app.
Has this happened to anyone before?
This happens to everyone. Your second segment waitlist will only show 24 hours before that flight.
aquanine likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I have never had the pleasure of eating that free chocolate. It goes straight into my wife’s hands, whether she is flying with me or not. An unpublished benefit of being married to me. But on the plus side, I have pretty much always gotten it without having to ask for it.
anteater, aquanine and FlyerDigits like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.