Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Hmmm...

Is it possible then for a return flight to be credited before an outbound?

I've gotten our miles for the return (tickets booked as two one-ways), but not for the outbound. For the outbound all I have is the BP which says it is W, and I honestly got the tickets sooo long ago I can't remember if we paid cash or used miles. But if you say W is for a paid ticket, then I guess I have to submit for credit.

Update: I just looked in my old e-mails and found the original - it WAS a mileage ticket, mystery solved
oh yea, sorry I meant to say W is saver award
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
oh yea, sorry I meant to say W is saver award
Uh...thanks?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Last week a friend offered to let me use one of his $99 companion passes (it was from his Alaska biz card). He sent me the code and I booked my tickets with it on my account. It worked fine and I got the $99 companion ticket. I've now come to realize that Alaska says the companion pass must be used by the person who it was issued to, i.e., my friend should've booked my ticket for me.

So I'm wondering—is that rule not enforced? Is there a new policy?

I have the reservation confirmation, so I don't see how anything could go wrong at this point. Maybe I (or my friend) is at risk of getting in trouble with Alaska for not using the companion pass as the terms suggest?

Thanks for any help!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by rtmf
Hi everyone,

Last week a friend offered to let me use one of his $99 companion passes (it was from his Alaska biz card). He sent me the code and I booked my tickets with it on my account. It worked fine and I got the $99 companion ticket. I've now come to realize that Alaska says the companion pass must be used by the person who it was issued to, i.e., my friend should've booked my ticket for me.

So I'm wondering—is that rule not enforced? Is there a new policy?

I have the reservation confirmation, so I don't see how anything could go wrong at this point. Maybe I (or my friend) is at risk of getting in trouble with Alaska for not using the companion pass as the terms suggest?

Thanks for any help!
It's been awhile since I messed with it, but in the past, IIRC, the system did generate an error when trying to book if the last names didn't match. So if you've gotten past that point and it let you book, I think you should be good to go...I really don't think there's any sort of mechanism whereby AS could notice and/or do anything to the ticket now.

Edit: just thought of something...is your friend the second person on the ticket? I.e. you booked and paid but he's on it? That could be why it worked...the rules require that he either be the person paying or one of the travelers, so even if you paid, as long as his last name is one of the travelers, it'd be completely legit.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Is there any airline's lounge that is accessible from the AS gate(s) at BOS?

Not very familiar at all with BOS.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Is there any airline's lounge that is accessible from the AS gate(s) at BOS?

Not very familiar at all with BOS.
Nope, though if you have priority pass, you press your luck and use the BP to enter the Jetblue gates (unless you get a TSO on a power trip) but be prepared to walk quite a bit. One lounge is by C19 and 2 others way down in E (accessible from jetblue gates in C.)
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by jackal
just thought of something...is your friend the second person on the ticket? I.e. you booked and paid but he's on it? That could be why it worked...the rules require that he either be the person paying or one of the travelers, so even if you paid, as long as his last name is one of the travelers, it'd be completely legit.
Nope, friend is not on the itinerary at all, nor do we have the same last name, or anything like that. I'm going to try another fight with another one of his codes...for science. If that works, I might try and find another person willing to let me try with their code, again, for science.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
AS noob question: do AA domestic segments booked on alaskaair.com earn AS miles?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notsosmart
AS noob question: do AA domestic segments booked on alaskaair.com earn AS miles?
If they're purchased as AS codeshares. Easiest way is just make sure there's an AS flight number in parentheses to the side of the AA flight number when it's in your Cart, prior to checking out.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by rustykettel
If they're purchased as AS codeshares. Easiest way is just make sure there's an AS flight number in parentheses to the side of the AA flight number when it's in your Cart, prior to checking out.
Thank you for that. I'm still a bit unclear, however, as in the cart, I get both AA and AS flight numbers.

Code:
 American 449  (Alaska 6611)
Operated by American Airlines
Check in with American Airlines
So... Which is it? It seems to me that if AS is selling the ticket, then I should earn the miles. Or am I wrong?
Old Apr 15, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by notsosmart
Thank you for that. I'm still a bit unclear, however, as in the cart, I get both AA and AS flight numbers.

Code:
American 449 (Alaska 6611)
Operated by American Airlines
Check in with American Airlines

So... Which is it? It seems to me that if AS is selling the ticket, then I should earn the miles. Or am I wrong?
^ Yes, that's what you want to see. AA flight number with AS flight number in paranetheses to the side. That's a AS codeshare of an AA operated flight and does earn AS miles.

AS will sell segments on other airlines on an AS ticket that do not earn on AS, such as DL segments to select destinations. I *think* but am not positive that non-codeshare AA flights have to purchased via an AS phone agent.
notsosmart likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I *think* but am not positive that non-codeshare AA flights have to purchased via an AS phone agent.
That's what I originally thought, i found example that contradicts my prior claim. You can get an AA codes using the AS site but you will know before adding to the cart because they are full F/Y only and will be extremely expensive, some cases close to $1500 for short leg in coach. I believe it only comes up on multi city.
notsosmart likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^ Yes, that's what you want to see. AA flight number with AS flight number in paranetheses to the side. That's a AS codeshare of an AA operated flight and does earn AS miles.

AS will sell segments on other airlines on an AS ticket that do not earn on AS, such as DL segments to select destinations. I *think* but am not positive that non-codeshare AA flights have to purchased via an AS phone agent.
That's what I originally thought, i found example that contradicts my prior claim. You can get an AA codes using the AS site but you will know before adding to the cart because they are full F/Y only and will be extremely expensive, some cases close to $1500 for short leg in coach. I believe it only comes up on multi city.
Cool, thank you guys. I'll feel better about joining the Plan now. My current homebase is IND, and obviously that's not ideal for AS connections, but with AA codeshares I can make it work.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
The benefit applies to tickets on AS stock only. It may also trigger a reprice as its likely EK HYD-HNL fare, AS cannot make changes to reservation booked through EK. It may be best to just no-show the last segment unless the EK change fee and fare difference saves you money. Some of the sample dates I looked at EK HYD-SFO is $500 cheaper than HYD-HNL so may be worth contracting emirates.
How about if the final AS segment is booked in revenue F bucket, but on EK stock on an overall "O" (Business Saver) fare?

I guess at that point elite status doesn't matter and its the terms of the actual ticket. Not sure which overrides - rule of the fare based on ticket stock or rule of the operating carrier. If it were AS stock it'd be a fully flexible F ticket and I could do whatever I wanted with it.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Metanoia
How about if the final AS segment is booked in revenue F bucket, but on EK stock on an overall "O" (Business Saver) fare?

I guess at that point elite status doesn't matter and its the terms of the actual ticket. Not sure which overrides - rule of the fare based on ticket stock or rule of the operating carrier. If it were AS stock it'd be a fully flexible F ticket and I could do whatever I wanted with it.
Ticketing carrier owns the ticket. The ticketing carriers fare rules apply. so you cannot take advantage of the AS change/cancel fee waiver. Its sold as an EK ticket that happens to allow some legs to be operated on AS vs buying a combo ticket with separate AS and EK fares combined into one end-on-end.
Metanoia likes this.

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 16, 2018 at 6:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.