Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Any word on when Iberia flights will be bookable with AS miles? Alaska's website still says "later in 2021" but it's getting pretty late!
When I talked to AS about this, if I recall correctly they were aiming for near the end of Q4 to have redemption on OW partners all finished.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
for One World Emerald:

1. Are any upgrades expected or possible on American Airlines international award travel when I am booking international award travel on the American Airlines website using AA miles?
Award travel on AA is generally not upgradable. Its possible theyll offer you a paid upgrade day of checkin. AA EXP gets upgrade listed on award travel but that doesnt confer to Emeralds.

2. When booking international award travel via the Alaska Website with seats on British Airways, are any seat upgrades expected?
Seat upgrades or class upgrades?
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
for One World Emerald:
...2. When booking international award travel via the Alaska Website with seats on British Airways, are any seat upgrades expected? ...
Originally Posted by thatmikereed

Seat upgrades or class upgrades?
Thank you for your reply.

One World Perks as listed on the One World Website may allow "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating" in addition to the other perks of One World status.

It appears that any ticket purchased using miles on BA via AlaskaAirline (or AA) is: what I see offered is what I will get for those miles and dollars.

PS: the link for anyone's else's convenience: https://www.oneworld.com/travel-bene...world-priority
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I am MVPG75 and have never done a SDC. I have an LAX-LAS 8pm flight and I'd like to fly one of the earlier ones.. Maybe the 3pm. Can someone please walk me through what I need to do? Can I do online or over the phone or do I have to get to airport? The flights seem pretty open FYI. Thx
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan
I am MVPG75 and have never done a SDC. I have an LAX-LAS 8pm flight and I'd like to fly one of the earlier ones.. Maybe the 3pm. Can someone please walk me through what I need to do? Can I do online or over the phone or do I have to get to airport? The flights seem pretty open FYI. Thx
When your check-in window opens, begin the check-in process and youll be presented with the option to change to an earlier or later flight. Choose the desired earlier flight and proceed.
tobikosan and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tobikosan
During online check in, you will be given an option to change to an earlier or later flight. Select earlier. Options available will be presented & you can choose the one you want.

Keep in mind though that the earlier flights will already be open for online check-in so seating options may be limited. You can SDC more than once too.

James
Old Nov 16, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Quick question:
How long after buying miles does it usually take for the miles to show up in your account?
I have done a few google searches, as well as a search in this forum, and still have no idea how long it generally takes to show up. I'm trying to gauge the time lag for a future award purchase. TIA.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Quick question:
How long after buying miles does it usually take for the miles to show up in your account?
I have done a few google searches, as well as a search in this forum, and still have no idea how long it generally takes to show up. I'm trying to gauge the time lag for a future award purchase. TIA.
They are instant.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
During online check in, you will be given an option to change to an earlier or later flight. Select earlier. Options available will be presented & you can choose the one you want.

Keep in mind though that the earlier flights will already be open for online check-in so seating options may be limited. You can SDC more than once too.

James
And don't actually finish the check-in at that time. Wait for 20-30 minutes and then check-in to help ensure you make it onto the upgrade list.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by flymonthly
And don't actually finish the check-in at that time. Wait for 20-30 minutes and then check-in to help ensure you make it onto the upgrade list.
Of the the times I have exercised a SDC, I have never experienced the waitlist issue. I immediately finish the checkin process.

YMMV.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I vaguely recall reading about this from before, but asking again because I can't find the answer easily:

I have a few hundred in AS wallet credit expiring at the end of December. Can I renew or extend the expiration date somehow? Dummy booking and cancel after a few hours?
Old Nov 16, 2021, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by goblazers
They are instant.
Well that isn't what happened in my acct. I guess I will have to call someone tomorrow. I got the purchase receipt email, so there is that. Thanks for the reply.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 8:54 am

I have never flown Alaska but have managed to accrue enough points to book a couple of flights. I would actually book the flights for friends. I am concerned that I would need to cancel the flights later. It looks like:
- Award flights are offered only in "Main" and "First Class", so there seems to be no "Saver Fare" involved
- I didn't go through the process but assume I can book an award for a different person using my points/account
- I thus assume that if the ticket is later cancelled I would get a refund of points to my account

Do these assumptions jive with reality? The cancellation process online presumes the trip shows in your account, but with other airlines a trip for another person does not show in your account. Are there hoops to jump through in getting the points back in my account?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Blue Skye
Well that isn't what happened in my acct. I guess I will have to call someone tomorrow. I got the purchase receipt email, so there is that. Thanks for the reply.
I'm having the same issue... Maybe the high volume of people buying miles is really high and causing delays.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Flying AS1352 SFO-BOS on 11/19 on a B738, it'll be my first flight as an MVP. At T-44 there's one seat in PC left (7B) and five left in F (1A, 1F, 2A, 2F, 3A). Since we're within the 48 hour window, does that mean that Golds and 75Ks were upgraded already and I can assume I will be upgraded sometime within 24 hours of departure? I'm in fare class V, with ticket bought 10/01 and am at ~41.6K EQM (just need this segment for Gold) if that makes any difference.

I'm not sure what the U inventory is, I don't have EF so if someone with a subscription could check that for me it would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.