Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
I currently have an award ticket JFK-HKG-NRT (CX F). If I'm right, I can add a domestic award on AS to this award ticket.

Will it be a problem to add SEA-JFK on AS to this ticket? Can only a "saver award" (A) added to this award ticket or also "refundable award" (D).

Thanks in advance for your response!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cblaisd
My thanks to you both!

Wish someone would create the same Chrome extension for the AS website that @sbm12 created for UA's that shows all fare buckets.
The data isn't in the underlying webpage for me to surface through an extension like that. Sorry.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jongesander
I currently have an award ticket JFK-HKG-NRT (CX F). If I'm right, I can add a domestic award on AS to this award ticket.

Will it be a problem to add SEA-JFK on AS to this ticket? Can only a "saver award" (A) added to this award ticket or also "refundable award" (D).

Only saver (A or W) can be used for AS segments with partner awards. Mixed cabins are ok.

In the past this was considered backtracking and wasn't allowed. However, I have seen such routings show up on the website now with other partners but not sure if a live agent will allow it as you can't book CX on the website.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:46 pm

When can I expect another buy miles promotion AS sale? I am short a little more than 15,000 miles of purchasing an award.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:10 pm

If an Alaska flight got cancelled and they had to rebook me on a United flight will I still get EQMs?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by jimikim
If an Alaska flight got cancelled and they had to rebook me on a United flight will I still get EQMs?
I've successfully requested original routing credit for both EQM & RDM via email along with copies of my ticket receipt and original boarding passes.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:28 pm

what to do for idb?

First time being told I cannot board, I had a coach seat selected when I checked in last night, then it said Y converted to U with the mvp gold status, and that the seat will be assigned at the airport. I figured it was just a F seat I’d have to get last minute. I got to the gate and told the flight is oversold and to wait. It’s 15 minutes to door closure and I am wondering if it was the F class upgrade and then the 800 to 700 downgrade that cost me. They offered to rebook and a $250 travel voucher but a hotel for the night will cost nearly that, I didn’t accept it.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by alaskan9974
First time being told I cannot board, I had a coach seat selected when I checked in last night, then it said Y converted to U with the mvp gold status, and that the seat will be assigned at the airport. I figured it was just a F seat I’d have to get last minute. I got to the gate and told the flight is oversold and to wait. It’s 15 minutes to door closure and I am wondering if it was the F class upgrade and then the 800 to 700 downgrade that cost me. They offered to rebook and a $250 travel voucher but a hotel for the night will cost nearly that, I didn’t accept it.
Involuntary denied boarding compensation

If you are involuntarily denied boarding, we will rebook you to your destination as soon as possible. You will also be eligible for the following compensation:

Rebooked to arrive at your destination within 1 hr: No compensation

Domestic flights rebooked to arrive 1-2 hours later, or international flights 1-4 hours later: 200% of the value of the affected flight segment(s). ($675 max)

Domestic flights rebooked to arrive 2 or more hours later, or international flights 4 or more hours later: 400% of the value of the affected flight segment(s). ($1350 max)

* You may elect not to travel. In this case, we will refund the affected flight segments in addition to your monetary compensation. In lieu of the predetermined monetary compensation listed above, eligible involuntarily denied customers can choose to accept the same compensation package offered to volunteers on their flight.

Strange that Alaska wouldn't offer a hotel if the next available flight wasn't until the next day.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I couldn't find a recent thread on this, so apologies if it's been asked elsewhere.

Mileage is taking about one week to post to my account right now... I seem to remember it taking only a few days before. For example, it's now 4/23 and my most recent flight posted to my account was 4/16. Is this normal or are things delayed right now? I have about 4 other flights between 4/16 and 4/23 that I'm waiting on posting....
Old Apr 24, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jimikim
Not only could you request the original routing credit with Alaska, but they will almost certainly have booked you in a revenue class on United and you could also get United miles for that flight.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by jongesander

Unless you need to be in New York, you should get it changed to HKG-YVR-SEA
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:19 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As an MVPG, I understand that if I cancel a ticket, the value goes into My Wallet for future use.

My question is whether those Wallet funds are segregated by ticket or aggregated?

I.e., I may need to know which was a canceled ticket bought with the work credit card (and to use for future work trips) and which were personal trips.

If they're aggregated, I guess I need to keep a separate spreadsheet.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by cblaisd
As an MVPG, I understand that if I cancel a ticket, the value goes into My Wallet for future use.

My question is whether those Wallet funds are segregated by ticket or aggregated?

I.e., I may need to know which was a canceled ticket bought with the work credit card (and to use for future work trips) and which were personal trips.

If they're aggregated, I guess I need to keep a separate spreadsheet.
The wallet balance that you apply to a new ticket is aggregated in that you can't specify applying a certain credit to your purchase. But, the wallet history (in the My Account page) lets you view all of the separate transactions and expiration dates that went into your wallet.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 9:49 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you!

Can you choose only a portion of My Wallet funds to apply to a new ticket?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:40 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Cannot join MP

Tried using Linux with Firefox and Tablet with Chrome, and at all times get an error:
Originally Posted by AS.com

Error Encountered

Our web server encountered an internal error. It was logged to aid our staff in finding a solution.Please try your transaction again. If the problem persists, call Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522).Server Name:

Server Time: 4/26/2018 8:37:23 AM

HTTP Request User Host: 157.52.86.42

Error ID: B81767AC-9D39-4B92-AB6E-11D8B651A520
Tried using a simple username, same with 11 at end (in case it was already taken), email address, no go for half hour

Yes, using lower/upper/number in password.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.