Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
As an Alaska MVP Gold member who booked a VX main cabin ticket, is there any difference in checking in for the flight on Alaska's website vs Virgin's? A better/worse chance of upgrade on check-in?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 10:15 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
First time I have ever gotten an email telling me a flight tomorrow may be oversold and asking to "click here" if I would volunteer to take a different flight for "at least" a $250 travel credit.

Questions:

a) Is this potential VDB list ordered like United's (e.g., the higher the higher the status the higher on the bump list?) Or is it whoever rushes the podium the fastest when the announcement that VDB's are indeed needed is made?
b) Do gate agents have the power to move you to a different arriving-city flight (e.g., from OAK to SFO)?
c) That "at least" language is intriguing: does that mean that the bidding starts at $250?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
First time I have ever gotten an email telling me a flight tomorrow may be oversold and asking to "click here" if I would volunteer to take a different flight for "at least" a $250 travel credit.

Questions:

a) Is this potential VDB list ordered like United's (e.g., the higher the higher the status the higher on the bump list?) Or is it whoever rushes the podium the fastest when the announcement that VDB's are indeed needed is made?
b) Do gate agents have the power to move you to a different arriving-city flight (e.g., from OAK to SFO)?
c) That "at least" language is intriguing: does that mean that the bidding starts at $250?
I got one of these about a month ago, although mine was worded slightly different. I had to call in order to take the bump. I called in right away and took the voucher. They booked me on the flight of my choice the following day and gave me a hotel as well. My flight was just a PDX-SEA hop so I was quite happy to take the $300. And it was a voucher that went into my wallet; it wasn’t a discount code. And yes, the agents have the power to reroute, although I don’t know what the rules are. I went from PDX-SEA-YVR to a direct PDX-YVR (and got ORC as well). My email said:

We're looking for volunteers to take an alternate flight in exchange for a $300 discount on future travel.
If you are interested in this offer, please contact us at 1-800-252-7522. You will be rebooked on the next available flight to your destination, at no additional charge.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: AA ex-EXP LT PLT, AS 75K, B6 Mosaic, HH D, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
As an Alaska MVP Gold member who booked a VX main cabin ticket, is there any difference in checking in for the flight on Alaska's website vs Virgin's? A better/worse chance of upgrade on check-in?
The way that it works is that if you booked on AS, as soon as you booked your flight, you would either call or to go to the VX website to tick the box to "opt in" for the request to Main Cabin Select. If you wanted to try and snag the upgrade to F, you could do so at 24 hours prior to flight time on the VX website during check-in. Those options are not available on the AS website.

As we get closer to the last date for VX flights, the process still shows up under MVP Gold Flight Benefits. I don't expect it to change until 25th April.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...efits/mvp-gold

If you booked on VX, you should manage your flight and check-in with VX.

Hope that helped.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
When did D Gates at SeaTac get fancy new security scanner and precheck? I always went to B, because D was awful, but today walked right through and quickly got to D1 for my IND flight (where I was then pressed up against the wall because that hallway is too small).
Originally Posted by rune87
Thats always been the case at SeaTac. Split gates, one for General, one Pre-Check only. Now the Precheck one has some funky hours, but nothing had changed. I'm on an early am flight tomorrow so I'll look as well.
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
This was checkpoint 5. I've been through there once or twice before, and they didn't have full PreCheck at the time: they gave you a card that said "expedited screening" and then you got to use the metal detector instead of the body scanner iirc.

Yesterday, they had new, larger bins that automatically recycled themselves and moved your stuff through the checkpoint, and that was in addition to a dedicated PreCheck line.

It does have a different arrangement now (at least when I went through on Friday). It looks like BOTH checkpoint 4&5 are Precheck ONLY. The tso at the line was sending all non-precheck pax to checkpoint 3.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DaWhirledTraveller
The way that it works is that if you booked on AS, as soon as you booked your flight, you would either call or to go to the VX website to tick the box to "opt in" for the request to Main Cabin Select. If you wanted to try and snag the upgrade to F, you could do so at 24 hours prior to flight time on the VX website during check-in. Those options are not available on the AS website.

As we get closer to the last date for VX flights, the process still shows up under MVP Gold Flight Benefits. I don't expect it to change until 25th April.

If you booked on VX, you should manage your flight and check-in with VX.

