Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I have never had the pleasure of eating that free chocolate. It goes straight into my wife’s hands, whether she is flying with me or not. An unpublished benefit of being married to me. But on the plus side, I have pretty much always gotten it without having to ask for it.

lol
personally I seem to receive my chocolate on most flights but there are a few exceptions. I have been on maybe 10 flights operated by SkyWest as a gold and only one of them did I get a chocolate. I think it’s about 50-50 for me on Horizon, sometimes the flights are so short.
on mainline Alaska aircraft, on overnight flights I tend to not receive the chocolate as they don’t want to wake me up if I am asleep. for most day flights that are long enough it seems like the crew tend to hand out chocolates. I think the last exception would be a few times if you book a saver fare or sitting way back in economy, they also forget to give you the chocolate. They said “that most of the golds are way higher up in the cabin” when I asked why did I receive it.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by joachimm
I was told by a FA that the chocolates are supposed to be just for MVPG+ passengers sitting in Premium, not Exit Row seating, or First Class. I'm sure they'd give you a chocolate in F if you asked, and I even got one in an Exit Row, but the FA said they don't carry that many on board.

Over the past 6 months I've only received the chocolate when I'm sitting in Premium, and even then it was about 50% of the time. It is a pity, I think some smart VP in Loyalty came up with the idea and then failed to execute consistently on it. A welcome/recognition and premium chocolate bar goes a long way towards customer delight.
so true, more and more of my flights they seem to not be giving them. Especially if you’re all the way back. Once I went and asked why I didn’t get it and they said that most MVP gold‘s were way higher up in the cabin and so they basically forgot about me. The only reason I moved the back of the cabin was so I could have a whole row to myself which was lovely.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Rain Gonen
so true, more and more of my flights they seem to not be giving them. Especially if you’re all the way back. Once I went and asked why I didn’t get it and they said that most MVP gold‘s were way higher up in the cabin and so they basically forgot about me. The only reason I moved the back of the cabin was so I could have a whole row to myself which was lovely.
In my experience (though not frequent or recent), when I'm farther in the back, I get more attention from FAs as a Gold. They remember seeing a lone Gold on their device somewhere near the back, thank me for my business more so than when I'm in PC or FC, give me the chocolate, and even have comped more drinks (and once or twice food) than what my status should provide. Maybe I just got lucky with an FA feeling bad for a Gold in row 27 (even though I was there by my own fault on an SDC)?
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
In my experience (though not frequent or recent), when I'm farther in the back, I get more attention from FAs as a Gold. They remember seeing a lone Gold on their device somewhere near the back, thank me for my business more so than when I'm in PC or FC, give me the chocolate, and even have comped more drinks (and once or twice food) than what my status should provide. Maybe I just got lucky with an FA feeling bad for a Gold in row 27 (even though I was there by my own fault on an SDC)?
that’s never happened to me. When I sit in the back I get completely forgotten about, I’m just any other normal passenger
at the same time as a 16-year-old MVP gold I have many times gotten free food
I just ask a flight attendant for a box after chatting with them for a while, normally they just give it to me and don’t care as I don’t think the boxes are counted. sometimes they are a tiny bit more hesitant. But normally I can persuade them because I have a very good claim. if a kid is an MVP, they get unaccompanied minor service for free, now because I am 16 I choose not to use it as I travel alone a lot, but unaccompanied minor service they would give me a free box. so if a flight attendant is being more hesitant, I just explain them that and then I almost always got a box. I normally get The fruit and cheese platter or the kids box (which sadly for me recently has only been on my transcon routes)

also, what do you mean by SDC?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
It does seem to be more miss than hit lately & I do agree OO FAs aren't consistent on giving them out or what they are for that matter. On a recent OO flight in row 6, I asked about the chocolate bar and the got a "deer in headlights" stare of confusion. She didn't know but said she would check; that was the last I heard from her.

On the other end of the scale, I was on the A321 in F and "broke" policy to use the lavatory in the back. I have only been in F on the A321 and wanted to check out the back of the plane. I had a nice conversation with the FAs in the back galley. One opened up a container & handed me two. 🙂

James
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by joachimm
I was told by a FA that the chocolates are supposed to be just for MVPG+ passengers sitting in Premium, not Exit Row seating, or First Class.
I (my wife) got one on my last Q400 flight shortly after breaking the MVPG barrier. Don’t think they have Premium Class on Q400s (if all seats are “wonderful”, everyone is in Premium), so don’t think the rule can’t be true otherwise why would they cater them on Q400s?
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It does seem to be more miss than hit lately & I do agree OO FAs aren't consistent on giving them out or what they are for that matter. On a recent OO flight in row 6, I asked about the chocolate bar and the got a "deer in headlights" stare of confusion. She didn't know but said she would check; that was the last I heard from her.

