Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by davistev
Are you sure about this? My account specifically has an entry that states "SPECIAL SERVICES
ELITE QUALIFYING 2020 ROLLOVER SEGMENTS" and then it indicates all my 2020 segments rolled into 2021.

From this, I would say that not only are your miles rolled over but also your segments.
Both rolled over. I didn't want to take my chances of not getting credit for 4x AS flights I booked 4 segment mileage run and now have 12 segments total.

Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Both rolled over. I didn't want to take my chances of not getting credit for 4x AS flights I booked 4 segment mileage run and now have 12 segments total.
I carried over 31 segments, flew 2 segments on January 1st & 2 segments on January 7th. With 4 segments flown 2021, my MVPG75K status was updated to the end of 2022 and I received 50K bonus miles on January 9th. Since 6 segments are required to requalify for 75K, it appears that the carryover segments were used to fulfill the segment requirement.

James
anteater likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Wow, am I spoiled! I haven't walked past row 10 in any of my 12 segments (mostly OGG>PDX) over the last few months but tomorrow am in the back of the plane with my 3 kids for 5+ hours. Yep, I got cheap and went saver fare... regretting it now. It's so funny with fares and seats. At the time of booking I'll do anything to save a couple bucks. Day of flight? I'd pay $500 for a better seat

BTW..... did I hear as an MVPG I'm supposed to get a free drink even in saver?

Edit post-trip: Yep, got a nice ice cold IPA..... all the way back in 28C

Last edited by mtofell; Mar 18, 2021 at 11:03 am
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:44 pm

Cancelling AS Tickets

I was planning to cancel my Alaska ticket, and credit the amount paid to wallet funds. Just wanted to check a couple of issues, as I came across ambivalent fine print:
1. Can this be done for any class of service -- Saver, Main, and First?
2. Is this policy good until further notice or has a known expiration date?
Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska
I need to come to the experts here, because I'm feeling pretty annoyed with apparently having gifted Alaska $2000 (sort of)

We bought tickets for April of 2020 in July of 2019.

These tickets were purchased through the AMEX travel portal using only AMEX points.

In early April of 2020, we changed our flights to November of 2020.

In September of 2020, we changed our flights to April 2021.

I have a child who absolutely cannot travel until he gets fully vaccinated, and that looks like it will happen at some point this fall.

I contacted Alaska to try and change our tickets or convert them to credit, and was told that because they are "so old," they have lost all value if we do not travel by April 22, 2021.

On the Alaska website, I went to "Change My Flight" and was given the option of switching to flights in January of 2022 for $125 per person (with, weirdly a $160 credit sent to my wallet). However, in the fine print, it said the value of the original tickets must be used by April 22, 2021.

Questions:
1) Is there a work around for just getting the value as credit? Is there a magical word I can say?
2) If I change the tickets to January 2022 for $125 per person, will I at some point have to pay them more money for the value of the original tickets? Or can I be confident we'll just have to spend an additional $500 and be done with it (which is still annoying all things considered). Are these new tickets and I may be able to change again in case health stuff precludes travel?

We have no status, a lot of earned miles, and do have two Alaska Visa cards. I will take any ideas or help!
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rainypolo
I need to come to the experts here, because I'm feeling pretty annoyed with apparently having gifted Alaska $2000 (sort of)

We bought tickets for April of 2020 in July of 2019.

These tickets were purchased through the AMEX travel portal using only AMEX points.

In early April of 2020, we changed our flights to November of 2020.

In September of 2020, we changed our flights to April 2021.

I have a child who absolutely cannot travel until he gets fully vaccinated, and that looks like it will happen at some point this fall.

I contacted Alaska to try and change our tickets or convert them to credit, and was told that because they are "so old," they have lost all value if we do not travel by April 22, 2021.

On the Alaska website, I went to "Change My Flight" and was given the option of switching to flights in January of 2022 for $125 per person (with, weirdly a $160 credit sent to my wallet). However, in the fine print, it said the value of the original tickets must be used by April 22, 2021.

