Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
A big "U"?

Question that I know someone on here will know the answer to you, I am just curious. I don't usually check bags, but I did today and noticed both my outbound and return had a big U on the bag tag and on the bag receipt. It seemed like it was very important for something, I'm just curious what? I wasn't booked in U class, so that's not a good explanation. It just seemed oddly prominent.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K / DL PM / Bonvoy Platinum / HHonors Gold /mLife Gold / WOH Explorist
Is there a definitive thread for booking/finding JAL inventory for purchase with AS miles?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful as always.

Last edited by DrewBr; Nov 7, 2021 at 6:48 pm
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bjayjay81
Is there a definitive thread for booking/finding JAL inventory for purchase with AS miles?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...020-later.html
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Howdy all - I did a search but only found some older posts regarding this, none of which really answered it:
I have wallet funds expiring Dec 31 2021 - is it possible to buy a refundable ticket to (anywhere) using the wallet funds, then cancel at some point and refund to wallet?
Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:24 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Please clarify/confirm cancellation policy for AS award tickets?

Been out of the loop on this, but was unable to find a crystal-clear answer on Alaska's website, and I bet many folks here know the answer...

If I book an award trip (on AS metal, booked with AS miles), and then at some point between booking and the day-of-travel, I want to cancel the trip and have the miles re-deposited to my mileage plan account...
  1. Is there any fee or other penalty for cancellation?
  2. If no, what's the cut-off time for such cancellations to get miles and fees fully refunded?
  3. Any "gotchas" to know about (to ensure you get all your miles back, all fees paid, and don't get dinged)?
I'm specifically asking about canceling an award flight -- not "changing" one (one could argue that a cancellation is a change, but I do not expect airline policies to always follow logic and there's no point arguing with them).

FWIW, yes, I have scoured Alaska's website, and have found many references to their policies for cancellations and changes, but most references are to paid tickets, with language that references changes (not cancellations) and there are lots of apparent references to "fares" (do award flights have "fares" -- in miles -- or are the terms mutually exclusive?), and references to getting flight credits rather than "refunds". Nowhere do I see a clear policy that specifically states that award flights are fully "refundable" (that is, if you cancel the award flight, getting your miles back, as well as the fees paid, without being whacked with some fee).

I've seen various blogs stating unequivocally that there are no fees to cancel an AS award, you get back all your miles and fees paid, but bloggers...I trust them about as far as I can spit.

Alaska's website proudly trumpets that you have 24 full hours to cancel an award flight and get all miles and fees refunded. That's not particularly reassuring.

Clarity, please? Thank you.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
If I book an award trip (on AS metal, booked with AS miles), and then at some point between booking and the day-of-travel, I want to cancel the trip and have the miles re-deposited to my mileage plan account...
  1. Is there any fee or other penalty for cancellation?
  2. If no, what's the cut-off time for such cancellations to get miles and fees fully refunded?
  3. Any "gotchas" to know about (to ensure you get all your miles back, all fees paid, and don't get dinged)?
1. No fee or other penalty. You would lose the $12.50 per direction partner award fee, but that isn't applicable in your case.
2. Must cancel before departure.
3. Fees, including any seat fees, are refunded to the original form of payment (credit card / wallet). Refunds to credit card may take a few days, mileage refund is usually instantaneous.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Great -- thank you.

Maybe they ought to remove that proud boast where they tell you that you have a whole 24 hours to cancel with no penalty...oh well, nobody's perfect.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 11:08 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Great -- thank you.

Maybe they ought to remove that proud boast where they tell you that you have a whole 24 hours to cancel with no penalty...oh well, nobody's perfect.
I think that's a legal requirement. By US law they're required to allow you to cancel within 24 hours without penalty. Not sure if they still do it, but in the past AA would allow you to hold a reservation for 24 hours before purchasing in lieu of the 24 hour refund window. I guess the legal dept hasn't given them permission to remove the phrase.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I think that's a legal requirement. By US law they're required to allow you to cancel within 24 hours without penalty. Not sure if they still do it, but in the past AA would allow you to hold a reservation for 24 hours before purchasing in lieu of the 24 hour refund window. I guess the legal dept hasn't given them permission to remove the phrase.
Still possible, outside of 7 days from travel, basically gives you 2 days to cancel.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:14 pm
formerly DreAAmliner

Programs: AA EXP
Cross-posting not permitted per FT Rule 6. Please follow discussion in the AA forum.

dayone, AS Moderator

Last edited by dayone; Nov 9, 2021 at 3:09 pm Reason: Cross-posted.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
In regards 'Saver' fares, are they O and G?

Would I need to purchase a Q fare or higher to get preferential seating, upgrades etc?

Edit: It appears X is saver. I'm being restricted from choosing elite seats on a mixed O and G fare but it's of a unknown reason.

Last edited by dsquared37; Nov 10, 2021 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 10, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by dsquared37
In regards 'Saver' fares, are they O and G?

Would I need to purchase a Q fare or higher to get preferential seating, upgrades etc?
Saver fares are X. You will be in the back and won’t be eligible for upgrades.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Saver fares are X. You will be in the back and won’t be eligible for upgrades.
Thanks. Didn't see your response until after I edited my post.

Cheers
Old Nov 10, 2021, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I'm being restricted from choosing elite seats on a mixed O and G fare but it's of a unknown reason.
Do you mean Elite or Premium? What is your status? IIRC Gold/75K can only select Premium seating when upgrade window opens for 2 or fewer passengers. MVP gets 1 only. If you are 75K you need to split the reservation to get your 2 Premium seats.

If you are talking about MVP/Oneworld Elite seating in the middle of the plane, I'm not sure if that has the same limits, I don't think it does though. Definitely call support line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.