On the other end of the scale, I was on the A321 in F and "broke" policy to use the lavatory in the back. I have only been in F on the A321 and wanted to check out the back of the plane. I had a nice conversation with the FAs in the back galley. One opened up a container & handed me two. 🙂

James
yes normally if I just ask for the chocolates they always give me, if they know what your talking about (talking about you skywest flight attendants)
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I (my wife) got one on my last Q400 flight shortly after breaking the MVPG barrier. Don’t think they have Premium Class on Q400s (if all seats are “wonderful”, everyone is in Premium), so don’t think the rule can’t be true otherwise why would they cater them on Q400s?
I have received many on Q400 flights. They are stored in the top right bin.... 😉

I was also on one Mainline where they were counting how many chocolate bars they had before the door closed. There were 25 MVPG+ in Main; they had 23.

James
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:51 am

havent had to go on a q400 in years
gotten quite lucky, e175 on all my short routes
but you are definitely correct
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have received many on Q400 flights. They are stored in the top right bin.... 😉

I was also on one Mainline where they were counting how many chocolate bars they had before the door closed. There were 25 MVPG+ in Main; they had 23.

James
lolololol
love that they were counting the chocolates
omg, how many mvps (all levels including mvp) do you think were on your flights?

only once was i on a flight with more than 10 elites, it was in Alaska and had like 20-30 ish elites, couldn’t believe that the upgrade list did not fit on the TV screen displaying the flights it was on 2 pages, lol
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:42 am
Original Poster

lolololol
love that they were counting the chocolates
omg, how many mvps (all levels including mvp) do you think were on your flights?

only once was i on a flight with more than 10 elites, it was in Alaska and had like 20-30 ish elites, couldn’t believe that the upgrade list did not fit on the TV screen displaying the flights it was on 2 pages, lol
There were definitely 25 MVPG+ but unknown how many MVP there were. Pre-Covid, I was on one flight out of SEA with 52 on the upgrade list. I cleared before OLCI & didn't show so probably a few more in total.

James
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
that’s never happened to me. When I sit in the back I get completely forgotten about, I’m just any other normal passenger
at the same time as a 16-year-old MVP gold I have many times gotten free food
I just ask a flight attendant for a box after chatting with them for a while, normally they just give it to me and don’t care as I don’t think the boxes are counted. sometimes they are a tiny bit more hesitant. But normally I can persuade them because I have a very good claim. if a kid is an MVP, they get unaccompanied minor service for free, now because I am 16 I choose not to use it as I travel alone a lot, but unaccompanied minor service they would give me a free box. so if a flight attendant is being more hesitant, I just explain them that and then I almost always got a box. I normally get The fruit and cheese platter or the kids box (which sadly for me recently has only been on my transcon routes)

also, what do you mean by SDC?
Nice to be gold at 16 - you're well on your way to million miler! I don't think I'd even flown yet by then.. I can see the argument that the snack boxes are also same price roughly as an alcoholic beverage which you've still got a few years before you can enjoy. Plus, just being friendly and chatting w/ FAs has given me free food before, as well, so don't think they're counted too closely.

SDC = Same Day Confirmed flight changes, complimentary for Gold and above.
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
With the current 50% bonus promo, is the multiplier still 2.63? or did it get reduced? I remember seeing something on here where the F COS bonus was being reduced to 50% from 75%, but I can't find anything on the AS site showing that.

TIA!
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangryDad
With the current 50% bonus promo, is the multiplier still 2.63? or did it get reduced? I remember seeing something on here where the F COS bonus was being reduced to 50% from 75%, but I can't find anything on the AS site showing that.

TIA!
Discount F fares, booking class D & I now earn a 50% COS bonus, C earns 75% & J earns 100%. For D & I fare, the multiplier is 2.25, C class 2.63 & for J 3.0

James
mildfrequence and HangryDad like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: House MD, How I Met Your Mother...
Hello, Alaska Airlines members:

I will be flying to SYD multiple times a year for at least the next few years, probably on Qantas. I'm based in YVR. I'm looking to get MVP so that I can take advantage of some of the benefits when I am closer to home. AS has a status challenge program that I plan on doing, requires 20k miles flown on AS metal.

Any suggestions on how to achieve this in a reasonable timeframe? I'm happy to reposition to SEA or along the seaboard. Currently 50K with AC, will be 75K by early next year. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.