Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

A new year and a new thread.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 1, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: Remove mod request.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
75Ks get new luggage tags each year.

Last edited by Idaho Territory; Jan 3, 2018 at 5:12 pm Reason: Showed up in the mail today.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Deleted

Last edited by FTNNBP; Jan 2, 2018 at 6:42 pm Reason: Moved to JL award thread
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:35 pm

I moved my question from 2017 to 2018 forum
I understand that you can book AS award at 11 months out. I want to book one way trip to Boston with stop over in LAX (my home base) then Lisbon.
For example BOS-LAX May 15 2018
LAX- LIS Sept 9 2018
After I fly the 1st segment, Can I change my 2nd segment to May 2019? Since I can only book 11 month out, so I am thinking about booking any date in Sep then change it later when the award in May 2019 is open up. I don't mind paying for the change fee. I just want to know if this allow

I posted the same question in the wrong forum and someone told me that I can't can't change an award reservation after the first segment has been flown. Is this correct?

They also told me that my routing (back track) is not allow. ( I read from one of the blog said that back track is allow). So, I search on AS website with the same exact itinerary above. I am able to redeem my mile 45K+$47.40 for 2 one way tickets with for this route. I have not book the award because I want to know if I can change the date on my 2nd section. Any advice?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by travelbug2225
They also told me that my routing (back track) is not allow. ( I read from one of the blog said that back track is allow). So, I search on AS website with the same exact itinerary above. I am able to redeem my mile 45K+$47.40 for 2 one way tickets with for this route. I have not book the award because I want to know if I can change the date on my 2nd section. Any advice?
If it's 45k for an economy award to LIS, that means it's actually pricing as two separate awards: 12.5k for a one-way domestic flight for your BOS-LAX segment and 32.5k for LAX-LHR-LIS on BA. If the backtracking were allowed, it'd only be 32.5k.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No comment.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:35 am

Trying to book travel for my elderly parents Alaska MSP to HNL. They prefer to break the trip up. Given that Alaska has options for an overnight stay in different airports such as San Diego San Francisco Seattle are there any recommendations amongst for members for which airport as the best and most convenient hotels and second question is will they need to get all of their luggage after the first leg and recheck in all of their luggage for the second leg if it is all booked as one flight?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by toolate
Trying to book travel for my elderly parents Alaska MSP to HNL. They prefer to break the trip up. Given that Alaska has options for an overnight stay in different airports such as San Diego San Francisco Seattle are there any recommendations amongst for members for which airport as the best and most convenient hotels and second question is will they need to get all of their luggage after the first leg and recheck in all of their luggage for the second leg if it is all booked as one flight?
Most Airports have Many Hotels near the Airport and Frequent shuttle busses in most cases. Elderly can Indicate a lot of things whereas I think mobility comes most into play in these instances so that factor weighs greatly here. As the walk to the Shuttle pick up area may or may not be a factor for them. If mobility is a factor than any Airport is going to present a slight or moderate challenge. I believe on an Overnight mid-Journey, you would need to collect bags. There is a timeframe qualifier like 10 or more hours iirc.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I concur with @flyupfrnt. Their mobility will be a significant factor in choosing the best airport. Access to a preferred hotel chain, or at least one on the airport, will also be in play. Will they want to camp out at the hotel to rest up for the next day, or will they want to explore?

SEA: Plenty of hotels nearby with some providing shuttles. Others are close enough to walk to, depending upon one's mobility. Light Rail to downtown, if they want to head downtown.
PDX: I don't know much about this airport but there are hotels nearby and light rail access to downtown.
SFO: Plenty of hotels with shuttles near the airport. Train access to downtown. Taxi to downtown will run $40-$50, based on my last experience five years ago.
SAN: On the north side of downtown with plenty of nearby hotels, though none at the terminal. Shuttles or taxis will be plentiful and getting to their hotel should not present a problem. Weather will be a plus. During winter, I'd send my parents through SAN for a layover vs. rainy SEA/PDX.

The only caution I'd give is in regard to handing IRROPS. For airports with only one flight per day to their destination, if things go sideways then the inconveniences may become more than the parents want to or can handle. So the reality may be that MSP-HNL is best done on AS going through SEA, if you want to keep it to one connection and with the best chance of a stress-free recovery from any IRROPS situation.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75k
All of the airports have fairly close hotels with shuttles from/to the airport. You would need to keep the connection time under 12 hours to avoid having to retrieve their luggage. I would tend to stick with the smaller PDX or SAN airports since they may be easier to get around (especially in the morning) but they probably have fewer flights. Depending on the time of year, weather might be a factor for them except at SAN.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it possible to book an AS domestic segment and partner airline segments on the same award? e.g., MCI-SFO-HKG on a single 70k J award.

Is it possible to book partner codeshares on a partner award? e.g., MCI-ATL-CDG on a single Air France award, where MCI-ATL is actually operated by DL but has an AF flight number.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I concur with @flyupfrnt. Their mobility will be a significant factor in choosing the best airport. Access to a preferred hotel chain, or at least one on the airport, will also be in play. Will they want to camp out at the hotel to rest up for the next day, or will they want to explore?

SEA: Plenty of hotels nearby with some providing shuttles. Others are close enough to walk to, depending upon one's mobility. Light Rail to downtown, if they want to head downtown.
PDX: I don't know much about this airport but there are hotels nearby and light rail access to downtown.
SFO: Plenty of hotels with shuttles near the airport. Train access to downtown. Taxi to downtown will run $40-$50, based on my last experience five years ago.
SAN: On the north side of downtown with plenty of nearby hotels, though none at the terminal. Shuttles or taxis will be plentiful and getting to their hotel should not present a problem. Weather will be a plus. During winter, I'd send my parents through SAN for a layover vs. rainy SEA/PDX.

The only caution I'd give is in regard to handing IRROPS. For airports with only one flight per day to their destination, if things go sideways then the inconveniences may become more than the parents want to or can handle. So the reality may be that MSP-HNL is best done on AS going through SEA, if you want to keep it to one connection and with the best chance of a stress-free recovery from any IRROPS situation.
thank you for this. Unfortunately all of the connections are more than 12 hours at site seems like they need to pick up their bag which is a bit of a headache although if they can find a porter and there is a shuttle maybe that will be manageable.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pinniped
Is it possible to book an AS domestic segment and partner airline segments on the same award? e.g., MCI-SFO-HKG on a single 70k J award.

Is it possible to book partner codeshares on a partner award? e.g., MCI-ATL-CDG on a single Air France award, where MCI-ATL is actually operated by DL but has an AF flight number.
1) AS+Partner is ok.
2) No must be partner marketed and operated
Old Jan 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
1) AS+Partner is ok.
2) No must be partner marketed and operated
Perfect...thanks. Guess my AS award redemptions are going to have to be westbound then.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:36 pm

VA Gold To Alaska Mileage Plan

Few questions I’m hoping to get answered-
1.) Just made Gold Status on elevate before the new year, but when I log into my Alaska Account it shows I don’t have any status- any idea when it will
convert and if I’ll be MVP Gold?
2.) VA Golds would get 2 discount codes to use towards 25 percent off a flight on VA. Since I qualified for VA Gold before the end of the year will I still get this perk?
3.). Alaska upgrades its status members to first class, any idea if this will carry over to VA flights and if so when? Currently we just get upgraded to MCS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.