Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by CDKing
The benefit applies to tickets on AS stock only. It may also trigger a reprice as its likely EK HYD-HNL fare, AS cannot make changes to reservation booked through EK. It may be best to just no-show the last segment unless the EK change fee and fare difference saves you money. Some of the sample dates I looked at EK HYD-SFO is $500 cheaper than HYD-HNL so may be worth contracting emirates.
Thanks! Yes, it appears (surprisingly) that the open jaw may be cheaper or the same (I have not booked yet thankfully)!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
How far out does AS generally know its menus in F for a given flight?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Free agent!
Upgrade question

I'm on a transcon flight out of PDX on Sunday morning and there are four seats remaining in F. However, they are all window seats, which I would not prefer on such a long flight, except for the seat in row one. If my upgrade clears to any of the other seats, is it possible to switch back to my exit row aisle seat via the app or website or would I have to call?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by cblaisd
How far out does AS generally know its menus in F for a given flight?
Menus are rotated quarterly according to the April Alaska Beyond via beckoa in the Alaska elevates First Class menu thread.
​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I'm on a transcon flight out of PDX on Sunday morning and there are four seats remaining in F. However, they are all window seats, which I would not prefer on such a long flight, except for the seat in row one. If my upgrade clears to any of the other seats, is it possible to switch back to my exit row aisle seat via the app or website or would I have to call?
Youll have to call because you'll be in U once your upgrade clears.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Youll have to call because you'll be in U once your upgrade clears.

Agreed, if all the aisle seats in F are taken, call AS and ask to be removed from the upgrade list if you want to keep your Y aisle.

James
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Why would you want the aisle in first though? You'll have people bumping you as they board, you'll have people standing with their butt in your face waiting for the bathroom, and then they'll bump you as they walk back to their seats.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by quemalo
Why would you want the aisle in first though? You'll have people bumping you as they board, you'll have people standing with their butt in your face waiting for the bathroom, and then they'll bump you as they walk back to their seats.
I board as a late as possible, so it's usually not a problem. Generally speaking, I prefer the aisle as I can get out of my seats without bothering my seatmate.

Thanks for the advice, rustykettel and Flying for Fun.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:16 am

Can I book a JL operated flight and JL codeshare flight (Cathay operated) with a stop in TYO on the same itinerary?
Sorry for the noob question...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Rosenamit
Can I book a JL operated flight and JL codeshare flight (Cathay operated) with a stop in TYO on the same itinerary?
If you are talking about a points booking, no, codeshares are not allowed, also no mixing and matching of partners.

If you are talking about earning points on a cash booking, officially per the rules its not eligible but in practice its credited since its flown by a partner, assuming the fare qualifies.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Is "W"...

...the fare bucket for a mileage ticket?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
...the fare bucket for a mileage ticket?
W is saver economy
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
why not just book with Cathay, it’s a lot cheaper in miles anyways. I think 50K Alaska vs 65k
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:19 am

If I were to fly Cathay Pacific business class award ticket from BKK to JFK would I be able to do the following routing for no additional cost?
Routing:

Wed, May 16
11:50 AM – 3:25 PM
Bangkok (BKK) – Singapore (SIN)

Thu, May 17
12:55 PM – 5:05 PM
Singapore (SIN) – Hong Kong (HKG)

Sun, May 20
4:15 PM – 1:00 PM
Hong Kong (HKG) – Vancouver (YVR)

Sun, May 20
10:55 PM – 7:00 AM+1
Vancouver (YVR) – New York City (JFK)

All flights are operated by Cathay and I relied on the fact that a layover under 23 hours is considered a connection and not a stopover and on the fact that Cathay allows for a stopover in HKG.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were to fly Cathay Pacific business class award ticket from BKK to JFK would I be able to do the following routing for no additional cost?
Routing:

Wed, May 16
11:50 AM – 3:25 PM
Bangkok (BKK) – Singapore (SIN)

Thu, May 17
12:55 PM – 5:05 PM
Singapore (SIN) – Hong Kong (HKG)

Sun, May 20
4:15 PM – 1:00 PM
Hong Kong (HKG) – Vancouver (YVR)

Sun, May 20
10:55 PM – 7:00 AM+1
Vancouver (YVR) – New York City (JFK)

All flights are operated by Cathay and I relied on the fact that a layover under 23 hours is considered a connection and not a stopover and on the fact that Cathay allows for a stopover in HKG.
Nope cant take advantage of the tech stops like that especially BKK-SIN-HKG, Must continue on the same plane unless you are using the stop-over. stop-over is only allowed at HKG but sometimes allowed where you switch from CX to AS metal
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
W is saver economy
Hmmm...

Is it possible then for a return flight to be credited before an outbound?

I've gotten our miles for the return (tickets booked as two one-ways), but not for the outbound. For the outbound all I have is the BP which says it is W, and I honestly got the tickets sooo long ago I can't remember if we paid cash or used miles. But if you say W is for a paid ticket, then I guess I have to submit for credit.

Update: I just looked in my old e-mails and found the original - it WAS a mileage ticket, mystery solved

Last edited by Eujeanie; Apr 14, 2018 at 9:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.