Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
New question:

What's the best way to communicate with AS re: some suspect CS but more importantly, reimbursement for a rental car when they could not accommodate us on another flight for 36 hours. 40 minutes connection in SEA for the last flight of the day to RDM. We landed 30 minutes early at SEA but had a tarmac delay of over an hour. Needless to say, many things went downhill from there. AS may claim it was weather (was raining) but I'm guessing more operational (was the Skywest outage day)

TIA
Old Nov 1, 2021, 1:28 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
EQM Question

My Alaska YTD miles is 54,879 and my Alaska/Partner miles is 62,356. It says I'm 20,121 miles away from MVP 75K under Alaska YTD miles. However it says I'm 27,644 miles away from MVP 75K under Alaska/Partner YTD miles. Shouldn't the latter be 12,644 (75,000 minus 62,356)?

I'm new to Alaska Airlines (recently switched from United).
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by thekaica
EQM Question

My Alaska YTD miles is 54,879 and my Alaska/Partner miles is 62,356. It says I'm 20,121 miles away from MVP 75K under Alaska YTD miles. However it says I'm 27,644 miles away from MVP 75K under Alaska/Partner YTD miles. Shouldn't the latter be 12,644 (75,000 minus 62,356)?

I'm new to Alaska Airlines (recently switched from United).
The web interface hasn’t been updated yet; the app is much better. You have 62K towards 75K; you also need 6 AS segments.
minhaoxue and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
The web interface hasn’t been updated yet; the app is much better. You have 62K towards 75K; you also need 6 AS segments.
Thank you. The app confirmed I have 12,644 miles to go. I already have the 6 AS segments.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS G75k, Hyatt Globalist
If I have an award booked in economy (T) as a Gold 75k, does that still qualify for T-120 / gate upgrades because its not saver fare? Thank you!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by icejan
If I have an award booked in economy (T) as a Gold 75k, does that still qualify for T-120 / gate upgrades because its not saver fare? Thank you!
It still qualifies. I just had one clear yesterday and another today.
FlyerDigits and icejan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Quick question about min# of Alaska operated segments for MVPG75k

I noticed that next year 2022 the number of AS operated segments required to obtain MVPGold 75k is going to 12 (from the current 6)

Does anyone know if segments you fly on Alaska when redeeming miles count toward this number or only paid flights? I know you don't earn RDM or EQM on award tickets but I didn't know if they counted towards minimum AS segments for status.

For instance I was looking at a RT that was MSP-SEA-LAX-DOH-SFO-PDX-MSP using MP miles, 4 AS segments and 2 QR segments. I'm just curious if those 4 AS segments would count towards the 12 needed for MVPG 75k

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jacksafar
I noticed that next year 2022 the number of AS operated segments required to obtain MVPGold 75k is going to 12 (from the current 6)

Does anyone know if segments you fly on Alaska when redeeming miles count toward this number or only paid flights? I know you don't earn RDM or EQM on award tickets but I didn't know if they counted towards minimum AS segments for status.

For instance I was looking at a RT that was MSP-SEA-LAX-DOH-SFO-PDX-MSP using MP miles, 4 AS segments and 2 QR segments. I'm just curious if those 4 AS segments would count towards the 12 needed for MVPG 75k

Thanks in advance!
99% sure it's only paid segments and that awards don't count as an eligible segment.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
99% sure it's only paid segments and that awards don't count as an eligible segment.
Additionally, award segments don't show up in your account activity nor do they increase your segments towards earning status via segments regardless of carrier.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by icejan
Yes, all MP Elites on awards are eligible for complimentary upgrades within their respective tier windows. All revenue tickets will be upgraded before awards but a 75K on an award will still be upgraded before any MVPG, whether revenue or award.

James
anteater and icejan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
I'm a status-matched MVP75. I'm looking to buy a 1-way ticket. Prices offered on AK website are "Main Cabin" $169, "Premium Class Upgrade" $169, "First Class Upgrade" $199, and "First Class" $289. If I click on the FC UG option, I'm told "One or more of your flights does not have First Class upgrade space available." What's the advantage (if any) for me to pay the extra $30?

Also, how can I see the fare class before purchasing the ticket?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Please direct me to any thread regarding my questions. Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 7:49 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
I'm a status-matched MVP75. I'm looking to buy a 1-way ticket. Prices offered on AK website are "Main Cabin" $169, "Premium Class Upgrade" $169, "First Class Upgrade" $199, and "First Class" $289. If I click on the FC UG option, I'm told "One or more of your flights does not have First Class upgrade space available." What's the advantage (if any) for me to pay the extra $30?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Please direct me to any thread regarding my questions. Thanks!
It sounds like one of the legs of your one way is in a regional jet that doesn’t have first class seats. Personally, I’d take the Premium seat and just let yourself get added to the first class upgrade list.

I mainly book through the Chase travel portal, so I don’t know what the Alaska screen looks like. Why are you wondering about the fare class? Wondering about instant upgrades? That $199 fare is probably one of the economy fares that qualifies for them, which is why it’s less than full fare first.

what’s the route you’re flying?
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:05 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by SFOTerry

FC Upgrade tickets rely on the availability of U space. You’ll see a blue F if available and a white F if not available.

Look at your itinerary and see which legs have blue or white F; then, you’ll know which legs will auto upgrade into F.

For the legs without U space, you’ll be on a waitlist to auto upgrade until U space becomes available, or until T-120 begins.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
what’s the route you’re flying?
SFO-LAS nonstop on A320 (old Virgin?) seatmap shows 12 F seats, 6 avail

Originally Posted by anteater
FC Upgrade tickets rely on the availability of U space. You’ll see a blue F if available and a white F if not available.
White

So I guess the $30 would buy into U, if available, but why bother if the F is white? I guess it could go blue before the complimentary UG window, but if not, is the $30 wasted, or perhaps would it put me ahead of others? I'm pretty sure I will just pay the $169, unless someone here can show me a reason why. Thanks again.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:51 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Been out of the loop for a while due to our lockdowns here down under. I had a question regarding the new status requirements listed on the website.

MVPG used to be 50K AS/Partners but now it's 40K listed on the website. Can I confirm that this is for 2021 requalification for 2022 and going forward?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.