Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:41 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
You must repent for flying UA. Then Chester will relent
Well, a tiny little fraction of those lifetime UA miles are courtesy of AS

Mostly Horizon from my SEA-YYJ flights when AS did not yet fly to IAH so flew with CO, and of course when post merger UA was really floundering and during irrops would end up flying AS on my 016 UA ticket.

And yes, in a couple of weeks will fly my second lifetime AS purchased flight and first time crediting to AS instead of AA.
beckoa likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by CDKing
Whats the double miles promo?
*To qualify for this promotion, members must register by October 31, 2017, and prior to their first qualifying flight. Registered members will receive the double base miles earned on economy fares booked in Q, O, N, S, V, M, L, G, K, H, B, and Y class of service. Double miles offer is valid only on qualifying paid flights between Dallas (DFW), New York - Kennedy (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), or Vancouver, BC (YVR) and Sydney (SYD), and between Los Angeles (LAX) and Brisbane (BNE), Melbourne (MEL), or Sydney (SYD) from November 1, 2017, through May 31, 2018. All travel must be completed by May 31, 2018. Flights must be marketed and operated by Qantas. Flights must be flown in the eligible economy classes of service listed above. Flight miles must be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account in order to earn double miles. Not valid on free or award travel. Double miles do not count toward Mileage Plan elite status. Please allow four to six weeks for miles to be credited to your Mileage Plan account. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by CDKing
Whats the double miles promo?
it was valid thru May 31 but registration is now closed. Since all? Qantas flights earn 100% flown miles + 75K bonus + double miles promo made these runs super sweet !
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Can anyone please tell me how to book and upgrade a transcon flight on AS? I have no idea as a MVP how to work the system and frankly the effort does not seem worth efforting much further. (With VX Elevate Gold, you would purchase a coach main cabin fare and reliably be able to pay additional $240 to get F within 24 hours of departure.)

All I know is that AS is very friendly, but the premium product sucks and seems to be getting worse. AS has proceeded to strip the very things I loved paying a premium price for with VX.

Now, I can't garner enough info on their own alaskaair site or here on FT to figure out if its worth considering for future travel when other offerings like AA and DL excel beyond.

I also see that AS has stripped out much of the saver 25K first class award availability for everywhere I would want to travel.. The lowest threshold redemption for F is 60K now consistently which makes the miles for Mileage Plan or whatever its called not very valuable for transcon flights which is what I would use them for most.

Additionally, the JFK terminal 7 is an unfortunate [redacted] of an environment feeling more like intentional punishment. Alaska Airlines JFK Terminal 7 would easily earn the award for crappiest experience of terminals at JFK and certainly at any in the US airport I have visited in the last 5 years.

Is there a lounge at JFK Terminal 7? Is TSA Precheck turned on yet? Why wasn't anyone at AS more proactive to think about this basic stuff?

Is AS intentionally trying to drive away high value spenders who want more than this or is the leadership just incapable in advancing common competitive standards and checked out of what customers want?

Whatever the case may be, it's working.

I am struggling to find a reason to continue any business with AS.

What am I missing?

Last edited by jackal; May 9, 2018 at 3:35 pm Reason: Redacting per https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:26 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Can anyone please tell me how to book and upgrade a transcon flight on AS? I have no idea as a MVP how to work the system and frankly the effort does not seem worth efforting much further. (With VX Elevate Gold, you would purchase a coach main cabin fare and reliably be able to pay additional $240 to get F within 24 hours of departure.)

All I know is that AS is very friendly, but the premium product sucks and seems to be getting worse. AS has proceeded to strip the very things I loved paying a premium price for with VX.

Now, I can't garner enough info on their own alaskaair site or here on FT to figure out if its worth considering for future travel when other offerings like AA and DL excel beyond.

I also see that AS has stripped out much of the saver 25K first class award availability for everywhere I would want to travel.. The lowest threshold redemption for F is 60K now consistently which makes the miles for Mileage Plan or whatever its called not very valuable for transcon flights which is what I would use them for most.

Additionally, the JFK terminal 7 is an unfortunate [redacted] of an environment feeling more like intentional punishment. Alaska Airlines JFK Terminal 7 would easily earn the award for crappiest experience of terminals at JFK and certainly at any in the US airport I have visited in the last 5 years.

Is there a lounge at JFK Terminal 7? Is TSA Precheck turned on yet? Why wasn't anyone at AS more proactive to think about this basic stuff?

Is AS intentionally trying to drive away high value spenders who want more than this or is the leadership just incapable in advancing common competitive standards and checked out of what customers want?

Whatever the case may be, it's working.

I am struggling to find a reason to continue any business with AS.

What am I missing?
Two paths to an upgrade as an MVP, both are easy and don't really require gaming the system. Option one, book an instant upgrade fare. To do this go to the Alaska site, click "all search options", put in the flight info you want and on the right under "upgrade type" select MVP. In the search results you'll see a little F in a square box, if its blue then you'll be instantly upgraded to first class at the fare shown. If it shows white then upgrade space is not currently available. Second option is just to wait until T48 and hope for a free instant upgrade, but these can be hard as to get as an MVP on trans-con flights (not impossible though).

I can't comment on the saver first awards. I typically use my miles for international First and Business class flights which will get you a much better redemption value. Example 60k miles will get you business class on Cathay one way to Australia with a stopover in Hong Kong if you'd like. Obliviously I don't know if international awards are of interest to you.

