Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:35 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ezak
Congrats! Just a side note: next time, try not to refresh the reservation page while agents are working on the same ticket. I've been warned by many agents that this may cause a "simultaneous" error and may further delay whatever change you're trying to do. Personally I've had one such incident, where the agent couldn't complete the transaction during the phone call, and told me to wait a few hours for the final confirmation email. She specifically instructed me not to do anything with the reservation while waiting. That was also a JL award ticket in F, and needless to day, it was two very anxious hours before I got the email. With most airlines, this should be fine (such as AA), but apparently the infamous Alaska IT doesn't like it.
I refresh my res frequently when an agent is working on it to make sure they do not botch something. Never had a problem. You may see unexpected interim results when refreshing but simply viewing the reservation has never caused a problem for the agent working on changes, and this is on multiple airlines, not just AS.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:31 am
formerly rt23456p

Back in the good old days(2017/2018) I remember you can pay 25k miles+50USD in J for SIN-TYO-CAN/PEK/HKG with a max 24hr in TYO, one of the greatest redemptions ever, consider how much each airline charges for a flight like SIN-PEK regardless of whether it is direct or not. SIN-CAN/HKG brings you more than 10hrs of flying for 500USD, and the availability back then is amazing, unlike today...
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:28 am

Programs: AP, Avios, AS, Flying Blue, WJD
I've only got about 130k miles to work with right now, but trying to use the reverse round trip method to book 1 J and 1 F from ORD-HND on blocked dates for July 2023.
I can probably book 1 no problem, but for 2, I will be out of miles to do the second additional round trip.
My question is if I book the round trip for Y both ways, then call in to cancel the initial outbound, will the J/F seats show up unblocked for that remaining trip/date for me to change into.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by CHRoNiCWiLL
I've only got about 130k miles to work with right now, but trying to use the reverse round trip method to book 1 J and 1 F from ORD-HND on blocked dates for July 2023.
I can probably book 1 no problem, but for 2, I will be out of miles to do the second additional round trip.
My question is if I book the round trip for Y both ways, then call in to cancel the initial outbound, will the J/F seats show up unblocked for that remaining trip/date for me to change into.
I do not recall anyone trying this yet. You may be the first. But, if you only have 130k miles you do not have enough for two round-trips on one PNR, even in Y (70k * 2), so you would have to book one Y round-trip first, cancel the outbound, book a second Y round-trip, cancel the second outbound, then attempt to change the two one-way Y reservations, individually, to F or J. It is worth a try. Please let us know whether it works.

After you get the first trip down to one-segment you could try checking the online change tool to see if the F/J cabin shows up as available for change which would let you know whether there was any point in booking the second Y round-trip or the method did not work.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 2:57 pm

I am looking for JFK-HND-BKK flights for me and my SO. I managed to find an F+J seat, but since I cannot find a second one I booked a Y+Y seat just to guarantee we have a second seat on the same flight. My question is does AS allow F bookings to be mixed with Y? In case an F seat opens last minute, can we change to booking online or do we have to call in?

From previous messages it looks like the chances of a second HND-BKK J seat is slim, but a 7-hr flight in Y is easier to stomach vs a 14-hr one..
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by guanin2999
I am looking for JFK-HND-BKK flights for me and my SO. I managed to find an F+J seat, but since I cannot find a second one I booked a Y+Y seat just to guarantee we have a second seat on the same flight. My question is does AS allow F bookings to be mixed with Y? In case an F seat opens last minute, can we change to booking online or do we have to call in?

From previous messages it looks like the chances of a second HND-BKK J seat is slim, but a 7-hr flight in Y is easier to stomach vs a 14-hr one..
Just to confirm, you currently have two seats

JFK-HND: 1F1Y
HND-BKK: 1J1Y

? I'm surprised you couldn't find a flight with 2 J seats at least on the TPAC segment in that case.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Just to confirm, you currently have two seats

JFK-HND: 1F1Y
HND-BKK: 1J1Y

? I'm surprised you couldn't find a flight with 2 J seats at least on the TPAC segment in that case.
Yes, I have two separate PNRs booked. One with JFK-HND in F and HND-BKK in J, and one with both legs in Y. I've been searching everyday since end of July and TPAC J segments are nowhere to be found. The thing is I booked the FJ PNR back in May, and the YY PNR in July. When I was searching in July there was no space.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by guanin2999

Yes AS allows F+Y mixed cabin.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I do not recall anyone trying this yet. You may be the first. But, if you only have 130k miles you do not have enough for two round-trips on one PNR, even in Y (70k * 2), so you would have to book one Y round-trip first, cancel the outbound, book a second Y round-trip, cancel the second outbound, then attempt to change the two one-way Y reservations, individually, to F or J. It is worth a try. Please let us know whether it works.

After you get the first trip down to one-segment you could try checking the online change tool to see if the F/J cabin shows up as available for change which would let you know whether there was any point in booking the second Y round-trip or the method did not work.
What I did do just now was book Y outbound and F return flight. Called into to cancel the Y ticket and then a few hours later tried to see if the F ticket could be changed to J or Y on the same date. And I can confirm that this is not possible and the date is still blocked.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by CHRoNiCWiLL
What I did do just now was book Y outbound and F return flight. Called into to cancel the Y ticket and then a few hours later tried to see if the F ticket could be changed to J or Y on the same date. And I can confirm that this is not possible and the date is still blocked.
Could just be that with that many changes, your ticket is currently in processing hell and you need to sit tight for a bit.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Could just be that with that many changes, your ticket is currently in processing hell and you need to sit tight for a bit.
Well the ticket was allowing me to change to earlier unblocked dates so I do think that's how it works
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:46 am

Hello,

I've noticed the JL LAX to NRT F availability is very good T - 13 days.
Ultimately, I'd like to go JL LAX to NRT in F, NRT to BKK in J in September. (2 seats)
I only see Y availability for NRT to BKK T-13 days. Does this mean that there really is no availability or is the the glitch that has been mentioned? If I look for NRT to BKK on the AA site, I only see Y.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 3:05 pm

Also, if I do LAX to NRT F, add NRT to BKK and it has to be Y, anyone have any experience with getting a paid upgrade on an award with JL using AS miles? Sorry for all of the questions.

Thank!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by HRHCyndy
Hello,

I've noticed the JL LAX to NRT F availability is very good T - 13 days.
Ultimately, I'd like to go JL LAX to NRT in F, NRT to BKK in J in September. (2 seats)
I only see Y availability for NRT to BKK T-13 days. Does this mean that there really is no availability or is the the glitch that has been mentioned? If I look for NRT to BKK on the AA site, I only see Y.

Thanks for your help!
It is unlikely that you will see more award J seat for Sept. There was a sale on JFK-BKK earlier this year and it probably dry up J inventory in general.

When you book your ticket using AS miles, it is an AS ticket and JL will not touch it => I dont think you have any option to pay for upgrade from Y to J
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:40 pm

Thank you Thichbay. I was hoping that at checkin for F that perhaps they might be able to offer some sort of paid upgrade. Y after a long F seems pretty awful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.