Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Try calling reservations - you may be able to be re-accommodated on the DCA flight due to the cancellation. Typically U space would be required for GGU use, so unlikely to transfer over, but a sympathetic agent/supervisor might be willing to make an exception due to the cancellation if you ask politely. Otherwise, you'll be in Y (or upgraded at window), and the GGUs can be reissued to the MVPG's or 75K's account by a call/email to customer care for future use (they will have 12/31/22 expiration).
Thanks, seems like it's hard to win with these things. Book far in advance and you can find U space to upgrade, but booking far in advance means your flight is more likely to be cancelled by the airline and you'll lose the upgrade. Oh well...

Update: Called and the agent confirmed my booking (no longer available under My Trips on the website) was auto-rebooked IAD-LAX-SFO in Y because there was no U space on the rebooked flights. So my choice is to keep the IAD-LAX-SFO in Y, because there is no U space on those flights, change to DCA-SFO also in Y (no U space there either), or cancel for a refund. GGUs will go back to the 75K's account regardless. But if I cancel for a refund I lose the companion certificate because it is now expired. So basically a loss no matter what. Does this seem right?

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; Oct 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm
Old Oct 12, 2021, 2:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
...GGUs can be reissued to the MVPG's or 75K's account by a call/email to customer care for future use (they will have 12/31/22 expiration).
I canceled a r/t flight last week on which two GGU's had been used. The CSR told me she was "submitting the paperwork" to have the GGU's returned to me. They're not in my account yet. How long should I wait before calling again?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I canceled a r/t flight last week on which two GGU's had been used. The CSR told me she was "submitting the paperwork" to have the GGU's returned to me. They're not in my account yet. How long should I wait before calling again?
Call (or text and ask for) customer care instead of reservations. Usually they've been able to handle and have them back in my account in a few minutes.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Call (or text and ask for) customer care instead of reservations. Usually they've been able to handle and have them back in my account in a few minutes.
So do I call the MVPG line and ask to be transferred to Customer Care? Or whom do I text? (It used to be the sort of thing their Twitter team could take care of)
Old Oct 12, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
So do I call the MVPG line and ask to be transferred to Customer Care?
Yes, that’s what I did just today (about something else).
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
So do I call the MVPG line and ask to be transferred to Customer Care? Or whom do I text? (It used to be the sort of thing their Twitter team could take care of)
Yep - call and share what you need/ask for customer care transfer. Or you can text the Alaska 82008 and say you'd like to request guest upgrades reissued and need to be transferred to customer care, and they should be able to help you out.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
miles refundable?

I booked award travel from boi-ord-atl abt 2 months ago for travel on 10/23. I used AS miles. First leg is on AS and 2nd leg is on AA. If I cancel this rez in the next few days will all the miles be returned with no penalties?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by philemer
I booked award travel from boi-ord-atl abt 2 months ago for travel on 10/23. I used AS miles. First leg is on AS and 2nd leg is on AA. If I cancel this rez in the next few days will all the miles be returned with no penalties?
Yes. You could even cancel with no penalties if all legs were operated by AA.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Yes. You could even cancel with no penalties if all legs were operated by AA.
Thx for the confirmation.

AA flts, via DFW, are now only 17.5K in F for the o/w trip.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Thx for the confirmation.

AA flts, via DFW, are now only 17.5K in F for the o/w trip.
Miles will go back into your account (should be instant if your itinerary was booked more than 24 hours ago) & the fees & taxes will be refunded to the original form of payment. The $12.50 Partner booking fee is non-refundable (unless cancelled within 24 hours) so your refund won't match your original charges.

James
philemer likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Miles will go back into your account (should be instant if your itinerary was booked more than 24 hours ago) & the fees & taxes will be refunded to the original form of payment. The $12.50 Partner booking fee is non-refundable (unless cancelled within 24 hours) so your refund won't match your original charges.

James

Just a DP: It's not instant. Canceled 2 hrs ago and miles not yet returned. I'm in no hurry just wanted to share my experience. Flights were booked >2 months ago.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Just a DP: It's not instant. Canceled 2 hrs ago and miles not yet returned. I'm in no hurry just wanted to share my experience. Flights were booked >2 months ago.
Scroll back in your activity to where the points were originally deducted. For some odd reason, the redeposit posts at the same point in your activity that the original deduction was, no matter how long ago you booked, usually right above it. I don’t love the system; I would prefer it to be chronological.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finkface
Scroll back in your activity to where the points were originally deducted. For some odd reason, the redeposit posts at the same point in your activity that the original deduction was, no matter how long ago you booked, usually right above it. I don’t love the system; I would prefer it to be chronological.
Just did. There is nothing posted near the date of the original purchase, which was 5/15/21. This was an AS/AA itinerary, could that be the issue?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Just did. There is nothing posted near the date of the original purchase, which was 5/15/21. This was an AS/AA itinerary, could that be the issue?
AS issued the ticket, operating carrier doesn't matter. It usually is instant. I have canceled many awards since I became a travel agent with a clientele of 1 back in February 2020. No issues. 🙂

James
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AS issued the ticket, operating carrier doesn't matter. It usually is instant. I have canceled many awards since I became a travel agent with a clientele of 1 back in February 2020. No issues. 🙂

James
I just got off the phone with AS and the rep said it could take up to 7 days. I asked if she could contact MP desk and see if there was a problem. She came back on in a couple minutes and said the rez did show as canceled and the miles were now in my account. Just a software glitch somewhere I'm assuming. The miles are now in my acct.
Flying for Fun and aquanine like this.

Last edited by philemer; Oct 16, 2021 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.