Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:25 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Congratulations on being an AS Elite. The danger with MVPG+ is that you won't want to give it up.

James
Awww- thanks James- also thanks for sharing your knowledge on here- I have learned so much from you!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by mtofell
I swear someone at Alaska IT is screwing with me. This happens just infrequently enough that I stop checking and get burned. This is the 3rd time in the last 6 months. To quote the GA today, "It happens constantly and we have no idea why." Come Alaska.... figure it out!!!!
it happens to us also. AS has no idea why, as you mentioned.
Now, when checking in at T24, always have number ready to add . It happens 25% of the time.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:32 pm

I have an AA.com account and FF# with AA. If I am booking a flight on AA.com how do I make sure I get my Alaska elite benefits when booking? I assume I wouldn't log into my AA FF account as I wouldn't be able to change the number? Also it looks like we can't book AA flights on Alaska website as of yet, yes? Is this planned for the future?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
I have an AA.com account and FF# with AA. If I am booking a flight on AA.com how do I make sure I get my Alaska elite benefits when booking? I assume I wouldn't log into my AA FF account as I wouldn't be able to change the number? Also it looks like we can't book AA flights on Alaska website as of yet, yes? Is this planned for the future?
When you are booking an AA flight, you enter your AS mileage plan info in a section during the check out process. If you log in to your AA account, it will have your AA info already filled in. Simply swap in your AS info and proceed with checking out.
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Congratulations on being an AS Elite. The danger with MVPG+ is that you won't want to give it up.

James
Ha! My gf had a similar experience. She thought my focus on status was a bit silly until she hit MVPG herself
Old Apr 15, 2021, 10:57 am

Rebooking

What is the best way to handle a booking that I myself cancel? Should I move the funds to an Alaska wallet? Are there any restrictions regarding the passengers on the ultimate booking? Same as original? Do I have to be on the new booking? Are there any good options for converting to miles? Alaska isn't the best carrier for my city so I would like to figure out how to use the funds on AA flights if possible. Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:00 pm

Question Any advantage to giving partner elite status for travelling together?

I'm on my way to Gold with my eye on 75k if I can find a few good mileage runs by the end of the year. So if you get 75K you can gift MVP to someone like a significant other. Is there any advantage at all, once you have 75K, that when travelling with your partner on Alaska, for them to have their own elite AS status? So does Me (future 75K) + Partner (gifted MVP)= higher chance of upgrade vs. Me (future 75K) + Partner (no status)= lower chance of upgrade?

Essentially does the 75K status "cover" the travelling partner with upgrades/luggage/etc. so their elite status is unnecessary. My partner only travels with me for vacations and doesn't do solo travel, so wanted to know if it would be best to gift someone else with MVP other than him as he wouldn't use it otherwise other than travelling with me.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sky Dreamer
I'm on my way to Gold with my eye on 75k if I can find a few good mileage runs by the end of the year. So if you get 75K you can gift MVP to someone like a significant other.Is there any advantage at all, once you have 75K, that when travelling with your partner on Alaska, for them to have their own elite AS status? So does Me (future 75K) + Partner (gifted MVP)= higher chance of upgrade vs. Me (future 75K) + Partner (no status)= lower chance of upgrade?

Essentially does the 75K status "cover" the travelling partner with upgrades/luggage/etc. so their elite status is unnecessary. My partner only travels with me for vacations and doesn't do solo travel, so wanted to know if it would be best to gift someone else with MVP other than him as he wouldn't use it otherwise other than travelling with me.
MVPG75K does not cover a companion's luggage, however, you get 2 pieces so, in theory, you could check something for them. There would be no benefit in terms of upgrade priority if they were an MVP vs having no status when traveling with a 75K. They would get Oneworld Ruby, which from my understanding is fairly worthless (someone will certainly correct me if they disagree). If you know a solo traveler, it would certainly be a bigger benefit to them. The one caveat is that it won't really help a solo traveler who flies on paid first class tickets. I gave mine to someone who does just that and it really provides no benefit to them.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
MVPG75K does not cover a companion's luggage, however, you get 2 pieces so, in theory, you could check something for them. There would be no benefit in terms of upgrade priority if they were an MVP vs having no status when traveling with a 75K. They would get Oneworld Ruby, which from my understanding is fairly worthless (someone will certainly correct me if they disagree). If you know a solo traveler, it would certainly be a bigger benefit to them. The one caveat is that it won't really help a solo traveler who flies on paid first class tickets. I gave mine to someone who does just that and it really provides no benefit to them.
The other benefit of MVP is the 50% Elite bonus RDM. Even if you only fly F but not enough F to earn Status, MVP is still a benefit for RDM.

When booking awards, AS will take miles from both Member accounts as long as their is sufficient miles in each account to cover the award fare. It is an opportunity to use your MVP RDM but still get all the benefits of your Partner's 75K Elite Status.

James
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
My companions have always received my luggage allowance. Also, 75K now gets 3 bags, not 2.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by sturges
My companions have always received my luggage allowance. Also, 75K now gets 3 bags, not 2.
I see in the fine print where in fact the luggage allowance does include the traveling companions (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...laska-airlines). Where are you seeing that 3 bags are allowed?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

I see in the fine print where in fact the luggage allowance does include the traveling companions (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...laska-airlines). Where are you seeing that 3 bags are allowed?
Both OWS (MVPG) & OWE (MVPG75K) are granted an additional baggage allowance. If you click on the Oneworld Benefits at the bottom of the linked page, you will see "additional baggage," as a benefit for oneworld Elites.

James
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:52 pm

Both OWS (MVPG) & OWE (MVPG75K) are granted an additional baggage allowance. If you click on the Oneworld Benefits at the bottom of the linked page, you will see "additional baggage," as a benefit for oneworld Elites.

James
Thanks. I assumed that must be where 3 came from, but I still find it odd that they break it out like that.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: Nectar Card

[...]
Does it stack though? Are you saying MVPG and MVPG75k get two bags as a MileagePlan elite benefit, and then by virtue of them being OWS and OWE, respectively, they get an additional bag (for a total of three)?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I assumed that must be where 3 came from, but I still find it odd that they break it out like that.
It may seem odd, but the oneworld benefit is in addition to the carriers allotment. If the carrier has different allotments for different routes or changes their allotments based Elite Status, origin, destination or class, or provides 50# or 70# per bag, they don't need to concerned about the oneworld benefit that remains static; one additional bag.

AS baggage allowance is currently 2 checked at 50# each. The oneworld benefit allows for an additional bag at 50#. Other carriers allow up to 70# per checked bag and the oneworld allows for an additional bag at 70#.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.