Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 2:51 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
When I search on the website for the "MVP Gold" upgrade fare, I get the screenshot below. However, when I go through the process, the only selectable seats are in coach and the next-to-final screen still has the usual verbiage asking if I want to be waitlisted for a complimentary upgrade.

There are two pax on the potential itinerary but my understanding is that the MVP Gold upgrade fare allows MVP Golds two pax to be upgraded.

But why is it only showing coach seat selection? Never tried to purchase this sort of fare on the web before. Thanks!

Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
When I search on the website for the "MVP Gold" upgrade fare, I get the screenshot below. However, when I go through the process, the only selectable seats are in coach and the next-to-final screen still has the usual verbiage asking if I want to be waitlisted for a complimentary upgrade.

There are two pax on the potential itinerary but my understanding is that the MVP Gold upgrade fare allows MVP Golds two pax to be upgraded.

But why is it only showing coach seat selection? Never tried to purchase this sort of fare on the web before. Thanks!

It's showing the coach seats because it's still a coach fare (YSB or M). Once purchased with one of the parties with status, the upgrade processor should run and move you into U and First. I last did this about four months ago so I can't remember if it showed the upgrade immediately after purchased or I had to go to it under My Trips and select the new seats, but the receipt shows U so it processed almost right away.

Without status, you'll still be in coach, just with a CoS bonus.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge

But why is it only showing coach seat selection? Never tried to purchase this sort of fare on the web before. Thanks!...
You are technically buying a coach fare that will be upgraded to F (given U space still available) after you purchase. When I do this I don't bother to select coach seats during the purchase process. I make sure that I click the "Yes, request a complimentary upgrade" option and check the "Upgrade to First Class if available" box on the final Purchase screen.

After you click Purchase the next screen will hopefully show you both in First, U class. Seats in F may or may not have been selected for you -- have had both happen. If the system doesn't let you select F seats you may have to call is as I have the last couple of times. A phone rep should be able to help you get the seats you want if they are still available.

It looks like U space was available when you posted (blue box with white F) but be sure to check again before you go through the purchase process. And yes, with one Gold on the itinerary you can upgrade 2 people.

Good luck!

Looks like rustykettel beat me by a mile. That's what I get for watching TV while posting.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
This morning I was trying to change an award ticket that was otz->anc. According to AS website there should be no fee as it wholly within the State of Alaska. The website was trying to make me pay $125 to change it.

I assume this was just a glitch on the website?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bta15
This morning I was trying to change an award ticket that was otz->anc. According to AS website there should be no fee as it wholly within the State of Alaska. The website was trying to make me pay $125 to change it.

I assume this was just a glitch on the website?
I think you do have to call to have it waived. That wording only shows under cash reservations though, it isn't mentioned on award reservations. But since it's shown on their Optional Services and Fees page it would be hard for them to argue that it doesn't apply towards award reservations.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My thanks to you both!

Wish someone would create the same Chrome extension for the AS website that @sbm12 created for UA's that shows all fare buckets.

Originally Posted by rustykettel

It's showing the coach seats because it's still a coach fare (YSB or M). Once purchased with one of the parties with status, the upgrade processor should run and move you into U and First. I last did this about four months ago so I can't remember if it showed the upgrade immediately after purchased or I had to go to it under My Trips and select the new seats, but the receipt shows U so it processed almost right away.

Without status, you'll still be in coach, just with a CoS bonus.

Old Apr 12, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Have BA Club Europe awards always sold as premium economy? Is this a tongue-in-check jab at BA for having a terrible euro business class?
I was looking to book SEA-LHR-NCE on BA and was seeing "mixed cabin" as usual. But when I clicked it, it showed the following:
SEA-LHR - Business
LHR-NCE - Premium Economy

The A320 used for BA does not have premium economy according to EF.

Not bad for a "mixed cabin" ^

I swear that I remember seeing euro business sold as "business" in the past, but it has been a while since I booked a BA award.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:55 pm

When did D Gates at SeaTac get fancy new security scanner and precheck? I always went to B, because D was awful, but today walked right through and quickly got to D1 for my IND flight (where I was then pressed up against the wall because that hallway is too small).
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders
When did D Gates at SeaTac get fancy new security scanner and precheck? I always went to B, because D was awful, but today walked right through and quickly got to D1 for my IND flight (where I was then pressed up against the wall because that hallway is too small).
Was the fancy security scanner a CLEAR machine? Or something else?
There are 5 security checkpoints at SEA (+1 at the S terminal for int'l connections) – https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...tsa-wait-times. The D gates have always had two checkpoints (4&5) - one was ONLY precheck and one for premium+general. Has this changed?

I'm flying out of SEA tomorrow. I'm curious now.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Thats always been the case at SeaTac. Split gates, one for General, one Pre-Check only. Now the Precheck one has some funky hours, but nothing had changed. I'm on an early am flight tomorrow so I'll look as well.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
So - here's one. I'm booking HNL-LAX-DXB-HYD-DXB-SFO-HNL on EK stock with the HNL-Mainland segments on AS.

I have a wedding to go to when I return to SFO and will not fly the final segment as booked - no stopovers are allowed on the ticket, therefore I can't book a flight more than 24 hours from arrival in SFO. AS only operates once per day here, there is no "same day change" flight to change to.

Would I be able to use my 75K privileges to get credit for the un-flown SFO-HNL segment?

Last edited by Metanoia; Apr 12, 2018 at 10:17 pm Reason: For clarity
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Metanoia
So - here's one. I'm booking HNL-LAX-DXB-HYD-DXB-SFO-HNL on EK stock with the HNL-Mainland segments on AS.

I have a wedding to go to when I return to SFO. Since no stopovers are allowed on the ticket in "Area 1", I can't stay more than 24 hours and AS only operates once per day here, can't just take the next day's flight. Would I be able to use my 75K privileges to get credit for the un-flown SFO-HNL segment?
Nvm I think I mis understood the question
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

Nvm I think I mis understood the question
I edited it for clarity, hopefully that helps.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Metanoia

I have a wedding to go to when I return to SFO and will not fly the final segment as booked - no stopovers are allowed on the ticket, therefore I can't book a flight more than 24 hours from arrival in SFO. AS only operates once per day here, there is no "same day change" flight to change to.

Would I be able to use my 75K privileges to get credit for the un-flown SFO-HNL segment?
The benefit applies to tickets on AS stock only. It may also trigger a reprice as its likely EK HYD-HNL fare, AS cannot make changes to reservation booked through EK. It may be best to just no-show the last segment unless the EK change fee and fare difference saves you money. Some of the sample dates I looked at EK HYD-SFO is $500 cheaper than HYD-HNL so may be worth contracting emirates.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 13, 2018 at 8:00 am
Old Apr 13, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sturges
Was the fancy security scanner a CLEAR machine? Or something else?
There are 5 security checkpoints at SEA (+1 at the S terminal for int'l connections) – https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...tsa-wait-times. The D gates have always had two checkpoints (4&5) - one was ONLY precheck and one for premium+general. Has this changed?

I'm flying out of SEA tomorrow. I'm curious now.
This was checkpoint 5. I've been through there once or twice before, and they didn't have full PreCheck at the time: they gave you a card that said "expedited screening" and then you got to use the metal detector instead of the body scanner iirc.

Yesterday, they had new, larger bins that automatically recycled themselves and moved your stuff through the checkpoint, and that was in addition to a dedicated PreCheck line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.