Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:57 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by anteater
It has always posted as soon as my account has hit 75K. Try giving Customer Care a call to see if they know. I recall sometimes the system doing sweeps.
Issue resolved - required a phone call.

Agent mentioned it required manual intervention to get it to post correctly.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Issue resolved - required a phone call.

Agent mentioned it required manual intervention to get it to post correctly.
The AS online system definitely has its limitations but they seem to be pretty good about letting you know to call and are usually pretty helpful once you do. I've had a few things like this come up and they get quickly sorted out with a phone call.... like the cavemen used to do Glad you got it sorted out.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:13 am

Two questions regarding AS:

1. What is the policy for carry on luggage for those flying "basic economy" (i.e. last to board), in case there is no more overhead space? Will their bags be "gate checked"? If they are "gate checked" - do they collect these bags on arrival at the airbridge or do the bags go with the checked luggage to the belt?

2. The flight is offered with an intl.-domestic connection of 1:45 at LAX (Mexico to US). How feasible it is currently (considering that this is the only flight option, i.e. no longer connections available)?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tr3k
Two questions regarding AS:

1. What is the policy for carry on luggage for those flying "basic economy" (i.e. last to board), in case there is no more overhead space? Will their bags be "gate checked"? If they are "gate checked" - do they collect these bags on arrival at the airbridge or do the bags go with the checked luggage to the belt?

2. The flight is offered with an intl.-domestic connection of 1:45 at LAX (Mexico to US). How feasible it is currently (considering that this is the only flight option, i.e. no longer connections available)?
1. They are typically checked to final destination baggage claim belt, not collected on the jet bridge.
2. Am not sure about current feasibility, but pre-COVID, that would have been enough time, typically.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:15 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Flying in First and the FA hands me 2 sealed cans of wine, which I save. On my next (connecting) flight I'm in the main cabin. Can I drink the saved wine on that flight?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Flying in First and the FA hands me 2 sealed cans of wine, which I save. On my next (connecting) flight I'm in the main cabin. Can I drink the saved wine on that flight?
Ohhh, this is a great question! The law says "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."
Does that mean that if it is served on an Alaska operated flight, you could drink it on another Alaska operated flight, but not one operated by Skywest or Horizon?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Upgrade from exit row?

The Alaska Premium Upgrade FAQ says "If you have a seat in an exit row when your upgrade window arrives, you will not be moved to Premium Class."

Is this really still the case? I searched Flyertalk and can't find a definitive answer. There was a checkbox during purchase that would have allowed me to opt out of premium upgrades but I didn't select it. I'm in 17D and it says I'm on the premium class waitlist. Why give me the ability to control the upgrade if there's a rule that overrides it?

First has one seat, Premium is full, and Elite seating is 33% full at 10 days out (BOS-SEA). I don't think I'll get a Premium upgrade so I don't think it's worth moving out of the exit row seat to be eligible for the premium upgrade and lose the exit row seat. But if for some reason Premium seating opens up because of cancellations, I'd take it due to seat blocking.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by joachimm
The Alaska Premium Upgrade FAQ says "If you have a seat in an exit row when your upgrade window arrives, you will not be moved to Premium Class."

Is this really still the case? I searched Flyertalk and can't find a definitive answer. There was a checkbox during purchase that would have allowed me to opt out of premium upgrades but I didn't select it. I'm in 17D and it says I'm on the premium class waitlist. Why give me the ability to control the upgrade if there's a rule that overrides it?

First has one seat, Premium is full, and Elite seating is 33% full at 10 days out (BOS-SEA). I don't think I'll get a Premium upgrade so I don't think it's worth moving out of the exit row seat to be eligible for the premium upgrade and lose the exit row seat. But if for some reason Premium seating opens up because of cancellations, I'd take it due to seat blocking.
In my experience you will not be moved from an exit row, no. You can set a seat alert (or check seat map frequently as departure gets closer) and move yourself to premium, though.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

Is this really still the case? I<DELETED>
In normal times, this is the case. When they first rolled out Premium Class there were a number of people who complained about being "upgraded" to a middle seat in Premium from exit row aisle seats, me being one of them. So the rule came into being. They leave you on the Premium upgrade list because you could choose to opt out of the exit row seat at any time prior to their running through upgrades.

Given the AS IT Group's spotty history, I'd be surprised if they actually successfully built out additional complexity into their upgrade algorithms. Plus they're busy with OneWorld integration. Don't rely on additional logic to figure out who might want what as an upgrade.

Given the risk of losing 17D with the hope of gaining a Premium seat, I'd play it safe and go with what you currently have reserved.
joachimm and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:22 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Ohhh, this is a great question! The law says "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircraft has served that beverage to him."
Does that mean that if it is served on an Alaska operated flight, you could drink it on another Alaska operated flight, but not one operated by Skywest or Horizon?
If the FA on your next flight is doing their job they will not allow you to open the alcohol.

If you open it mid-flight they may not notice that you supplied it, as it is a beverage stocked and served by AS.

I have observed AS FAs forcing the customer to dispose of an opened personal alcoholic beverage pre-departure and mid-flight.
cblaisd and PDXpress like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 5:39 pm

If you open it mid-flight they may not notice that you supplied it, as it is a beverage stocked and served by AS.
They should notice since they said they were in Main Cabin.
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:32 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
They should notice since they said they were in Main Cabin.
A keen eye! Isn’t PE considered Main Cabin? If so, that could be served. I don’t recall OP’s post, sorry.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:44 pm

A keen eye! Isn’t PE considered Main Cabin? If so, that could be served. I don’t recall OP’s post, sorry.
Premium Class could be considered the same as Main Cabin from a fare perspective, but it is considered a different "experience".
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I almost always reserve 17A or 17D when I book and I can't recall ever having been upgraded out of it to PC involuntarily in the past two years or so. Sometimes I'll go after the upgrade window opens and move up fo PC if the flight looks empty and like I can probably get an empty seat next to me in PC. (none of which ultimately matters because flights have been so empty I almost always get upgraded to F anyway). An advantage of exit rows is that they tend not to get auto-filled with people because of the exit row seating requirements, so you have a better chance of getting an empty adjacent seat.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I almost always reserve 17A or 17D when I book and I can't recall ever having been upgraded out of it to PC involuntarily in the past two years or so. Sometimes I'll go after the upgrade window opens and move up fo PC if the flight looks empty and like I can probably get an empty seat next to me in PC. (none of which ultimately matters because flights have been so empty I almost always get upgraded to F anyway). An advantage of exit rows is that they tend not to get auto-filled with people because of the exit row seating requirements, so you have a better chance of getting an empty adjacent seat.
Ok thanks, this is what I was wondering also about exit row policies, but I'm guessing any non-elite member could request the middle seat in the exit row at the gate. Maybe they'd reconsider when they see me :-) I'm going to keep 17D and check at T-72 hrs for open Premium seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.