Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happeemonkee
I’m looking at booking a saver fare for a short flight between Vegas and La. I have Oneworld Emerald status via my BA Gold card. Will I be able to check a bag for free?
You should look like an MVPG to them and be able to check a bag for free.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
That's great!. Thanks for the fast response.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's great!. Thanks for the fast response.
Make sure you use the BA FF number in your reservation with AS, since that's the source of your Emerald status.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:44 pm

I'm a bit confused how booking with American with my Alaska mileage plan account works. As I understand it those American miles count towards my status for the year, but those miles do not count towards million miler status, correct?
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Dallen
I'm a bit confused how booking with American with my Alaska mileage plan account works. As I understand it those American miles count towards my status for the year, but those miles do not count towards million miler status, correct?
Correct - MM status is AS metal only
Bellerina likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I’m looking at booking a saver fare for a short flight between Vegas and La. I have Oneworld Emerald status via my BA Gold card. Will I be able to check a bag for free?
Make sure you use the BA FF number in your reservation with AS, since that's the source of your Emerald status.

Baggage allowance for MVPG75K/oneworld Emerald is 3 bags. You can find AS baggage allowance here. If you are MVPG75K, the baggage allowance extends to the other parties in your PNR. For oneworld Emerald, the baggage allowance applies only to the Emerald member. See #2 in the footnotes.

James
Old Sep 21, 2021, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dallen
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Correct - MM status is AS metal only
Furthermore, an AA discount economy fare will not earn 100% EQM, & while the reduced EQM & segment does count towards your status, the AA segment does not count towards the requisite AS metal segments needed to attain said status.

James
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Delta or Alaska status ?

Currently MVP gold through status match and Delta Gold.
Stats: 20,328 miles on Alaska
51,699 MQM with MQD waiver on Delta

With 3 planned transcons before EoY do I

A) Fly only Alaska requalifying for Alaska Gold and maintaining Delta Gold knowing that I can earn Platinum next year based on the full miles rollover

OR

B) Fly only Delta in order to earn Platinum in 2021 with the 4RUC Choice benefit and bank on whatever promo Alaska has tease for Jan-April 2022 to requalify for Gold then
Old Sep 21, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Hi, anyone have any experience doing same day turnarounds mileage runs?

Rn I am booked AS 340 and AS 337 (SFO-EWR; EWR-SFO) as 2 separate bookings since it is under the MCT I believe for Newark airport. Cannot book it on the Alaska flight. I have my mileage plan attached to the first flight to Newark. I was planning on adding my mileage plan number a day before the flight to SDC to AS 393 (EWR-LAX) and AS 3930 (LAX-SFO) which will put me into a proper MCT, and is bookable on the website.

Are there any flaws to this? I don't want Alaska to clear my bookings as illegal bookings because that would be unfortunate.

I also saw to get to EWR that same day, there is an option to go through LAX (AS 3318 and 548). If I were to go from SFO-LAX-EWR-LAX-SFO, that would be ideal as I would get a decent chunk of EQM that would get me closer to 75k, however, the MCT would not be met as it would be 55min at EWR. Of course, I would not be checking in a bag or anything so I would stay airside. It seems as if they use the same aircraft but I cannot tell if it is the same aircraft.

Would this combination be possible or would the CSR's not be okay with this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did AS match you to 75K or did they grant you 75K
It was a status match and they matched me to their 75K. I'm good until end of December. I wanted to keep the 75K and was fuzzy on the EQM part. I will hit 75K in the middle of November. When you book a flight with UA, they tell you exactly how many miles you will earn toward you EQM goal. Appreciate you explanation.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
It was a status match and they matched me to their 75K. I'm good until end of December. I wanted to keep the 75K and was fuzzy on the EQM part. I will hit 75K in the middle of November. When you book a flight with UA, they tell you exactly how many miles you will earn toward you EQM goal. Appreciate you explanation.
Awesome & congratulations on the match. AS has always been week in laying out earnings for status. You can't simply go through your mileage activity & add up the base miles from your flights as any COS & top-up to the 500 mile minimum are hidden in the bonus. It would be great if they could address that.

James
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by CathayMVP
Hi, anyone have any experience doing same day turnarounds mileage runs?

Rn I am booked AS 340 and AS 337 (SFO-EWR; EWR-SFO) as 2 separate bookings since it is under the MCT I believe for Newark airport. Cannot book it on the Alaska flight. I have my mileage plan attached to the first flight to Newark. I was planning on adding my mileage plan number a day before the flight to SDC to AS 393 (EWR-LAX) and AS 3930 (LAX-SFO) which will put me into a proper MCT, and is bookable on the website.

Are there any flaws to this? I don't want Alaska to clear my bookings as illegal bookings because that would be unfortunate.

I also saw to get to EWR that same day, there is an option to go through LAX (AS 3318 and 548). If I were to go from SFO-LAX-EWR-LAX-SFO, that would be ideal as I would get a decent chunk of EQM that would get me closer to 75k, however, the MCT would not be met as it would be 55min at EWR. Of course, I would not be checking in a bag or anything so I would stay airside. It seems as if they use the same aircraft but I cannot tell if it is the same aircraft.
AS does rotate aircraft at East Coast terminals. Currently some aircraft route, for example, LAX-JFK-SEA or SFO-JFK-LAX. You can check the current operating pattern by looking at FlightAware - Flight Tracker / Flight Status at your flight today or tomorrow and clicking on "where is my plane now" and you will see what the turn is. However, there is no assurance that the rotation won't change in the future, or on a particular day. For example, I once did a sameday mile run to BOS, and generally the aircraft were scheduled to return to their origin, but on my date AS swapped the SEA and PDX aircraft at BOS, even though it meant a delay for one of the flights. (I assume that they did this because they planned maintenance on one of the aircraft and needed it somewhere.) They will not swap between A321's and 737's and they generally won't swap between 738's and 739's - so if you can look at the schedule, you may be able to narrow down what operations are likely to be. It looks like AS is currently operating 738's from SAN, SFO, and LAX to EWR, and 739's from SEA and PDX. They do have two or three gates at EWR so it's entirely possible that they have overlapping arrivals and departures.

If you are booked on separate reservations (separate PNRs or confirmation code) Alaska's IT won't do anything to cancel your reservation - it will just be at your risk in the event the your inbound flight is late and another aircraft operates the outbound. While usually if there are ATC or weather delays then both aircraft would be delayed, that doesn't always work out that way in practice. If that were to happen, I expect that AS would rebook you, either same flight the following day, or if you are lucky and they still have flights headed to the West Coast that haven't departed, on any West Coast departure with a connection back (might be the following day.)
Old Sep 22, 2021, 6:29 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Is there rhyme or reason as to when or whether AS decides to clear upgrades? My transcon flight tomorrow still shows 4 seats for sale on alaskaair.com and 5 empty seats in F. (And it could be that the 4 seats for sale are at a lower fare bucket than the 5th.) Sometimes they seem to clear some upgrades until there are 1-2 seats left. Other times they don't. There isn't any U space available, so I gather that this is inventory management. Is this a human-driven, subjective decision? Is there an algorithm? I don't understand the process and I've been flying plenty of AS and still haven't seen a pattern that I can recognize.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
How many people can really requalify for 75K status by their new Q1 2022 date? I can't. I assume a lot of work travelers cant. I wish they extended status through 2022... what are the chances they do that?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by tripmaster
How many people can really requalify for 75K status by their new Q1 2022 date? I can't. I assume a lot of work travelers cant. I wish they extended status through 2022... what are the chances they do that?
Do we even know what the requirements will be for the Q1 status “requalification challenge”?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.