Hope that helped.
It did, thanks. I called AS to try and opt-in, but was told that because I wasn't MVP Gold when I booked, but got the status after booking, they couldn't do anything. Which after reading the forum more, it seems like this information might have been incorrect? I'll blame it on the AS/VX merger dysfunction I guess.

As a loyal VX flyer, I hate to see the brand go away, but I'm looking forward to these kinks going away.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone ever had any luck getting AS to credit a Christmas/New Years RT to a single status year?

We're looking at flying to Europe on ICE in late December and coming back in early January, and wondering if there's any chance of getting the entire trip credited either to 2018 or 2019 for the purposes of status.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by atourgates
Has anyone ever had any luck getting AS to credit a Christmas/New Years RT to a single status year?

We're looking at flying to Europe on ICE in late December and coming back in early January, and wondering if there's any chance of getting the entire trip credited either to 2018 or 2019 for the purposes of status.
No - you only receive the flight credit in the year that you fly. In your example you would receive elite
miles for both 2018 and then 2019.

You could always *try* and *hope for the best* but even if you succeeded .. Alaska is known for retroactively going back, correcting their mistakes, and reducing people’s status and revoking benefits. I don’t think it’s worth the risk.

mb
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by extreme_panda
It did, thanks. I called AS to try and opt-in, but was told that because I wasn't MVP Gold when I booked, but got the status after booking, they couldn't do anything. Which after reading the forum more, it seems like this information might have been incorrect? I'll blame it on the AS/VX merger dysfunction I guess.
That doesn't sound right. Maybe the opt in option won't appear but they should be able to to opt you in (or go through one of the remaining VX support agents).

I'd call in and ask them to remove your FF# from the reservation, thank them and hang up. Give it a couple of minutes to allow the agent to exit the reservation and either readd it on the website or call back for a second agent to do it. See if that updates your status.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:44 pm

Quick question - needing to cancel a First Class (booked P class) ticket and I'm wondering:

1. Canceled ticket is for a non-elite flyer.
2. If I select the "Emailed the cancelled ticket numbers to use later to retrieve value" option - and I reuse in future to book travel for gold or 75k flyer itent, will the $125 fee be waived?

Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by rlsmith658
Quick question - needing to cancel a First Class (booked P class) ticket and I'm wondering:

1. Canceled ticket is for a non-elite flyer.
2. If I select the "Emailed the cancelled ticket numbers to use later to retrieve value" option - and I reuse in future to book travel for gold or 75k flyer itent, will the $125 fee be waived?

Thank you in advance!
Yes, if the original flyer becomes the Gold or 75K prior to changing the cancelled ticket to funds, though it may require a call to waive the fee. No, if the original flyer remains no status or MVP and Gold/75K is a different person.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AP, BA, AS, UA, WS
The first leg of my 2-leg revenue ticket was rescheduled (looks like the flight I booked was cancelled), so they rebooked me on a flight 2 hours later. I looked and saw there were a few other AS options for the same route including one only 5 minutes different than the original. Called in, agent was able to rebook me, got confirmation e-mail and can see the reservation online fine.

The weird thing is that I booked the first leg in Main in like some fare like K/T/R, but the current ticket has it as Y. Second leg remained the same (Main, one of K/T/R) as originally booked. So, can I look forward to earning 50% bonus miles for the first leg?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Another, potentially dumb question: I have an AA-marketed, AS-operated ticket. Should I credit this to AS? How can I determine the corresponding fare class in this case?

Per MileagePlan site, it describes the AA-operated/AS-plated scenario, but not the reverse.

You'll still earn miles on domestic American Airlines flights with an Alaska Airlines (AS) flight number, and on all American international flights.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by YKMV
The weird thing is that I booked the first leg in Main in like some fare like K/T/R, but the current ticket has it as Y. Second leg remained the same (Main, one of K/T/R) as originally booked. So, can I look forward to earning 50% bonus miles for the first leg?
Been there, done that, you will earn based on the original booking class.

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Another, potentially dumb question: I have an AA-marketed, AS-operated ticket. Should I credit this to AS? How can I determine the corresponding fare class in this case?

Per MileagePlan site, it describes the AA-operated/AS-plated scenario, but not the reverse.
It should earn at least 100%
YKMV likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
It should earn at least 100%
Has anyone had any actual experience with this? During 2017, AA codeshare AS operated flights credited according to the AA chart and potentially received less than 100% based on the AA fare class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.