Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 2:09 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by freed0m
I have no problem to find F on JFK-HND and J on NRT-KUL with multi-city.

keep in mind that there is no F on JL after March 31st on AS. F on JL still available to other partners after March 31st.

If you don't mind, please provide the date.
Oh, I didn't know about the 31 March change.

I managed to find JFK-TOY on or about 20 February, connecting to KUL 17-odd hours later.

Is it normal for the multi-city tool to return results of all flights? By that I mean, am I only ever going to be able to see (in my case here) both flights together, rather than being able to chose which JFK-TOY flight I want in one step and then, in another step, which NRT-KUL flight I want? I recognise it's rather elementary in my case because there's only at most two flights a day JFK-TOK and one a day NRT-KUL but I'd be happy to extend my stay in TOK by a day or two if I could select that onward KUL flight separately.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by danger

I managed to find JFK-TOY on or about 20 February, connecting to KUL 17-odd hours later.

Is it normal for the multi-city tool to return results of all flights? By that I mean, am I only ever going to be able to see (in my case here) both flights together, rather than being able to chose which JFK-TOY flight I want in one step and then, in another step, which NRT-KUL flight I want? I recognise it's rather elementary in my case because there's only at most two flights a day JFK-TOK and one a day NRT-KUL but I'd be happy to extend my stay in TOK by a day or two if I could select that onward KUL flight separately.

It is quite easy to search multi-city, especially with US-Asia. The difficult flight is US-Japan on F. There is only one day with JFK-TYO on F on 19th in the whole Feburary. Many more on ORD-TYO, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, 12th and 14th.

You can search NRT-KUL alone, with calendar view to see all the days with business class. If it is 25K, it is JL. 60K is SQ.

I would say you can select almost any day for NRT-KUL, except 13th.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If you want to bake in a longer stopover in TYO just specify what date you want to fly to KUL. If you want 3 days in TYO specify the date on the second leg as 3 days after arrival. (morning TPAC flights to Asia arrive +1 days, evening departures arrive +2 days) I have had stopovers of 2 months on CX (MEL-HKG Sep 7, HKG-LAX Nov 7) and 27 days in DXB on EK. (SFO-DXB-JNB) I also had an 11-day stopover in HKG between JFK & CPT and flew revenue to/from SYD in between. Stopovers can be good jumping off locations for other itineraies.

James
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Whoa, is this true, no more 1st class JAL awards at the end of March? When was that announced?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador

Whoa, is this true, no more 1st class JAL awards at the end of March? When was that announced?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:38 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It is quite easy to search multi-city, especially with US-Asia. The difficult flight is US-Japan on F. There is only one day with JFK-TYO on F on 19th in the whole Feburary. Many more on ORD-TYO, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, 12th and 14th.

You can search NRT-KUL alone, with calendar view to see all the days with business class. If it is 25K, it is JL. 60K is SQ.

I would say you can select almost any day for NRT-KUL, except 13th.
Yep. Looks like NRT-KUL is no problem but only one option out of JFK, which I can't imagine will hang around for long.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you want to bake in a longer stopover in TYO just specify what date you want to fly to KUL. If you want 3 days in TYO specify the date on the second leg as 3 days after arrival. (morning TPAC flights to Asia arrive +1 days, evening departures arrive +2 days) I have had stopovers of 2 months on CX (MEL-HKG Sep 7, HKG-LAX Nov 7) and 27 days in DXB on EK. (SFO-DXB-JNB) I also had an 11-day stopover in HKG between JFK & CPT and flew revenue to/from SYD in between. Stopovers can be good jumping off locations for other itineraies.

James
I'm wondering now whether it's worth having more than a transit in Tokyo. With the 5pm arrival and then 11am departure, you end up arriving at your hotel in the evening and leaving again quite early. I might be better off looking for CX options instead.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:41 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Yep. Looks like NRT-KUL is no problem but only one option out of JFK, which I can't imagine will hang around for long.

I'm wondering now whether it's worth having more than a transit in Tokyo. With the 5pm arrival and then 11am departure, you end up arriving at your hotel in the evening and leaving again quite early. I might be better off looking for CX options instead.
If Narita, the airport is in a completely different city (narita) takes about an hour to get downtown. HND depending on where you stay will take you considerably less
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
If Narita, the airport is in a completely different city (narita) takes about an hour to get downtown. HND depending on where you stay will take you considerably less
Sounds like another reason simply to arrive at HND, make way to a hotel near NRT for the night and fly out the next day.

Is something like US-xTOK-KUL, KUL-xTOK-SIN doable on one award?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Sounds like another reason simply to arrive at HND, make way to a hotel near NRT for the night and fly out the next day.

Is something like US-xTOK-KUL, KUL-xTOK-SIN doable on one award?
Why not just arrive in NRT? There are plenty of airport hotels (I like the Hilton NRT but there are cheaper options too)

Edit: To your question, no the stopover must be in the US or at the gateway
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not just arrive in NRT? There are plenty of airport hotels (I like the Hilton NRT but there are cheaper options too)

I didn't think it was possible to fly JFK-NRT in F.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I didn't think it was possible to fly JFK-NRT in F.
I see they must have reduced or changed things I haven’t kept up.

There’s a limo bus shuttle that’ll get you from HND to NRT. Pretty easy just follow the signs that say Narita Shuttle.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

And thanks to the SQ debacle, no stopovers on inter-Asia flights anymore. As to your edit, don't discount what you can do with partners that can be booked online.

James
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

That sole JFK-HND F seat that was there less than 24 hours ago has now disappeared as I wait for top-up points to come across from Marriott.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: Alaska
That sole JFK-HND F seat that was there less than 24 hours ago has now disappeared as I wait for top-up points to come across from Marriott.
feb 7th is available now.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:24 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

feb 7th is available now.
Interesting. Thank you. So JL availability can come and go and come again on AS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.