Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by maverickracer
Hi all - I'm new to this process and have read about "mileage runs", however, do you actually have board the flight? I've been having a discussion with a coworker who claims he was able to upgrade to Elite status by simply purchasing several long-distance flights but not actually boarding the plane. He checked-in to the flights but never actually boarded the plane. In essence he paid for Elite status without having to actually fly anywhere. Is this really possible?
New to MP, but from my experience with the other MP (United, Plus, not Plan), your ticket will be cancelled and forfeited as soon as you do not scan your boarding pass.

There is a way to purchase MP (Plan, not that familiar with Plus yet) miles and qualifying miles, but you'd have to head over to UA forum @:-)

Maybe AS has something like that as well, but someone more familiar with this program would have to chime in.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

My apologies, I didn't realize that the person who responded was the resident guru. Also, I'll keep it to one string. Thanks for letting me know.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kkwong5
My apologies, I didn't realize that the person who responded was the resident guru. Also, I'll keep it to one string. Thanks for letting me know.
No apology necessary. That’s what this newbie, flame-free forum is for. I was just trying to gently get you started in the right direction. Even though you have been a member for quite a few years, you haven’t posted a lot. You will find the folks here in the Alaska forum among the very best that Flyertalk has to offer, especially Beckoa, who responded to your other thread. Stick around and don’t hesitate to ask even the simplest of questions - you will learn a lot. And hopefully contribute a bit as well as I am sure you have a lot to offer.
kkwong5 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by maverickracer
Hi all - I'm new to this process and have read about "mileage runs", however, do you actually have board the flight? I've been having a discussion with a coworker who claims he was able to upgrade to Elite status by simply purchasing several long-distance flights but not actually boarding the plane. He checked-in to the flights but never actually boarded the plane. In essence he paid for Elite status without having to actually fly anywhere. Is this really possible?
AS will catch up to your friend sooner or later and shut down the account. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
I wonder what's the breakdown of AS elite by home base.

If I have to guess: 70% SEA, 10% SFO/SJC/OAK, 10% PDX, 5% LAX/SNA, 5% all others?
Old May 1, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jacobguo
I wonder what's the breakdown of AS elite by home base.

If I have to guess: 70% SEA, 10% SFO/SJC/OAK, 10% PDX, 5% LAX/SNA, 5% all others?
There will be a good contingency from ANC too who routinely fly to SEA and LAX as well as the Hawaiian Islands. I believe there are 13 daily flight SEA-ANC. Also 6000+ miles ANC-SJO one way.

James
Old May 1, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I have a silly question to ask. I'm looking at a BOS-LAX flight in July on VX metal. What are the chances the flight could be swapped to an AS aircraft? I wouldn't be happy knowing I could have selected a 1 stop in lie flat, but instead I am stuck in a standard AS recliner. Thanks for help!
Old May 1, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I have a silly question to ask. I'm looking at a BOS-LAX flight in July on VX metal. What are the chances the flight could be swapped to an AS aircraft? I wouldn't be happy knowing I could have selected a 1 stop in lie flat, but instead I am stuck in a standard AS recliner. Thanks for help!
There shouldn't be any swaps or reconfigs for several months.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
What do folks use to keep track of any fare drops on purchased itineraries?

I'm still happily amazed that AS allows credits with any fare drop.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd

​​​​​​Google Flights.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by cblaisd

What .... wait ....

Is there a thread or Wiki on this

Not that I expect my fare to drop, but that would incentivise me to fly AS more in the future - certainly if they honor my status match request @:-)

Oddly enough, the flight I booked was $147 originally, jumped to $176 where it sat for a couple of weeks or so, only to come back to $147 with "one seat left."

Well, pulled the trigger, and price was $176 again for the next sucker .... er, customer.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid
What .... wait ....

Not that I expect my fare to drop, but that would incentivise me to fly AS more in the future - certainly if they honor my status match request @:-)
AS's info is here. I've taken advantage of it a few times, although it does reset your position on the complimentary upgrade list.

There's been some discussion here about whether this will continue after AS, as they recently said they intend to do, axes free changes at sixty or more days from departure, but there's been no official word on the matter yet.
EmailKid likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by CDKing
It should earn at least 100%
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Has anyone had any actual experience with this? During 2017, AA codeshare AS operated flights credited according to the AA chart and potentially received less than 100% based on the AA fare class.
To follow up on this: I flew my AA-plated AS flight over the weekend. I got a rather cryptic "reservation has been deleted from the app" popup message. So far no miles in account. How long does it typically take for miles to post on MileagePlan?
Old May 2, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
There shouldn't be any swaps or reconfigs for several months.
Thanks! I found something that said reconfiguring the airbus wont start until the fall. Good to know there won't be any swaps.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:05 am
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by EmailKid
What .... wait ....

Oddly enough, the flight I booked was $147 originally, jumped to $176 where it sat for a couple of weeks or so, only to come back to $147 with "one seat left."

Well, pulled the trigger, and price was $176 again for the next sucker .... er, customer.

Its pretty great. Over the last 3 months I've probably been credited back $200 from the low fare guarantee. Sad I didn't start doing this earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.