Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by joachimm
Do you mean Elite or Premium? What is your status? IIRC Gold/75K can only select Premium seating when upgrade window opens for 2 or fewer passengers. MVP gets 1 only. If you are 75K you need to split the reservation to get your 2 Premium seats.

If you are talking about MVP/Oneworld Elite seating in the middle of the plane, I'm not sure if that has the same limits, I don't think it does though. Definitely call support line.
I'm NOT referring to Premium which can be selected immediately for an upfare.. Specifically there are Elite seats (plenty) available but it's not an option for selection even as a OWE with AA.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm NOT referring to Premium which can be selected immediately for an upfare.. Specifically there are Elite seats (plenty) available but it's not an option for selection even as a OWE with AA.
If you are AA Executive Platinum, you can select any seat in Main including Premium on any fare except Saver X but only after purchasing your ticket. AS 75Ks can select them during to booking process. When you purchase your ticket you should get an email shortly afterwards saying you have been upgraded to Premium. Once ticketed, return to the itinerary and choose your seat.

James
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you are AA Executive Platinum, you can select any seat in Main including Premium on any fare except Saver X but only after purchasing your ticket. AS 75Ks can select them during to booking process. When you purchase your ticket you should get an email shortly afterwards saying you have been upgraded to Premium. Once ticketed, return to the itinerary and choose your seat.

James
Appreciate the explanation.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Occasionally I see AA operated flights on the Alaska web site that are cheaper than the same flights on the AA web site. Is this normal?
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:48 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by thekaica
Occasionally I see AA operated flights on the Alaska web site that are cheaper than the same flights on the AA web site. Is this normal?
AA flights sold on the Alaska site are usually codeshares. This allows them to market it and set their own prices. Sometimes these are higher, sometimes lower.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Hi guys, could you please help me understand where the bonus miles are coming from? I took IAH - MIA flight (V fare) and MIA - IAH flight (Q fare) this past week. Both flights were booked by my hospital's third-party agency, and I had both flights credit miles towards my AS account.

Based on the AS website, V and Q fares don't earn a bonus. What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Karo
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hyedmd
Hi guys, could you please help me understand where the bonus miles are coming from? I took IAH - MIA flight (V fare) and MIA - IAH flight (Q fare) this past week. Both flights were booked by my hospital's third-party agency, and I had both flights credit miles towards my AS account.

Based on the AS website, V and Q fares don't earn a bonus. What am I missing here?

Thank you.

Karo
AA flights marketed by AA earn in AS Mileage Plan according to the AA Partner chart, see here. Fare class Q earn 25% of Miles flown as your base while V class earns 75% of miles flown as base.

Looking at your activity, I can see that the flight distance is 964 miles. 25% is 241, 75% is 723.

Now for the fune stuff! 😀 All AA flights earn a minimum of 500 EQM so your 241 base was supplemented by 259 to 500. The 259 is included in the bonus but doesn't comprise the total bonus.

Now for the really fun stuff!! 😃 As a 75K Elite (I know you are because the bonus tells me so) you earn a 125% RDM Elite bonus.

On your first flight, you earned the minimum 500 EQM/RDM and 625 (125% × 500) RDM for your Elite status. The miles represents the base miles as a percentage of the miles flown based on fare class while the bonus includes the 259 RDM for the supplement to 500 plus 625 Elite bonus or 884.

On the second flight, the EQM on the percentage of miles flown is over 500 so that forms your base. The bonus includes your Elite bonus 125% × 723 = 904.

It can be a bit confusing since AS doesn't break out the EQM or any COS or other bonuses such as the 100% RDM bonus on BA Business fares. It is a lump sum. Additionally, for the purposes of total RDM earned on a flight, EQM is also RDM.

While the first segment shows 241 miles, the seperate EQM counter would have increased by 500.

James
Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
AA flights marketed by AA earn in AS Mileage Plan according to the AA Partner chart, see here. Fare class Q earn 25% of Miles flown as your base while V class earns 75% of miles flown as base.

Looking at your activity, I can see that the flight distance is 964 miles. 25% is 241, 75% is 723.

Now for the fune stuff! 😀 All AA flights earn a minimum of 500 EQM so your 241 base was supplemented by 259 to 500. The 259 is included in the bonus but doesn't comprise the total bonus.

Now for the really fun stuff!! 😃 As a 75K Elite (I know you are because the bonus tells me so) you earn a 125% RDM Elite bonus.

On your first flight, you earned the minimum 500 EQM/RDM and 625 (125% × 500) RDM for your Elite status. The miles represents the base miles as a percentage of the miles flown based on fare class while the bonus includes the 259 RDM for the supplement to 500 plus 625 Elite bonus or 884.

On the second flight, the EQM on the percentage of miles flown is over 500 so that forms your base. The bonus includes your Elite bonus 125% × 723 = 904.

It can be a bit confusing since AS doesn't break out the EQM or any COS or other bonuses such as the 100% RDM bonus on BA Business fares. It is a lump sum. Additionally, for the purposes of total RDM earned on a flight, EQM is also RDM.

While the first segment shows 241 miles, the seperate EQM counter would have increased by 500.

James
Amazing, thanks, James! It's a bit complicated but you made it very clear.

I used to book only AS flights, as cheaper AA flights typically were N or Q fares, which (I thought) didn't earn that many miles. But after your response, I may actually reconsider this approach and fly AA a bit more than I used to.

Great to have you back on the forum!

Karo
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
bump

Originally Posted by flyinryan
Howdy all - I did a search but only found some older posts regarding this, none of which really answered it:
I have wallet funds expiring Dec 31 2021 - is it possible to buy a refundable ticket to (anywhere) using the wallet funds, then cancel at some point and refund to wallet?
Many thanks in advance
Shameless and self serving bump here, your experiences are much appreciated
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:09 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyinryan
Shameless and self serving bump here, your experiences are much appreciated
My first thought would be no, AS has figured out this loophole but I've never encountered it. Your best bet would be to call and ask.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Let me re-frame the question:
At some point in the future, my family and I will be purchasing SJC-KOA tickets. (Ideally we would use companion fare certs for those, but that's another thread.)

Would it be wise to put the expiring wallet $ toward maybe a refundable SJC-KOA departing on some future date, then just change it when we know the exact travel dates?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 9:43 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
Question: I sent an email/letter to customer care 10 days ago requesting car rental reimbursements, etc. No response. Is that "normal" or should I send my request via another option?

TIA
Old Nov 12, 2021, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

"Non-standard" requests often take more time to evaluate. Give them at least two weeks.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
for One World Emerald:

1. Are any upgrades expected or possible on American Airlines international award travel when I am booking international award travel on the American Airlines website using AA miles?

2. When booking international award travel via the Alaska Website with seats on British Airways, are any seat upgrades expected?

I am shopping for award travel from the US to and from Great Britain. I am looking at Premium Economy and Business class options. I have One World Emerald earned on Alaska Airlines.

Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Any word on when Iberia flights will be bookable with AS miles? Alaska's website still says "later in 2021" but it's getting pretty late!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.