Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:12 am

LATAM recently began selling tickets on their new TLV - GRU route (LA 713 / LA 712).
How long do you think it will take for Alaska to add it to their award chart (Middle East to South America) ? how often do they even update it ?
Thanks ahead.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Rosenamit
LATAM recently began selling tickets on their new TLV - GRU route (LA 713 / LA 712).
How long do you think it will take for Alaska to add it to their award chart (Middle East to South America) ? how often do they even update it ?
Thanks ahead.
They wont. The partnership is specifically for those in north america to travel to South America. If you look at all of AS partnerships they are set up the same way. For instance AF & EK go to south America and never had charts for it.
Rosenamit likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
They wont. The partnership is specifically for those in north america to travel to South America. If you look at all of AS partnerships they are set up the same way. For instance AF & EK go to south America and never had charts for it.
However, you will be able to credit revenue tickets to AS at 100% for most Y fares on the new route.

James
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
However, you will be able to credit revenue tickets to AS at 100% for most Y fares on the new route.

James
That's always good. Its so hard to find 100% earning fares these days.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Rosenamit
Thanks ahead.
what an awesome new route .. we got HKG TLV on CX and TLV GRU on LA.. never been to TLV but seems like a good a time as ever yeah.. you’ll never see that award on AS chart tho
Old Apr 6, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
That's always good. Its so hard to find 100% earning fares these days.
I am piecing together a mileage run starting in Sydney and ending in Tokyo routing through Auckland, Fiji, Easter Island, Santiago, Madrid and Seoul on QF, LA and KE with ~20K EQM snd 45K RDM for USD $720 next month. LA really helps with RDM.

James
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:02 pm

Before the airfrance partnership end was announced, I had booked the following ticket, on 057 (AirFrance) stock, with AF numbers, on the same ticket number/same PNR.

Cairo - Paris - Seattle (first segment on AirFrance metal, AF eligible numbers for alaska mileage; second leg delta metal so ineligible for alaska mileage with ineligible af number).

If i don't put in any frequent flyer number initially, can I send in the first segment to Alaska, and second segment to Delta, for split mileage accrual?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Before the airfrance partnership end was announced, I had booked the following ticket, on 057 (AirFrance) stock, with AF numbers, on the same ticket number/same PNR.

Cairo - Paris - Seattle (first segment on AirFrance metal, AF eligible numbers for alaska mileage; second leg delta metal so ineligible for alaska mileage with ineligible af number).

If i don't put in any frequent flyer number initially, can I send in the first segment to Alaska, and second segment to Delta, for split mileage accrual?
Yes as long as it was booked before the partnership end was announcd. If after the announcement travel must complete by April 30th as that is the end date. Can you specify FF#s separately for each segment? If so, try adding them now. Make sure to save your boarding passes. I like to snap a picture of them. It makes it easy to submit them for manual credit and should one go missing you won't be out of luck.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
I apologize if this has been discussed. I searched but couldn’t find anything.

What is the “Electronic Bag Tag” referring to on the app? When I check my luggage now it will show my tracking number in the app under this section. However, it seems like there is an option to sync with your own electronic bag tag device when checking in. I googled a little bit couldn’t find much about these devices. Anyone know more about this entire process?
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Whowouldanewman
I apologize if this has been discussed. I searched but couldn’t find anything.

What is the “Electronic Bag Tag” referring to on the app? When I check my luggage now it will show my tracking number in the app under this section. However, it seems like there is an option to sync with your own electronic bag tag device when checking in. I googled a little bit couldn’t find much about these devices. Anyone know more about this entire process?
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...onic-bag-tags/

Alaska has never announced anything further, so either it's still in testing or has been shelved. If it's it in the app, I'm guessing it's still being tested.

Very brief FT thread here:
Electronic bag tags
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...onic-bag-tags/

Alaska has never announced anything further, so either it's still in testing or has been shelved. If it's it in the app, I'm guessing it's still being tested.

Very brief FT thread here:
Electronic bag tags
I get that often, (when checking a bag). Last time I asked I was told the test is over, but those that were eligible to participate in the beta testing still got the notice on the app even though some (like me) did not actually partake in the test. The GA tried to send a note to someone in AS to send me an electronic bag tag but I never got one.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 3:00 pm
vji

I am on flight as1399 in a few weeks. I checked flightstats for this flight and the largest delay is over two hours but the average delay is 30 minutes.

I have an event I have to make that is two hours after the scheduled arrival time (with one hour travel time, so I have one hour of wiggle room).

My question is - how often do delays past an hour happen? This seems to be the earliest flight to LAX so they can't really put me on anything earlier.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vji
This seems to be the earliest flight to LAX so they can't really put me on anything earlier.
If it's crucial that you're on time to the event, fly to LAX the night before.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:45 pm
vji

Originally Posted by jinglish
If it's crucial that you're on time to the event, fly to LAX the night before.
Sounds good, and I think that's what I'm going to do.

If I want to avoid the change fees (post 24 hrs, pre 60 days) and I am not Gold/75k, is it possible to do so? I see an option to cancel the ticket and apply the value to a future reservation, but that would incur change fees. If I plan to make Gold next year, could I cancel this ticket, make gold, then use this ticket's funds toward the value of a future ticket to avoid the change fee (as I would then be gold in 2019)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
For Alaska’s Qantas double miles promotion I am booking

JFK LAX MEL SYD MEL LAX JFK -

all legs on Qantas but per the rules I will only earn double miles on LAX MEL and MEL LAX? Does that sound about right? Just trying to get 75K status out of the way sooner than later. 64,750 miles earned as Gold 75K with the MEL route - or 64,750 if I do the JFK LAX SYD LAX JFK route. Wow, same miles earned (if MEL route doesn’t earn JFK LAX JFK which I suspect it doesn’t)

Fly direct between:

Los Angeles and Brisbane
Los Angeles and Melbourne
Los Angeles and Sydney
Dallas/Fort Worth and Sydney
New York and Sydney (via Los Angeles)
San Francisco and Sydney
Vancouver, BC and Sydney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.