Questions:
1) Is there a work around for just getting the value as credit? Is there a magical word I can say?
2) If I change the tickets to January 2022 for $125 per person, will I at some point have to pay them more money for the value of the original tickets? Or can I be confident we'll just have to spend an additional $500 and be done with it (which is still annoying all things considered). Are these new tickets and I may be able to change again in case health stuff precludes travel?

We have no status, a lot of earned miles, and do have two Alaska Visa cards. I will take any ideas or help!
I guess I don't understand why you can't just cancel them and put them in your wallet. Is this a limitation of booking through Amex?
Old Mar 15, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I guess I don't understand why you can't just cancel them and put them in your wallet. Is this a limitation of booking through Amex?
I dont know if it is related or not, but the app, the website and customer care all indicate that I cannot cancel the ticket and receive any credit for it.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I'm a 75K and I only recently figured out that I can do a same day change at T-24.

My partner is MVP Gold and I tried to change her flight and it is not giving me a change flight option at check in. Is this a feature that is unique to 75K (change at T-24) and are MVP Gold still limited to 10pm the night for making a change? The confirmed flight change benefit is described the same way for both tiers on the website.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by rainypolo
I dont know if it is related or not, but the app, the website and customer care all indicate that I cannot cancel the ticket and receive any credit for it.
Because booking a ticket through Amex is the same as an OTA, see this thread related to UR (Chase) purchases and cancellations. AS won't take over the ticket, the only value is held with the OTA, so you cannot transfer it to My Wallet.

Combining Alaska Airlines companion fare with UR points/book & cancel
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by seacarl
I'm a 75K and I only recently figured out that I can do a same day change at T-24.

My partner is MVP Gold and I tried to change her flight and it is not giving me a change flight option at check in. Is this a feature that is unique to 75K (change at T-24) and are MVP Gold still limited to 10pm the night for making a change? The confirmed flight change benefit is described the same way for both tiers on the website.
It should be T-24 for both. You may just need to call or chat in for help.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
It should be T-24 for both. You may just need to call or chat in for help.
I don't know whether I experienced a glitch, or have uncovered another IT weirdness. I had been logged into my account which contained both reservations and ran check in from there. When I ran it for her, it didn't have a "Change Flights" option. I tried logging out of my account and logging in to her account and running check-in from her account. When I did that, it gave me the Change Flights option and I was able to make the change and even got a bonus instant upgrade to F on the new flight. So maybe check-in needs to be run from the account of the customer or at least while not logged in to someone else.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: free agent
If I book LAX-IAD-LAX same day turnaround, AS would use same plane for this cross country trip or they are using the plane from SEA-IAD for IAD-LAX leg?
Old Mar 21, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by washeelers747
If I book LAX-IAD-LAX same day turnaround, AS would use same plane for this cross country trip or they are using the plane from SEA-IAD for IAD-LAX leg?
There would be no way of knowing for sure. For example, AS 6 and AS 5 (LAX-DCA / DCA-LAX) are sometimes operated by the same plane, and sometimes the plane that flies LAX-DCA goes on to Seattle. One other thing worth mentioning would be that AS is not currently operating nonstop LAX-IAD flights, so you would have to be prepared for the possibility that your flight is canceled and you are rerouted through SEA or put on the LAX-DCA flight.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
One other thing worth mentioning would be that AS is not currently operating nonstop LAX-IAD flights, so you would have to be prepared for the possibility that your flight is canceled and you are rerouted through SEA or put on the LAX-DCA flight.
ah I booked trip in mid-May. Thought May schedule likely to be set in stone. Hope IAD-LAX is operating since I book F tickets at good price. Lets see what happens

Last edited by washeelers747; Mar 21, 2021 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 21, 2021, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold, HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I have an IAD-LAX flight confirmed for early-April.
They are resuming this route on 4/4.
washeelers747 and RAD_PDX like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.