Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 10:03 pm
vji

Have an award LAX->HKG on CX in F. I'm actually departing from SFO, so I asked the reservations agent to add a segment SFO->LAX the night before. He couldn't find space in F so booked me in Y.

I have three questions:
Is F space not always available if you're adding a segment to a previous award?
The routing SFO->LAX->HKG counts as a layover, not a stopover, right? There's less than a 24-hour difference between the two flights. Thus, would I be able to book a stopover HKG->??? on CX F/J later on?
I am not gold, and the agent mentioned I used my "one" free change. So if I wanted to book a stopover later HKG->??? would I be charged a change fee?

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vji
Have an award LAX->HKG on CX in F. I'm actually departing from SFO, so I asked the reservations agent to add a segment SFO->LAX the night before. He couldn't find space in F so booked me in Y.

I have three questions:
Is F space not always available if you're adding a segment to a previous award?
The routing SFO->LAX->HKG counts as a layover, not a stopover, right? There's less than a 24-hour difference between the two flights. Thus, would I be able to book a stopover HKG->??? on CX F/J later on?
I am not gold, and the agent mentioned I used my "one" free change. So if I wanted to book a stopover later HKG->??? would I be charged a change fee?

Thanks!
1) Yes, saver award space in the particular cabin has to be available to book into that cabin. In your case, there was saver economy but not saver F.
2) Correct--it's a stopover if it's less than four hours on a domestic itinerary and less than twenty-four on an international one. So you could still book an HKG stopover.
3) Sounds like your agent was wrong. AS has announced that they're dropping the policy of free changes outside sixty days before departure, but that rule doesn't take effect until June 5th. In the meantime, you should have no trouble booking a stopover without a fee (as long as, again, you're making that change at least sixty days before your SFO-LAX departure). But after 6/5 you will be limited to one free change outside that window.
Old May 19, 2018, 2:13 am

I'm planning on booking two separate award tix. One is on AS another on KE (award).
Will AS offer baggage interline to KE?
Routing would be sjc-lax-Icn
Thanks
Old May 19, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaiotes
I'm planning on booking two separate award tix. One is on AS another on KE (award).
Will AS offer baggage interline to KE?
Routing would be sjc-lax-Icn
Thanks
You only need to book one award. The KE LAX-ICN award includes the domestic flight to the gateway city. There will need to be Saver level award space in the cabin you are flying. You could also do ICN on CX with a stopover in Hong Kong.

James
Old May 19, 2018, 10:08 am

KE award only allows flight on KE, I"m not using AS to book the ticket as they do not offer F tickets and are pricier.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Do Golds and 75ks take priority on standby only waitlists?
Old May 20, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by kaiotes
KE award only allows flight on KE, I"m not using AS to book the ticket as they do not offer F tickets and are pricier.
You can mix AS + KE on an award if saver space is available. Surely you can survive an hour in economy.

Originally Posted by rune87
Do Golds and 75ks take priority on standby only waitlists?
Yes, standby priority by elite status
Old May 20, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CDKing
You can mix AS + KE on an award if saver space is available. Surely you can survive an hour in economy.
He's talking about booking KE F through KE.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: HH Silver
If I use a "Customer Care" certificate, and the price goes down, can I do a BPG and get the difference refunded to my wallet?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Originally Posted by tatterdema
If I use a "Customer Care" certificate, and the price goes down, can I do a BPG and get the difference refunded to my wallet?
Yes, I’ve gotten wallet credit for price drops on tickets purchased with customer care credits. As long as the lower fare still fits the terms of the original offer, it should work. I’m not sure whether it works if the allotted booking period for the offer has already elapsed. (For elites, standard warnings apply regarding MVP upgrade priority, U space, etc.)
tatterdema likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I do not use Expertflyer but I have a question,

is somebody able to tell tell me by how much AS flight 1143 tomorrow (PHL SFO) is oversold by? Or is that only something AS knows? Thanks !
MB
Old May 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I'm trying out ExpertFlyer this week - it says F3 D3 and the rest is zeroed. I'm not sure if there is a way to display oversold...
Old May 22, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
I do not use Expertflyer but I have a question,

is somebody able to tell tell me by how much AS flight 1143 tomorrow (PHL SFO) is oversold by? Or is that only something AS knows? Thanks !
MB
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I'm trying out ExpertFlyer this week - it says F3 D3 and the rest is zeroed. I'm not sure if there is a way to display oversold...
ExpertFlyer shows GDS data which is based on available (for sale) seats. But that doesn't necessarily have any correlation to whether or not it is oversold. Only someone who works at AS could tell you how how much the flight is oversold.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Had a flight earlier three days ago whose second segment was on AA. Bought the itinerary on AS website and, yes, in the shopping cart it showed an AS codeshare flight number.

The initial segment's miles (on AS) have posted already. How long, in the experience of folks who've done this, does it take for the AA segment's miles to post?
Originally Posted by flymonthly
My last couple of AA flights (AS codeshares) took about a week to post to my AS account.
Originally Posted by CDKing
Sounds like AS coded, AA operated take longer than AA coded AA operated? I'm not sure if the weekend had anything to do with it but I did separate itin's AS on Friday and AA on Saturday and both posted the same day on a Wednesday.
Originally Posted by flymonthly
My last AS coded AA operated flight was a few weeks ago on a Wednesday and it probably posted Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. IIRC, AA flights used to post weekly overnight Tuesday so maybe that's still the schedule.
It's been more than a week now. I reached out to the AS Twitter Team. Got a response that it could take up to two weeks.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
what's the current change fee / redeposit fee for MVP Golds+ on award tickets? having trouble finding what it used to be but understand there are some changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.