Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:54 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
For Alaska’s Qantas double miles promotion I am booking

JFK LAX MEL SYD MEL LAX JFK -

all legs on Qantas but per the rules I will only earn double miles on LAX MEL and MEL LAX? Does that sound about right? Just trying to get 75K status out of the way sooner than later. 64,750 miles earned as Gold 75K with the MEL route - or 64,750 if I do the JFK LAX SYD LAX JFK route. Wow, same miles earned (if MEL route doesn’t earn JFK LAX JFK which I suspect it doesn’t)

Fly direct between:

Los Angeles and Brisbane
Los Angeles and Melbourne
Los Angeles and Sydney
Dallas/Fort Worth and Sydney
New York and Sydney (via Los Angeles)
San Francisco and Sydney
Vancouver, BC and Sydney
Terms and conditions:*To qualify for this promotion, members must register by October 31, 2017, and prior to their first qualifying flight. Registered members will receive the double base miles earned on economy fares booked in Q, O, N, S, V, M, L, G, K, H, B, and Y class of service. Double miles offer is valid only on qualifying paid flights between Dallas (DFW), New York - Kennedy (JFK), San Francisco (SFO), or Vancouver, BC (YVR) and Sydney (SYD), and between Los Angeles (LAX) and Brisbane (BNE), Melbourne (MEL), or Sydney (SYD) from November 1, 2017, through May 31, 2018. All travel must be completed by May 31, 2018. Flights must be marketed and operated by Qantas. Flights must be flown in the eligible economy classes of service listed above. Flight miles must be credited to your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account in order to earn double miles. Not valid on free or award travel. Double miles do not count toward Mileage Plan elite status. Please allow four to six weeks for miles to be credited to your Mileage Plan account. All terms and conditions of the Mileage Plan program apply. Offer subject to change without notice.

Remember that the double miles are not EQM. The EQM is based on the distance betwern JFK & SYD as QF12 is a direct 1-stop flight not the sum of JFK-LAX & LAX-SYD. Distance according to milecalc.com is 9,950 each way so 19,900 return.

JFK-LAX-SYD-LAX-JFK

EQM 19,900 DOUBLE 19,900 75K 24,876 = 64,676

JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD-MEL-LAX-JFK

RQM 21,792 DOUBLE 15,842 75K 27,240 = 64,874

As you can see, mileage credit is slightly less with the first itinerary because it is a direct, 1-stop fare. More importantly, the second itinerary has 1,892 MORE EQM because of the extra MEL-SYS-MEL segments that are < 500 miles but credit as 500 minimum and the distance LAX-MEL is further than LAX-SYD.

As long as you registered for the promotion on or before October 31, 2017 you are good to go. For requalification the second itinerary is the better option.

James
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:09 am

More AA Confusion

Sorry guys. Does a flight like this quality for mileage plan miles? It's booked through Alaskan ($30 premium vs booking with AA!) and has an Alaskan Number attached, but the flight shows American everywhere else...
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:26 am
vji

Originally Posted by framerate

Sorry guys. Does a flight like this quality for mileage plan miles? It's booked through Alaskan ($30 premium vs booking with AA!) and has an Alaskan Number attached, but the flight shows American everywhere else...
This is an American operated flight with an Alaska codeshare - it should qualify.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by framerate
Yes if AA flight it shows an AS code after adding to the cart its eligible for earning.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...onic-bag-tags/

Alaska has never announced anything further, so either it's still in testing or has been shelved. If it's it in the app, I'm guessing it's still being tested.

Very brief FT thread here:
Electronic bag tags
Thank you, very helpful! It would be cool to see them roll this out!
Old Apr 9, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by vji
Sounds good, and I think that's what I'm going to do.

If I want to avoid the change fees (post 24 hrs, pre 60 days) and I am not Gold/75k, is it possible to do so? I see an option to cancel the ticket and apply the value to a future reservation, but that would incur change fees. If I plan to make Gold next year, could I cancel this ticket, make gold, then use this ticket's funds toward the value of a future ticket to avoid the change fee (as I would then be gold in 2019)?

Thanks!
^Yes, that should work. I can't remember if there's an option in the online cancel or you have to go through a live agent, but you can cancel without refunding the value of the ticket until later.

You may need to call in after you make Gold if your current status gets stuck on the ticket, but they should waive it (see Post #1 & #6 here for an example). You can get the ticket value in the form of a credit certificate+PIN or directly into MyWallet.

Note that the one year expiration for the ticket value is from your original ticket and not from the date the credit certificate/MyWallet funds are created.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Alaska
Is there a FAQ about tips/tricks for Alaska Airlines mileage plan?

Hi, I'm new here. I've got 270,000 miles on Alaska plan. I'm trying to book a flight to London this Fall using miles. Surprised to see so few flights available ... and they are not great flights :-( I've read some posts here, and it looks like I need to book 11 months in advance (!) to get decent flights. This looks like a great forum, and I'll continue reading through it, but there are so many posts. Question: is there a post here in this forum that summarizes the tips & tricks for Alaska mileage plan (how to book to get decent flights with few connections)?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Question withdrawn as no one responded....

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 11, 2018 at 5:32 pm
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Any datapoints on whether or not EC (OpenSkies by BA) credits? The BA flight number falls within the allowable range. And there are a few posts here that allude that it might credit.

I'm mostly curious if it is treated the same way as AA-coded OO flights (credits to mp) or HU-coded HX flights (does not credit).
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:03 pm

[post redacted by moderator as all trades and giveaways are to be handled in The Coupon Connection]
Mauibaby2008 likes this.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 10, 2018 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
^^ thank you, but it will only work if you are on the same reservation / or the same last name is on the reservation used with the promo code. Somebody could correct me on the last part ..
Schumi5 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
^^ thank you, but it will only work if you are on the same reservation / or the same last name is on the reservation used with the promo code. Somebody could correct me on the last part ..
Passengers: Recipient of this Discount Code must be the purchaser or one of the travelers. Up to 2 people per Discount Code, traveling together and booked and ticketed at the same time in the same reservation and at the same fare.
That's what the T&C says...
Schumi5 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
We must have the same birthday. I got the same email, exact same dates.
Schumi5 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
We must have the same birthday. I got the same email, exact same dates.
Happy Birthday for next month then

Originally Posted by rustykettel
That's what the T&C says...
Damn, ah well its the thought that counts haha. can't say i didn't offer
rustykettel likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Schumi5
Happy Birthday for next month then.
And to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.