Terminal 7 does suck, but the Alaska lounge opens today, April 30th so that's a step in the right direction. TSA pre-check doesn't have a separate line, but they will let you keep your shoes on (big woop). lol

Last edited by jackal; May 9, 2018 at 3:36 pm Reason: Editing quote of redacted material
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: LH FTL
First Award Routing Ideas on JAL or CX

Hello dear Alaska friends!

I want to spend some Alaska Miles to fly F ... not that unusual I guess... ;-)
I would like to take a flight from US or Canada (flexible on departure) and stopover in HKG or TYO and then continue as close as possible to Europe.
Can anyone recommend a flight that does still count as 'asia' for the award but gets close back to Europe?

Any hint appreciated!
Thanks
FlyDUS
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Hello dear Alaska friends!

I want to spend some Alaska Miles to fly F ... not that unusual I guess... ;-)
I would like to take a flight from US or Canada (flexible on departure) and stopover in HKG or TYO and then continue as close as possible to Europe.
Can anyone recommend a flight that does still count as 'asia' for the award but gets close back to Europe?

Any hint appreciated!
Thanks
FlyDUS
For JL award through TYO closest to Europe is DEL.
For CX awrd through HKG, I think someone said TLV counts as Middle East but i believe business class is highest cabin past HKG.

Otherwise only option Asia to Europe is a separate CX HKG-Europe award
FlyDUS likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: LH FTL
Thanks!
TLV would be fabolous - adding another ~ 11h flight to the trip. And from there its easy to get back to central Europe. I guess AUH / DXB would work as well. Do they fly F to those destinations?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Thanks!
TLV would be fabolous - adding another ~ 11h flight to the trip. And from there its easy to get back to central Europe. I guess AUH / DXB would work as well. Do they fly F to those destinations?
DXB is J only. Europe and North America are the only regions with F still.
FlyDUS likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:35 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Is there a lounge at JFK Terminal 7? Is TSA Precheck turned on yet?
The new JFK lounge opened today. It is being discussed in the last few posts in this thread:
AS (and VX) Moved to T7 at JFK; New Alaska Lounge (April, 2018)

If you have a paper boarding pass with precheck on it, you'll be allowed to keep your shoes on, but that's about it. I haven't been through since March, but haven't seen any reports of changes there since my visit.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:48 am

Has anyone had any experience with booking a companion pass and changing it further out, outside the 330 days? Im asking because I did the first extension as far I could to the right. Now that the date is approaching we wanted to take a trip that is past that original 330 day window. I went online to Alaska website to modify that booking and it is allowing be to get right up to the last confirm purchase page for a trip that would essentially be a double extension (by about 55 days).

Would it be possible that it would let me book the ticket but then as we try to check in, companion ticket would show invalid? Thoughts?

Thanks all.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kkwong5
Has anyone had any experience with booking a companion pass and changing it further out, outside the 330 days? Im asking because I did the first extension as far I could to the right. Now that the date is approaching we wanted to take a trip that is past that original 330 day window. I went online to Alaska website to modify that booking and it is allowing be to get right up to the last confirm purchase page for a trip that would essentially be a double extension (by about 55 days).

Would it be possible that it would let me book the ticket but then as we try to check in, companion ticket would show invalid? Thoughts?

Thanks all.
You asked the same question and received an answer from the best possible person here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...re-faq-16.html. Trust him.

Also, I realize you are new (and welcome to FT, by the way), but cross posting the same question more than once is not only frowned upon, it is also not permitted. I have alerted a moderator to merge this but they may leave it here to point you back to your original post. You get more (and better) responses by sticking to one thread.
beltway and pbelmore like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Thank you! Very helpful!

Originally Posted by T2A
Two paths to an upgrade as an MVP, both are easy and don't really require gaming the system. Option one, book an instant upgrade fare. To do this go to the Alaska site, click "all search options", put in the flight info you want and on the right under "upgrade type" select MVP. In the search results you'll see a little F in a square box, if its blue then you'll be instantly upgraded to first class at the fare shown. If it shows white then upgrade space is not currently available. Second option is just to wait until T48 and hope for a free instant upgrade, but these can be hard as to get as an MVP on trans-con flights (not impossible though).

I can't comment on the saver first awards. I typically use my miles for international First and Business class flights which will get you a much better redemption value. Example 60k miles will get you business class on Cathay one way to Australia with a stopover in Hong Kong if you'd like. Obliviously I don't know if international awards are of interest to you.

Terminal 7 does suck, but the Alaska lounge opens today, April 30th so that's a step in the right direction. TSA pre-check doesn't have a separate line, but they will let you keep your shoes on (big woop). lol
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:00 pm

Alaska Elite Status

Hi all - I'm new to this process and have read about "mileage runs", however, do you actually have board the flight? I've been having a discussion with a coworker who claims he was able to upgrade to Elite status by simply purchasing several long-distance flights but not actually boarding the plane. He checked-in to the flights but never actually boarded the plane. In essence he paid for Elite status without having to actually fly anywhere. Is this really possible?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by maverickracer
Hi all - I'm new to this process and have read about "mileage runs", however, do you actually have board the flight? I've been having a discussion with a coworker who claims he was able to upgrade to Elite status by simply purchasing several long-distance flights but not actually boarding the plane. He checked-in to the flights but never actually boarded the plane. In essence he paid for Elite status without having to actually fly anywhere. Is this really possible?
Absolutely not. If your boarding pass isn't scanned by the GA before the door closes, you're a no-show, so the rest of your itinerary is canceled and you receive zero mileage credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.