Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Quail
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) Miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments).
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart
If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(As of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)

For 2021:
F awards are available again to book directly on AS website (no need to book J then try to change segment) as of June 12, 2021.

Class of Service One-way Round-trip:

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SFO, SEA, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia (or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing)
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)

Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread (2020-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by CXCPA
I have a intra-asia redemption on Jal in Apr which I did an online chat and they asked for the $125 USD saying its outside the waiver guidelines. Anyone else experienced anything different?
Try HUCA. If that does not work some posters here have had success with online help.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:48 pm

I did call at 5 am PT or something the pickup time was fast! Lol. The agent said they can’t waive due to their ridiculous waiver policies of only issuing waivers for tickets bought in late February and March. I really could not understand the logic

She gave me the advise to wait since my flight is about a month away to see if JAL cancelled the flight or AS revised their waiver policies since the situation now changes everyday.

Anyway what I have observed now we have to hope for airlines to cancel flights or have some sort of strong government advisory against those countries then they are willing to waive change or cancel fees. They used to allow free cancellation but the trend is moving to charging cancellation fees as per fare rules at least for SQ CX CI and some others. Change of flight is foc until Aug or something

I wonder if it will go towards this trend for all airlines eventually.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:30 pm

Update: Close in award availability from the US to Japan (next 2 weeks) is excellent even in First and Business for multiple travelers. A side effect of many cancellations no doubt. Many obviously fear traveling now but for the adventurous family this may be useful.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Update: Close in award availability from the US to Japan (next 2 weeks) is excellent even in First and Business for multiple travelers. A side effect of many cancellations no doubt. Many obviously fear traveling now but for the adventurous family this may be useful.
For those who want to see cherry blossoms, this is definitely the year to go. I suspect it will still be crowded but probably much less so than normal.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
For those who want to see cherry blossoms, this is definitely the year to go. I suspect it will still be crowded but probably much less so than normal.
Yes, it is great for the risk takers. Hotels during this time must also be hit hard too!
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:21 pm

Was able to cancel a NRT-SIN award with out penalty yesterday night. The original flight departure was on 3/30/2020.
2 tickets were booked without status and 2 were booked with MVPG. Originally thought that we would have to cough up for the cancellation fee, but alas it was only the non-refunable partner deposit that we had to forfeit.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:09 pm

Decided to book for early 2021 since it seems like I would be able to cancel without a fee. Booked in Y and J for the return and can't seem to select seats. Is that new?
Old May 7, 2020, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Sandeep1
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Yes, it is great for the risk takers. Hotels during this time must also be hit hard too!
They’re not going to let you on the flight. I would say “banning every foreign national who has been in the United States in the last fourteen days from entry to Japan” puts you at some risk of not seeing any cherry blossoms.

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/
https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html

Foreign nationals categorized below are denied permission to enter Japan for the time being, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

(1) Foreign nationals who have stayed in any of the areas listed in the following table within 14 days prior to the application for landing.

North America: Canada, United States
I’m going to take a stab and say “I want to see cherry blossoms and got an AS JL F redemption” isn’t the circumstance they are looking for. Given that the airline that takes you to Japan is responsible for taking you back if you are denied entry, and foreign national tourists from the US are denied entry... they're not going to bother to transport you.

And even if it was... two weeks quarantine (see section 2, part 2). Kinda kills your vacation if you ask me.

Stay home.

(I killed a JL F trip to Japan and China in about a week some time ago because it was pretty obvious the US was about to become Plague Central. I wouldn’t count on that US passport letting you go places anytime soon. I won’t send this to OMNI, but I suspect our response to this pandemic will be weighed and found wanting by other countries when it comes to the ability of Americans to travel this summer, possibly longer.)

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 8, 2020 at 12:45 am
Old May 22, 2020, 4:48 am
P_S

I have been monitoring Alaska's website to book a JAL F for next year and I have noticed a change in pattern as no longer 2 F awards tickets are bookable as soon as the calendar opens.
I am able to see some JAL F award space on AA and on Qantas when is T-330 days, however I find none though the website and when calling Alaska.
Has anyone been able to book JAL F lately for a trip next year?
Has anyone noticed this pattern change as well?
not2017 likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 5:04 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by P_S
I have been monitoring Alaska's website to book a JAL F for next year and I have noticed a change in pattern as no longer 2 F awards tickets are bookable as soon as the calendar opens.
I am able to see some JAL F award space on AA and on Qantas when is T-330 days, however I find none though the website and when calling Alaska.

I notice that it only happened starting from April 1st.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by P_S
AS is definitely blocking booking new JL F awards in April of next year. If you want to go in February - no problem.

Of course it is more difficult in general since JL releases award space at 360 days out and programs that support booking further out than 330 days have a definite advantage over AS to begin with. But, in general, AS has shown a pattern of restricting JL F awards for a while during the first few days of schedule open and now their blocking is getting more flagrant. I would guess once they join OneWorld they will not have an excuse to block these awards any longer but I'm pretty sure by then they will have significantly devalued the JL F awards so they will be happy to make them available without restriction at that time.
not2017 likes this.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by P_S
I was able to get 2 F seats on LAX-HND at the end of March about 2 weeks ago but I haven't seen any F seats appear yet for my planned return in April.
Old May 29, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
AS is definitely blocking booking new JL F awards in April of next year. If you want to go in February - no problem.

Of course it is more difficult in general since JL releases award space at 360 days out and programs that support booking further out than 330 days have a definite advantage over AS to begin with. But, in general, AS has shown a pattern of restricting JL F awards for a while during the first few days of schedule open and now their blocking is getting more flagrant. I would guess once they join OneWorld they will not have an excuse to block these awards any longer but I'm pretty sure by then they will have significantly devalued the JL F awards so they will be happy to make them available without restriction at that time.
I don't know how significantly they can get away with devaluing them. AS's J awards for JAL are already in line with AA, and AA only charges 10k more than AS for F.
Old May 29, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
I don't know how significantly they can get away with devaluing them. AS's J awards for JAL are already in line with AA, and AA only charges 10k more than AS for F.
I would be happy to wrong on this. I hope you are right.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:00 pm

Spoke with a phone rep today trying to book 2F seats between Tokyo and the US in April. Same thing as others noted: availability on Qantas or AA, but nothing on AS for April. He said that's not surprising. March is wide open, but to check back in June for April availability. Take it FWIW, but if true that means JAL F availability with AS isn't released until closer to 300 days out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.